Conquer Club

The C.C.C.C.C

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you think this thread is a worthwhile endeavor (Can it be useful)?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes : 86

Re: Clan Information and Lists (Encyclopedia?)

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:24 am

Very nicely written zonny (you may want to do the write-up for your own clan!). I'd be happy to put together a bio on TOFU and would like to think heads/members of other clans are prepared to do similar so that it can all be found in one easy location (maintained by Leehar).
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby jpcloet on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 am

The first few issues of the Newsletter had some really foundational pieces on clans. Over time, leveraging that resource could also help produce some results.

Eg. Imperial Dragoons:

viewtopic.php?f=430&t=88261
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby amazzony on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:19 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:Very nicely written zonny (you may want to do the write-up for your own clan!). I'd be happy to put together a bio on TOFU and would like to think heads/members of other clans are prepared to do similar so that it can all be found in one easy location (maintained by Leehar).

Thanks! I think you are right, all the active clans would have no problem collecting data for their clan and putting together a summary. Though, first I think somekind of "form" should be created so all clans would have similar data. Of course, it might vary a bit due to differences between clans but a simple form should be the same for all of them for 2 reasons. First it would be easier to manage for Leehar and secondly when somebody is looking for data about different clans then there's an easy system. Don't know if I was able to explain my point enough but I can try to explain more if needed.

jpcloet wrote:The first few issues of the Newsletter had some really foundational pieces on clans. Over time, leveraging that resource could also help produce some results.

Eg. Imperial Dragoons:

This made me think that one point in Clanpedia could be "references" or whatever they are called. Basically they would be links to newsletter and to other places/topics where the clan is mentioned.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Leehar on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 am

amazzony wrote:
Chariot of Fire wrote:Very nicely written zonny (you may want to do the write-up for your own clan!). I'd be happy to put together a bio on TOFU and would like to think heads/members of other clans are prepared to do similar so that it can all be found in one easy location (maintained by Leehar).

Thanks! I think you are right, all the active clans would have no problem collecting data for their clan and putting together a summary. Though, first I think somekind of "form" should be created so all clans would have similar data. Of course, it might vary a bit due to differences between clans but a simple form should be the same for all of them for 2 reasons. First it would be easier to manage for Leehar and secondly when somebody is looking for data about different clans then there's an easy system. Don't know if I was able to explain my point enough but I can try to explain more if needed.

Yeah, the template would perhaps be pretty similar to those headings in the Tofu anniversary thread. That seperation was something I really liked was something I really liked.
And if clans are really willing to put together a more comprehensive bio on themselves which will really help give people a sense of who they are and what they're about than it can only be a positive

amazzony wrote:
jpcloet wrote:The first few issues of the Newsletter had some really foundational pieces on clans. Over time, leveraging that resource could also help produce some results.

Eg. Imperial Dragoons:

This made me think that one point in Clanpedia could be "references" or whatever they are called. Basically they would be links to newsletter and to other places/topics where the clan is mentioned.

I have actually been thinking of compiling some of those articles that have been published in the articles. Even the feedback given about different wars going on has always been of interest.

amazzony wrote:The moment I saw the title of this topic I found it an extremely good idea. Yeah, the fact that I notice it like over a month later than it was posted shows that I haven't visited these forums for awhile now...
.../rant

Thanks, and better late than never ;)
and don't demean yourself by calling it a rant, it's good that you're willing and able to give helpful suggestions
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby amazzony on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Leehar wrote:
amazzony wrote:The moment I saw the title of this topic I found it an extremely good idea. Yeah, the fact that I notice it like over a month later than it was posted shows that I haven't visited these forums for awhile now...
.../rant

and don't demean yourself by calling it a rant, it's good that you're willing and able to give helpful suggestions

If you need help with making the template then drop me a line, I'm quite familiar with the possibilities that different forum tags do so I might be able to help out. Also, as you noticed, I had some ideas (how helpful they are is up to you) so we can try to put together a form together and then see where it leads :)
Lieutenant amazzony

Re: Clan Information and Lists (Clanpedia?)

Postby BoganGod on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Standard acronym for The Brethren of the Fat Mermaid, is generally BoFM. That is what the Clan Rank add on uses for us as well. Works for me :)
Corporal BoganGod

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Dynasty isn't on the list either. I believe we use DYN.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Leehar on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm

BoganGod wrote:Standard acronym for The Brethren of the Fat Mermaid, is generally BoFM. That is what the Clan Rank add on uses for us as well. Works for me :)

Yeah, with spoilers it capitalizes everything so I've inserted it, just not sure about it's accuracy (with regard to being instantly recognized as your brethren).
Pretty weird really since you leave out 'the' but leave in 'of', while clans like Thota, Tofu and Tsm leaves 'the' in there acronym ;)
But who am I really to go over the semantics of acronyms and abbreviations :P
amazzony wrote:
Leehar wrote:
.../rant

If you need help with making the template then drop me a line, I'm quite familiar with the possibilities that different forum tags do so I might be able to help out. Also, as you noticed, I had some ideas (how helpful they are is up to you) so we can try to put together a form together and then see where it leads :)

Yeah, I've got some thoughts regarding some other issues that I've been thinking about so I just need to find out how they will be going as well.
But if you can start something workable (with all those suggestions you had), I'm sure we can try to implement it, and maybe start sending it of to clan leaders to see what they can do with it.
safariguy5 wrote:Dynasty isn't on the list either. I believe we use DYN.

I'll work on getting you in, I've yet to actually even include all the clans in the power rankings :(
But thanks for the message, you'll be first on the 'to-add' list ;) :P
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm

A friendly word of advice before you start your template. If you were considering including tourney wins for individual clan members you might find yourself with a full-time occupation just keeping it all up-to-date due to the volume of tournaments hosted on this site. There is however probably scope to include tourneys which are clan-related as they don't number so many.

So you should probably display information that only requires once-a-month maintenance to alleviate the burden of keeping it contemporary. If there's too much info yet it's not up-to-date then viewers will soon lose interest.

Off the top of my head something like the following springs to mind:

Clan Name : The Odd Fellows Union
Abbreviation : TOFU
Founded : 28th July 2009
Motto : In Odd We Trust
Members [a drop down list, showing clan heads and members and, if they wish, a small bio]
Record [another drop down, listing achievements year by year]
Links [a drop down with links to clan-related info, e.g. recruitment thread, etc]

This format keeps it to just seven lines and the post listing all clans won't look too cluttered (it could be six if 'TOFU' is simply put behind the full name which would be ok). Alternatively each clan's name is a clicky drop down and that way it's just one line per clan when displayed - that's probably better still.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby andy_is_awesome on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:Off the top of my head something like the following springs to mind:

Clan Name : The Odd Fellows Union
Abbreviation : TOFU
Founded : 28th July 2009
Motto : In Odd We Trust
Members [a drop down list, showing clan heads and members and, if they wish, a small bio]
Record [another drop down, listing achievements year by year]
Links [a drop down with links to clan-related info, e.g. recruitment thread, etc]

I like this :D
To keep member lists up to date, could you use a screen cap of the clan map rank?
It lists all the current players and their statistics. It might save time to screen cap and paste IMG? if that's possible.
Major andy_is_awesome

Postby 4 U 2 NV on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:12 pm

The Imperial Dragoons have a new thread up - New Thread

it offers the most recent information.

thanks Leehar
Colonel 4 U 2 NV

Postby amazzony on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:07 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:A friendly word of advice before you start your template. If you were considering including tourney wins for individual clan members you might find yourself with a full-time occupation just keeping it all up-to-date due to the volume of tournaments hosted on this site. There is however probably scope to include tourneys which are clan-related as they don't number so many.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean as G1 is probably very close the top of tournament win list :D It will be hard to decide which tournament wins should be counted or not so I think in the end they should be kept out. It can be included as an optional thing (number of tournaments wins per clan/number of tournaments organised) about clans who keep track of it themselves so it wouldn't be the job of the Clanpedia Master to keep that data up to date but the clan leader's/representative's work to give that data.
Main data about each clan could be on the first post and all the optional stuff could be put to next posts with references/links/whatever. Just a way to keep the main post clear and simple but if people have interest in more info then they can find it from an appropriate place.

I like the form you made but I would add there Conq. Cup and Clan League results. I don't think there's a point to re-put all the clan wars but if there are few short lines about CCup and League then it would already give some idea of the strenght of the clan. So, it would be like athletes have their best results next to their bio. Perhaps we could have something along those lines and besides the 2 mentioned events it could add have "most impressive clan war win". yeah, i know, it's not a value based on fact but it could be also something that either a clan leader submits or.... Actually, JP's ranking thing could be taken as a base for it. So, the "Most Impressive Clan War Win" would be something like "Highest Ranking Clan Won". Alright, my English sucks so I don't know how it should be called but I hope my point got through :D

About member list. I'd add to the form a link to the... Erm... Well, this I would add to the form.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby amazzony on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 am

Sorry about double post but I kinda felt that this is a whole new subject so I wanted to create new post for it :oops:

Leehar wrote:Yeah, I've got some thoughts regarding some other issues that I've been thinking about so I just need to find out how they will be going as well.
But if you can start something workable (with all those suggestions you had), I'm sure we can try to implement it, and maybe start sending it of to clan leaders to see what they can do with it.

I'll work on it :) I think CoF gave a good example so I'll just use it as a bases for mine and perhaps make some examples with a few clans but it will take some time because my list of To-Do is like this: 1. Catch killer bee who has invaded my apartment and probably is building a nest there :roll: 2. Work on next Special Event :D 3. Do this clan thing.
Of course, as number 1 on my list isn't something that I want to do and 2nd one doesn't take too much time then I might get to number 3 today after work.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Chariot of Fire on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 am

so it wouldn't be the job of the Clanpedia Master

Henceforth to be known as the Clanpediator.

Any fan of the thread would, in essence, be a clanpediaphile. Somehow I don't think it will catch on, lol.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Dako on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:55 am

Tournament info can be maintained be the clan leader (or representative) and can be send to clanpediaphile on a regular basis (if they are interested in keeping that info up to date).
Colonel Dako

Postby amazzony on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 am

Well, this happens when I'm in the office and without too much work.

Using CoF's example and adding some things, I've made an example form. Please notice that some wording needs changing badly so feel free to do it. A grammar nazi is needed in here for sure.
show: clan name - abbr here

And, here's an example with some data about my own clan, G1 :)
show: Generation One The Clan - G1 - GenOne

If there is a special section at the beginning of Clanpedia with links to CCup, Leagues, Newsletter Main page, topic of Clan Challenges and perhaps to something else that I can't think of now then for the start there should be enough data if it's done for every clan. It can be expanded in the future with tournament, ex-members and whatever else is needed/wanted.
Last edited by amazzony on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Leehar on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 am

Not bad, the only thing I find about that is that perhaps it's a bit 'too' structured(?)
Obviously thats not a bad thing, and if we're planning to make this a pretty factual document it's necessary, but I just feel partly that it doesn't leave enough scope for personalization as well. I'm not sure how well I can get my meaning across, but basically, all the details in that template are things that can be found relatively 'simply' with the necessary research and scouring of the forums. (Even the bios/motto's at that level can be found on recruitment pages etc). Obviously, it would require a bit of energy, but I feel that if we're going to go to the lengths of contacting clan leaders for information, maybe we need to look a bit more at it from a uniqueness PoV.
I guess I'm not really sure myself of what direction I want this to go. I obviously want the clanpedia to be factual and objective, but I still would like it to be detailed and informative enough for it to give a bit more broader knowledge.
So I'm just hoping there's more scope given to the clans for them to emphasise what makes them different from others. Just because one clan has finished at a higher position than another clan in a league or cup, doesn't mean that it's necessarily more worthwhile than the other, or that because one clan perhaps contains a bunch of dowdy, odd robots instead of buccaneering sea-rats or titled cows that they have more redeeming qualities. (sorry if I offended any of the clans mentioned...)
I'm sure we all know that there is more to a clan than just those details that relate to their achievements (though they obviously are integral to providing the clans identity as well). I guess I just wanted to also see if there was some way I could get those details to be shine through in the mire of information as well.

But anyway, those were just some random thoughts that were flying through my head, aren't really necessary at the moment.
So yeah, thanks for that template Amaz, it's definitely something we can work with!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Chariot of Fire on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 pm

because one clan perhaps contains a bunch of dowdy, odd robots instead of buccaneering sea-rats or titled cows

strewth!
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Leehar on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

I would have tried fitting in old somewhere in there as well, but didn't want to give too many hints ;) :P
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Chariot of Fire on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:45 pm

too late mate - u already lost me with the 'dowdy' remark
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby amazzony on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 am

I kinda understand what you mean and I don't want to get you off track or push my views on you but I think that the template that I put together from CoF's ideas could be something that each clan has under their profile in Clanpedia. You want a more personal approach of each clan and that can be done for sure, added later as additional information. I'm sure every clan can put together a few paragrahp history/essey/whatever about their clan, their doings and most important qualities. It will just take time to get that info. Perhaps it's better to start with a simple form, get some attention to the project, get ideas and discussion flowing and then move from there.

You mentioned the the information in the form is something that can simply found in the forums. Maybe it can but I think that it can be found even faster when it's all gathered to one topic - to Clanpedia. When I first read the topic then I understood/imagined that this could be a place where everything about clans can be found easily and from one place. That's why I created the form, to plant a seed so it can start growing. Of course, if I understand it differently then you do then I'm sorry and, as I mentioned before, I don't want to butt in and mix your vision!
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Leehar on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:42 am

No, of course not, thats what my predominant vision was as well. And therefore I'm pretty much agreeing with most of what you're saying as well. My only concern is, that when sending out these template to the clan leaders, and if the information they'd put into the templates is stuff thats readily available, I'll be berated at for not doing it myself? And I guess that may very well be true, since perhaps I haven't put as much energy into this as I should have.
So yeah, I may have been a bit lazy in collating all the necessary information, but it's never nice to be caught out being actively lazy (ie foisting the task on to others). So I guess I just basically felt that if I requested something from the clan leaders that required a bit more of there input, it would be easier?

But anyway, I think you are right, specially with regards to starting simply and getting the ball rolling, so I think I'll just swallow my pride (what little of it I have left ;) ) and just go ahead with your template and sending it to clan leaders.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby amazzony on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 am

You shouldn't look at it like that. You have quite a big job ahead. First you have to look up all the clans, make a list of leaders, message them all. Then collect all the data, put it into correct form (I'm sure you'll get answers back in all kind of forms and ways) and finally post to public. And, like I might of mentioned before, you should collect data about the "dead" clans also (clans that once existed but have fallen apart now). Later you have to make sure that data is updated, answer questions, keep up with the discussion and keep developing the project. There's plenty of work for you, don't worry :D

Whenever you need help, don't hesitate to message me.

Oh, and perhaps let me finish G1 form first so you would have a fully filled example to show to clan leaders? I need a day or two to collect links if you allow me to do it and want to use it as an example.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Leehar on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:07 am

That may be nice ;)
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby amazzony on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:24 am

Well, I've updated G1 form and it should be more or less ready, it's in this post.
Lieutenant amazzony

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives