Conquer Club

[GP] [Rules] Eliminate Deferred Troops

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Get rid of "deferred" troops after missing a turn

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

I'm not a moderator...

Classis responses though... once again nowhere close ontopicness what so ever at all...

Despite all of my responses trying to get the replies to well constructed arguments - aka ON topic...

If you had a point I'm sure that you would have some evidence as to where the widespread turn skipping advantage is...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby BoganGod on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm

jefjef wrote:
BoganGod wrote:going no where.... what a surprise :roll:

No one has yet proved the point that in the majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser(yes I just created a word, sorry grammar Nazis). The isolated cases quoted here do not a strong case make. I'm sure if someone could be arsed going through and taking a random sample of say about 200turns missed, they would not that the person missing loses more times than wins....... Of course no one will bother doing that, its so much easier to grab personal frustrating examples of people wasting ones precious time, and brood on the time lost in public..... Useful thread though, proves that people like a dog returning to its vomit will continue to regurgitate the same old shit, then eat it because they like the taste. Someone say something logical and original, aside from Incandenza who I applaud for using logic in a vain attempt to make feather filled heads think rather than emote. Anyone? Doubt that I'll find a sensible post when I return to view this thread in a few days.

Speaking of regurgitation. I'm going to vomit again. Feel free to lick it up.

No one is saying/claiming that "majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser" or a "consistently viable strategy". :roll:

But there are undeniably some game situations that a missed turn can be successfully used as a strategy.

As lindax stated "the mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops".

Now bogan I know you love the deferred and are here defending it because your one of many who misses butt loads of turns. It makes you shrug and go "O well, I get my deferment and I get to put a pile on partner :D ".

I bet if there was no deferred you would:
A) Not miss so many
B) Not have soo many games active.

An yeti. <yawn> :roll: There are situations where it is not a "penalty".

Kiss the bunny between the ears sunshine. I have 99% turns taken, mainly because I worked in a remote location where there wasn't internet(they swore that had reliable net, sadly they lied) in the dim dark days long ago, where I didn't have sitters, so I deadbeated out of quite a few games. I have bugger all active games, most of my games are team games so turns don't come up as often.... Now back to topic.
"the mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops"

if we were dealing in possibilities.... there is a possibility that idiots might win a game because of good dice. So look forward to someone starting a suggestion thread on IQ tests for players.....
There is a possibility that the sky might fall on our heads, lets all walk on our hands so the sky lands on our feet... :roll:

There are penalties in place. Leave it as that, go find another windmill, maybe land rights for dyslexic whales? To your credit JefJef at least your not a single issue pinko. =D>
Corporal BoganGod

Postby jefjef on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm

yeti_c wrote:I'm not a moderator...

Classis responses though... once again nowhere close ontopicness what so ever at all...

Despite all of my responses trying to get the replies to well constructed arguments - aka ON topic...

If you had a point I'm sure that you would have some evidence as to where the widespread turn skipping advantage is...

C.

READ SLOWLY.

NO ONE IS SAYING THERE IS WIDE SPREAD TURN SKIPPING ADVANTAGES. THERE ARE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT PLAYERS ACTUALLY BENEFIT FROM IT> ABUSE IT

As for bogus god. :roll:
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby BoganGod on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 pm

JIFFIE, READ S L O W L Y

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THERE ARE NOT ISOLATED CASES WHERE PLAYERS ACTUALLY BENEFIT FROM MISSING TURNS. WHAT IS BEEN SAID IS THAT IN THE MAJORITY OF CASES THERE IS DISADVANTAGE NOT ADVANTAGE IN MISSING A TURN......... I THINK WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THAT. SIMPLE REALLY, ANYONE CAN DO THE MATH.

SO BACK TO THE QUESTION OF POSSIBILITY VS PROBABILITY MAYBE?

ARE THE CURRENT PUNITIVE ACTIONS IN PLACE ALREADY PENALTY ENOUGH? HALF THE PEOPLE SAY YES, THE OTHER HALF NO. I happen to think they are enough, and there is more evidence, in fact no one can argue reasonably against the fact that the current measures do insure that the person missing turns/turn loses most of the time.

THIS IS BECOMING AN EMOTIONAL ISSUE FOR SOME, RATHER THAN AN EXERCISE IN LOGIC. THEN AGAIN WHO SAID GAMES AND RULES HAVE TO BE ALL ABOUT LOGIC. Emote and enjoy :)

Over to you JefJef
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Then why is your name all sparkly-glowy? If you're not a moderator, whatever you are...your cohorts at the tech department must be so proud of you.

Tone it down, keep on topic or take a forum vacation.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:

Then why is your name all sparkly-glowy? If you're not a moderator, whatever you are...your cohorts at the tech department must be so proud of you.

Tone it down, keep on topic or take a forum vacation.

He is a volunteer.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 am

Alright, since this has turned basically into off-topic banter and baiting, i shall be locking it. Feel free to open up a new Thread, if you keep it civil.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Re: Eliminate deferred troops on first turn only

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am

alex951 wrote:I like this. You get punished for not taking your first turn but how will this affect new NR who are I think likely to miss their first turns?

The question in my mind is how many NRs who miss their first turn also miss their second and third turns? What is the likelihood that a NR first-turn misser will also deadbeat the game?

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby alex951 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:42 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:
alex951 wrote:I like this. You get punished for not taking your first turn but how will this affect new NR who are I think likely to miss their first turns?

The question in my mind is how many NRs who miss their first turn also miss their second and third turns? What is the likelihood that a NR first-turn misser will also deadbeat the game?

true true but i like this better then completely doing away with deferred troops

or maybe losing troops every turn. ex instead of receiving the full 3 troops you only get 2
Corporal alex951

Re: Recovering Armies For Missed Turns

Postby VectorxMan on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 pm

how about leaving it the way it currently is (deploy at end of turn).

for those 90 people who voted saying to get rid of the missed turn reinforcements.
Life > CC
people miss turns. get over it yall
If it is illegal to grow cannabis then by man's law, God, creator of all plants is a criminal.
    ~Bob Marley
Private 1st Class VectorxMan

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Was there really a need to bring this thread up? You know, it's been nearly 3 years since anyone posted...
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby scovey on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 pm

There is no way that you should get your back armies when you miss a turn(s).

1) the game is meant to be played at least once in a 24 hour period. We don't need to kick anyone out when they miss a turn, but it's THEIR responsibility to keep track and make their moves within the rules of the game.

2) It just changes the game to much when someone puts down two or three turns of armies all at once. That's a big advantage to the person skipping turns because they can see how the game is going, and then decide where they want to put down a massive army and poach. NOT FAIR

and

3) In NO WAY is it the same as just deploying, reinforcing, and ending your turn. I play mostly fog of war games, and trying to keep track of your opponents armies is a big part of the game. Having a giant army just show up out of nowhere, and on the territory of the players choosing, instead of being hidden on a "?" territory IS NOT the same. This DRAMATICALLY changes the game for the benefit of the player missing turns. NOT FAIR AT ALL, and takes away greatly from my enjoyment of trying to win the game FAIRLY!!
Corporal scovey

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:42 pm

scovey wrote:There is no way that you should get your back armies when you miss a turn(s).

1) the game is meant to be played at least once in a 24 hour period. We don't need to kick anyone out when they miss a turn, but it's THEIR responsibility to keep track and make their moves within the rules of the game.

2) It just changes the game to much when someone puts down two or three turns of armies all at once. That's a big advantage to the person skipping turns because they can see how the game is going, and then decide where they want to put down a massive army and poach. NOT FAIR

and

3) In NO WAY is it the same as just deploying, reinforcing, and ending your turn. I play mostly fog of war games, and trying to keep track of your opponents armies is a big part of the game. Having a giant army just show up out of nowhere, and on the territory of the players choosing, instead of being hidden on a "?" territory IS NOT the same. This DRAMATICALLY changes the game for the benefit of the player missing turns. NOT FAIR AT ALL, and takes away greatly from my enjoyment of trying to win the game FAIRLY!!

You know there is a huge disadvantage to missing turns too, right? They don't get the ability to claim a card in card games, which can REALLY be crucial. If people attack them, then they don't get a chance to claim that territory back until either they get a turn in, or the turn AFTER they got the deferred troops. People RARELY will miss a turn, and come out in the plus. In my honest opinion, deferred troops = a turn where you drop down all your troops, then end. They aren't getting any extra bonus troops than you.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

missed turns

Postby Donlarry on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 pm

this guy missed a turn or to and when he came back they gave him all his guys on one shot so now he's winning that doesnt make any sense
Sergeant Donlarry

Re: missed turns

Postby #1_stunna on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm

it sucks.
12:17:31 ā€¹Pixarā€ŗ im gonna be fappin to that all night long
10:59:12 ā€¹rhp 1ā€ŗ holy hell... that did it.. I pissed myself
15:15:52 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ Sackett58, I think I may get some action this weekend
15:16:05 ā€¹Sackett58ā€ŗ Right hand or left Ace?
Major #1_stunna

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Donlarry wrote:this guy missed a turn or to and when he came back they gave him all his guys on one shot so now he's winning that doesnt make any sense

So punish them more-so? Basically give them no chance of coming back? They already lose a chance at breaking any bonuses, they lose a chance at defending their bonus for that turn, they lose a chance at a card, which can be VERY important.

Life causes players to miss turns. They already get punished for what I posted above. It's not like they get more troops then they would before.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby blakebowling on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I don't see a suggestion here, so I'm going to move this to the Archives. However if you would like to fill out the form and make a suggestion for change, feel free and I'll move it back, or you may start a new thread in Suggestions.
Private blakebowling

Postby HaireWolf1 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Deferred troops should be eliminated altogether. There are times when we all miss a turn and when that happens there should be no deferring of troops on the subsequent turn. We all like to move a game along at an adequate pace so making this rule change would definitely encourage faster play. And for the players that don't take their turns they face a pretty stiff penalty. It would also discourage intential deadbeating.
Sergeant HaireWolf1

Postby BullsEyeBullard on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:32 pm

If you miss a turn you should not get any troops!! Assassin games suck with deadbeats & then they get rewarded for missing turns!!!
Sergeant BullsEyeBullard

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 pm

BullsEyeBullard wrote:If you miss a turn you should not get any troops!! Assassin games suck with deadbeats & then they get rewarded for missing turns!!!

How are they rewarded? Are they given more troops than you? No. Turn 1- You earn 3, they miss and don't get any. Turn 2- You earn 3, they earn 3 + 3 deferred from last round. I don't see how they get rewarded.

Let's see some con's to missing turns.

A. You miss a chance at a card. (Which can be CRUCIAL in Flat Rate and Escalating)
B. You can't use the troops you get when you come back until the NEXT turn. They get deferred after your attacking phase.
C. You don't have a chance at breaking a bonus.
D. You don't have a chance at keeping/protecting your bonus.

So because life came up, or something to that affect, they are punished MORE so? Basically screwing them out of the game? I don't think so.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Woodruff on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 am

HaireWolf1 wrote:Deferred troops should be eliminated altogether. There are times when we all miss a turn and when that happens there should be no deferring of troops on the subsequent turn. We all like to move a game along at an adequate pace so making this rule change would definitely encourage faster play. And for the players that don't take their turns they face a pretty stiff penalty. It would also discourage intential deadbeating.

Why did you necro-bump a suggestion with a post that is not particularly relevant to that suggestion? Allegedly, that's considered against the rules, though I rarely see anything done about it.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to necro-bump a thread that relates to your post, or perhaps start a new thread if you couldn't find one of those many that do?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby HaireWolf1 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 am

Woodruff this thread does deal with deferred troops therefore I don't think I "necro-bumped" as you call it. If I did necro-bump I wasn't aware of it and would not have intentionally hijacked a thread.
Sergeant HaireWolf1

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:34 pm

HaireWolf1 wrote:Deferred troops should be eliminated altogether.

Agreed! This thread should be changed to eliminate deferred troops, not "on first turn only."

Yes, we all miss turns, sometimes even players who have set up substitutes, return to find their fill-in missed the turn, too. But of any game I've ever played, CC is the only game that tries to make it up to the player who missed. Even games that design a 'skip' option into them, have a penalty for skipping a turn.... but not CC. Saying, "but they miss a chance to take spoils," is not the same as a penalty for skipping the turn, because spoils are not guaranteed when the turn is taken appropriately, and not every player would even try for a spoils.

In CC, Deadbeating is not allowed, but that's missing 3 turns in a row...still, the implication is, "you should take your turns."

By giving players who miss their turns deferred troops, the game rewards missing turns.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:59 pm

stahrgazer wrote:

Agreed! This thread should be changed to eliminate deferred troops, not "on first turn only."

No - you guys should make your own suggestion thread, or find one of the countless times your suggestion has been rejected, and necro-bump one of those threads.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:35 pm

stahrgazer wrote:

Yes, we all miss turns, sometimes even players who have set up substitutes, return to find their fill-in missed the turn, too. But of any game I've ever played, CC is the only game that tries to make it up to the player who missed. Even games that design a 'skip' option into them, have a penalty for skipping a turn.... but not CC. Saying, "but they miss a chance to take spoils," is not the same as a penalty for skipping the turn, because spoils are not guaranteed when the turn is taken appropriately, and not every player would even try for a spoils.

In CC, Deadbeating is not allowed, but that's missing 3 turns in a row...still, the implication is, "you should take your turns."

By giving players who miss their turns deferred troops, the game rewards missing turns.

So let's be like all the other websites? Let's conform! Maybe we should add a resign button too because all the other websites offer it too... [/sarcasm]
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions