Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A Baseball Map, But Not Like That Last One

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:06 am

I don't think thats too much to explain, the diagram is still very clear. For the pitchers' names, why not use names of actual hall of fame pitchers? Young, Ruth, Ryan, Seaver, Niekro, Koufax, Eckersley, Maddux. There can't be any copyright issues with names, right?
Captain carlpgoodrich

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 am

Well, the case could be made that personality rights are violated, and I don't know if that extends to names. There are a few in-jokes in the pitchers' names I'd have to see go, but I suppose I could use actual historic people.

I'll note that the players on the field, possibly the batter, would also get their own names.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 am

You could also use first names. Many of the great players can be recognized by their first names and certainly no personality rights would be violated. Cy, Phil, Pedro, Nolan, Sandy, etc. Same for the fielders. Probably would want to have Babe be the batter (as a Sox fan, that hurt :( , I like to remember him as a pitcher ;) ).
Captain carlpgoodrich

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am

Yea, first names should work and Babe as the batter is good. Should the defenders be given names too?
CURRENCY CONVERSION: 1 SaxBucks = .02 AoGRubles

To redeem AoGRubles, write on AoG's wall with order.
Menu:
-1 nietzsche dickpic: 1 AoGRuble
-1 AoG dickpic: 100 AoGRubles
-1 "AoG is awesome!" t-shirt: 500 AoGRubles
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Yea, first names should work and Babe as the batter is good. Should the defenders be given names too?

If they fit.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Something like: Yogi at catcher, Lou at first, Jackie at second, Cal at short, Wade at third, Ted in left, Willie in center, Hank in right... it could work ;)

Edit: Ohhh, you mean if the names fit in the space, haha... :lol:
Captain carlpgoodrich

General Achievement (1)

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third, why in left, because in center, tomorrow is pitching, today is catching, I don't give a damn is the shortstop!! The others you'll have to make up :D
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Woah woah woah woah. Cal at short? We definitely need Ozzie there.

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Woah woah woah woah. Cal at short? We definitely need Ozzie there.

Yup. I agree. Don't know what I was thinking... :oops:
Captain carlpgoodrich

General Achievement (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I'll freely admit, I'm not that big into baseball. Normally I'd pepper the player names with jokes and subtle references, but it looks like putting the names of historic players on the field would have more impact on people who actually are fans of the game, and it does kind of fit with the whole history lesson theme CC has going on. However, I've got little feel for which name should go where so I'll let the fans argue it out.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

The ones mentioned so far by carl (except Ozzie instead of Cal at shortstop =P) are probably the best choices for each position (most historic names possible). I think more people would get those (because of the uniqueness of the names) than the "fake ones" (I'm sorry, but I don't get a single one of them).

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Normally I'd pepper the player names with jokes and subtle references

Army of GOD wrote:(I'm sorry, but I don't get a single one of them).

Okay, so in-jokes and obscure references. At least I don't have to come up with any more.

Though if we're using first names I'd need a list of pitchers, too (not that I think last names is any trouble).
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Cy [Young], Phil [Niekro], Warren [Spahn], Nolan [Ryan], Sandy [Koufax], Roger [Clemens], Dennis[Eckersley] and Randy [Johnson] for pitchers.

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Roger [Clemens]

Thanks for the laugh AoG.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey, I didn't want to put him in there either.

Greg [Maddux] instead?

Menu:
Cook Army of GOD

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas