Conquer Club

*Avatar* picture on wall posts [Implemented]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Would you like to see avatars show up on wall posts?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 56

*Avatar* picture on wall posts [Implemented]

Postby grifftron on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm

*Avatar* picture on wall posts *This could be optional with a hide/show button for those that worry about lag but we were told by the phpBB team that this would cause no lag*

I think it would be cool if when you posted on someones wall, you would have your profile picture show up next to your post, just like when you post in the forum, but this would be on their wall of course.

I think it would make the wall posting more appealing and therefore make CC better ;) I contacted phpBB myself and below is what they had to say about adding this addition... they also said this should not cause ANY extra lag and it would be an over all 5 min job to do.

Quotes from the phpBB support team leader Marshalrusty
Marshalrusty wrote:I don't mean to get in the middle of this (just answering the questions asked by grifftron )

TheForgivenOne wrote:One downside, is this could cause more lag when going to a persons wall.

Images are cached by browsers, so if it's the same images that are appearing next to posts on the board, your browser will not grab them again.

Having said that, there may be good reasons not to do this (such as larger avatars pushing the cell apart and making the overall page longer). Increased load is not really one of them, however.

Darwins_Bane wrote:Don't forget, I'm pretty sure the wall is generated by phpbb3, and so would be limited to whatever developments they have for it. I could be mistaken though.

Please keep in mind that phpBB is opensource, meaning that all of the code can be changed to do... anything.

-griff
Last edited by grifftron on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:20 am, edited 10 times in total.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Pictures on wall posts

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm

More fun*

I like it. The Wall is too bland.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby sherkaner on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Why would you ever want to do that? I can't really think of uses for it, except for misuses..
Colonel sherkaner

Postby grifftron on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 pm

sherkaner wrote:Why would you ever want to do that? I can't really think of uses for it, except for misuses..

What would be the misuses for having your avatar show up on walls? That is what i meant, not actually posting pictures on the wall... it would be like facebook, myspace, twitter style with the avatar next to the name of the poster.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: *Avater* picture on wall posts

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 pm

One downside, is this could cause more lag when going to a persons wall.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby grifftron on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:01 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:One downside, is this could cause more lag when going to a persons wall.

how much lag? and a CC update would prob speed things right up if that lag ever happened?

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Not sure, but i think it is known that if a a page has more pictures on it, would cause more lag, as it would take more time to load up the avi pics.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Since a wall only displays like 5 posts at a time-ish, and given the small size of the pictures, I don't think it would take too much of a difference given in contrast what all else the site is running.
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Lekegolo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm

I support this product/service. As a all round horrible person myself I must say that I can't see how this could be abused, also I experience no lag when viewing walls, I doubt some tiny image files would make it worse.
Private Lekegolo

Postby grifftron on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Makes sense TFO, but look at this thread and all the sigs and avatars, not slow for me, so imagine a wall with 5 posts and 5 tiny pics, shouldn't be too slow..

and if people do like this and it does happen in the future, we could always have the *hide/show avatar* button on the wall for those that don't like that extra lag.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: *Avatar* picture on wall posts

Postby NightWolf on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 am

I am not in favor for this. My laptop barely works with my router in my room, and running anything is gnarly in that condition. So add some dumb pix to the mix and I'm not going to be happy. That needs to be put as an optional feature if it's put in place.
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Postby grifftron on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:18 am

NightWolf wrote:I am not in favor for this. My laptop barely works with my router in my room, and running anything is gnarly in that condition. So add some dumb pix to the mix and I'm not going to be happy. That needs to be put as an optional feature if it's put in place.

yeah like i said about, you should be about to hide it or show it. Optional.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:26 am

Don't forget, I'm pretty sure the wall is generated by phpbb3, and so would be limited to whatever developments they have for it. I could be mistaken though.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ā€¹Khan22ā€ŗ wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ā€¹TheForgivenOneā€ŗ No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby grifftron on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:33 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:Don't forget, I'm pretty sure the wall is generated by phpbb3, and so would be limited to whatever developments they have for it. I could be mistaken though.

same thing that the forums are ran by? if so, one would think they would have an easy add on for something like a picture?

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 am

its not so simple as that. basically it would boil down to whether they have the add-on or not.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ā€¹Khan22ā€ŗ wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ā€¹TheForgivenOneā€ŗ No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby grifftron on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:its not so simple as that. basically it would boil down to whether they have the add-on or not.

Thanks DB.. who can tell us if they have it or not?

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Someone who works for phpbb. I THINK, blakebowling is associated with them, but i could be wrong. If nobody here is associated with phpbb, then someone here would have to make contact with them.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby grifftron on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:Someone who works for phpbb. I THINK, blakebowling is associated with them, but i could be wrong. If nobody here is associated with phpbb, then someone here would have to make contact with them.

Thanks TFO, I contacted them myself, I will post again when i find out if this is possible or not.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Well here is what they had to say, i am quoting out conversation that i posted in their forums...

grifftron wrote:Hey, i am involved in the community at ConquerClub.com which is powered by phpBB

We have a suggestion page and one of the suggestions was to add avatars to wall posts on peoples profiles. I hope this is the right place to post this, we were just wondering if this was something that would be possible to do with phpBB, if not we will stop requesting it on CC.

Thanks

-griff

Marshalrusty wrote:Hello,

phpBB is opensource software, which means that the code is open for the public to use. It is therefore possible to add anything and change anything within the board. I am not entirely certain what you are asking for, but displaying avatars on a new page is not difficult to do at all.

Thanks

KEEP IN MIND THE phpBB WEBSITE DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME KIND OF WALL SET UP AS WE DO WITH WALL POSTS, WHICH IS WHY HE SAID HE WASN'T SURE WHAT I WAS ASKING FOR, BUT HE SAID IT WAS POSSIBLE...

edit: Still talking with these guys from phpBB, their "tech team" and they said adding avatars to wall posts in a 5 min job.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Marshalrusty on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am

I don't mean to get in the middle of this (just answering the questions asked by grifftron )

Images are cached by browsers, so if it's the same images that are appearing next to posts on the board, your browser will not grab them again.

Having said that, there may be good reasons not to do this (such as larger avatars pushing the cell apart and making the overall page longer). Increased load is not really one of them, however.

Please keep in mind that phpBB is opensource, meaning that all of the code can be changed to do... anything.
Last edited by Marshalrusty on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Recruit Marshalrusty

Postby grifftron on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 am

Marshalrusty wrote:I don't mean to get in the middle of this (just answering the questions asked by grifftron )

Marshal you are the man! Thanks a lot for putting in all the extra work of creating an account and finding this thread... here is another quote from Marshal who is Support Team Leader over at phpBB

Marshalrusty wrote:
grifftron wrote:SO this means its possible?! and it takes 5 min to do for every ones walls? If so AWESOME... hey if you guys created a account on CC can you visit my suggestion thread and tell these guys too? If not i will quote you guys anyways...

-griff

I'd rather not get in the way of a heated battle (:P), but you're welcome to quote me.

Yes, because user details are already grabbed in order to build the wall, adding avatars is a matter of adding the avatar column to the select query and then modifying the output to include the avatar. All together a 5 minute job.

a 5 minute job for avatars on wall posts people! and if i understood Marshal correctly, this would have nothing to do with creating extra lag.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby petarvulf on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 am

I support this man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lieutenant petarvulf

Postby sekretar on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:17 am

like petar say-i support this man! :D
Major sekretar

Postby grifftron on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 am

sekretar wrote:like petar say-i support this man! :D

petarvulf wrote:I support this man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's make this happen! Vote for Griff

Thanks guys, Serbian support is needed for this for sure! And sek made his first post ever! =D>

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:55 am

I hide avatars in the forums, so I would turn this off, but I totally understand the desire to have it, so I support this :)
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions