Conquer Club

[Invites] Not allow inactive players to be invited to games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Not allow inactive players to be invited to games

Postby darth emperor on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Denise wrote:I have a fremium friend who is hardly active, but once in a while he wants to play a game. He will ask me to invite him to one, and we like to play dubs as well as 1 vs 1 sometimes. I can see that this would be a terrible inconvenience to him, and others who are not really active but just like to play once in a while. I could make 1 vs 1's private, but for dubs I will join a public game, then invite him to it. So I guess I agree with Andy that this would be a poor way to entice barely actives to become more active. It's too bad coz I like the idea of finding a way to limit abuse of the invite system.

As far as limiting invites to teams, couldn't a player abuse that by inviting 2 random players to join the same team?

Well you could play first the 1v1 private and after that sent the invite....
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm

What if the definition of "active" were based on last log-in, and not active games? That way old people who come back to the site can still feel involved.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Woodruff on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:What if the definition of "active" were based on last log-in, and not active games? That way old people who come back to the site can still feel involved.

Great point.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Denise on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:What if the definition of "active" were based on last log-in, and not active games? That way old people who come back to the site can still feel involved.

That's a good idea!
Colonel Denise

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 am

Woodruff wrote:

Great point.

Could you develop this a little more? Is there still an issue with our desire to make it so users can still send invites to their friends who have wandered away from Conquer Club?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Queen_Herpes on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 am

AndyDufresne wrote:One of the nice things about the invite feature---is that it can get inactive users active on Conquer Club once again. It is a nice tool for getting people that have wandered, to come back, if they know they have a game waiting for them.

That said, perhaps instead of going with a disallow of inviting inactive players, since it hurts Conquer Club's ability to get old people active again, what if for Team Games, when reserving/inviting opponents, you can only reserve/invite whole teams, instead of individual spots on a team.

Something like that would still allow for old people to become active again through using invites, but maybe limit some of the poor sportsmanship that goes on when trying to keep established teams out of games.

Just some thoughts.

--Andy

Great point Andy, this essentially kills the suggestion. The site needs as many players to stick around and/or come back if they have abandoned the site. As annoying as those invite emails are, its enough to remind me. And if I hadn't played in a long time, was inactive, it might just be enough to make me come back to the site!
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:One of the nice things about the invite feature---is that it can get inactive users active on Conquer Club once again. It is a nice tool for getting people that have wandered, to come back, if they know they have a game waiting for them.
That said, perhaps instead of going with a disallow of inviting inactive players, since it hurts Conquer Club's ability to get old people active again, what if for Team Games, when reserving/inviting opponents, you can only reserve/invite whole teams, instead of individual spots on a team.
Something like that would still allow for old people to become active again through using invites, but maybe limit some of the poor sportsmanship that goes on when trying to keep established teams out of games.
Just some thoughts.

Great point Andy, this essentially kills the suggestion.

No it doesn't...did you manage to overlook Metsfanmax's point regarding what constitutes an "inactive player"?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby greenoaks on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 am

I was gone for over 2 years and had completely forgotten about the site but came back after i got a reminder
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Denise wrote:As far as limiting invites to teams, couldn't a player abuse that by inviting 2 random players to join the same team?

Denise makes a good point here, that abuse could still exist in an expanded form. So I'm stuck.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:54 pm

I think that once inactive. ie drop off scoreboard. That you shouldnt be able to get invites until you have taken a turn. So in theory you want to come back and your friend wants to invite you. make a pvt 1v1 take a turn you get the privs back
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:
Just some thoughts.

Great point Andy, this essentially kills the suggestion.

No it doesn't...did you manage to overlook Metsfanmax's point regarding what constitutes an "inactive player"?

That suggestion would have to be developed first, before this suggestion could be functional. However, there are still holes regarding changing the determining factor(s) for inactive status.

Then, Denise brings up a a great point request to make this functional for teams could still be abused.

Overall, it won't work.

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby darth emperor on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Denise wrote:As far as limiting invites to teams, couldn't a player abuse that by inviting 2 random players to join the same team?

Denise makes a good point here, that abuse could still exist in an expanded form. So I'm stuck.

--Andy

But now you can see who would be your partner...and then choose if you accept or not....
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Denise on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Great point.

Could you develop this a little more? Is there still an issue with our desire to make it so users can still send invites to their friends who have wandered away from Conquer Club?

--Andy

hmm, when I think about this it would be a little difficult in some cases. In my example, it wouldn't be an issue. My friend would log on, thus making him "active" and able to receive invites. But if someone wants to get their friend back on by sending an invite, it might be an issue. I suppose they could just tell their friend to log on so they could send the invite? I haven't read the other thread in detail, but is this even the issue? Can't the abuse still happen, just by sending invites to random low rankers who are active?

lord voldemort wrote:I think that once inactive. ie drop off scoreboard. That you shouldnt be able to get invites until you have taken a turn. So in theory you want to come back and your friend wants to invite you. make a pvt 1v1 take a turn you get the privs back

This might work, but what if you want to play a team game and not a 1 vs 1? This limits the choices you get to become active again.

darth emperor wrote:But now you can see who would be your partner...and then choose if you accept or not....

But the players who are being sent these invites will be happy to accept regardless of who their partner is, being newbies or maybe they are just inexperienced at team games.
Colonel Denise

Postby greenoaks on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 am

Denise wrote:But the players who are being sent these invites will be happy to accept regardless of who their partner is, being newbies or maybe they are just inexperienced at team games.

and they are the type of players these games are being set up to attract anyway
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby NightWolf on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:59 pm

If the definition of "inactive" is amended to refer to a players last login, as opposed to last completed game (over a period of a month both ways), Andy's idea has little basis, since game invites expire after 24 hours. If it refers to the last time a game was completed, then it would be a problem. But in any case, if it is so difficult to find a solution, can't some other triggers make a player "active" again, such as logging in AND joining a new game, constituting a return to playing?

EDIT:

last login as in inviting someone who hasn't been on for month(s), and still has not returned.
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 am

Just some thoughts.
--Andy

Devil's Advocate: if it's "poor sportsmanship" enough that you're suggesting codes to disallow the problem, then why isn't it "poor sportsmanship" enough to make it a violation of rules?

Also, a few tourney organizers start games, invite the opposing teams' captains, and require those captains to invite the rest of their team... your solution to make something 'icky' be impossible without being illegal, would hinder the tourney organizers' ability to take this easy way out.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 pm

stahrgazer wrote:Devil's Advocate: if it's "poor sportsmanship" enough that you're suggesting codes to disallow the problem, then why isn't it "poor sportsmanship" enough to make it a violation of rules?

It's easier to disallow it automatically and have it not happen anymore, than to have mods who go around and look for people abusing the system; and inevitably, some of those people would be missed that way anyway.

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:Devil's Advocate: if it's "poor sportsmanship" enough that you're suggesting codes to disallow the problem, then why isn't it "poor sportsmanship" enough to make it a violation of rules?

It's easier to disallow it automatically and have it not happen anymore, than to have mods who go around and look for people abusing the system; and inevitably, some of those people would be missed that way anyway.

And that logic is why I suggested we could elim social forums totally; easier not to allow things that people could abuse, than to have enforcement for the less than 1% that would abuse.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:36 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

And that logic is why I suggested we could elim social forums totally; easier not to allow things that people could abuse, than to have enforcement for the less than 1% that would abuse.

Nobody gets hurt when somebody posts a spam topic in a social forum.

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Nobody gets hurt when somebody posts a spam topic in a social forum.

And no one gets hurt when an inactive doesn't join a game he or she was invited to join; it expires in 24 hours. Nor does anyone get hurt by receiving a random invite; they join or do not join. If they join, they play, if they don't join, someone else plays.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Nobody gets hurt when somebody posts a spam topic in a social forum.

And no one gets hurt when an inactive doesn't join a game he or she was invited to join; it expires in 24 hours. Nor does anyone get hurt by receiving a random invite; they join or do not join. If they join, they play, if they don't join, someone else plays.

False; the OP and the first few responses indicated that the system was abused as a result of this.

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:

False; the OP and the first few responses indicated that the system was abused as a result of this.

Not false. Here's what they're saying:
The trick that I've seen used (and there could easily be others), is a team will start a public game, and then invite a single, inactive player to fill one of the spots on the opposing team. This keeps any other real teams from joining together, as one of the spots is reserved, so the games fill up with random people, making for a much easier win than a well-practiced team would.

So?
The invitee does not have to accept. Established teams can join other games and play together.

"Near-farming" constitutes a much worse "abuse" of a system than, "omigosh, this particular game is full, my regular team and I will have to find another game to battle on,"

I define "near-farming" as picking on people who just got their 5 games so are no longer ? but are obviously not familiar with the types of maps that are "legal" for high ranking folk to "invite" them to play. And the response has continued to be, "the new cadet does not have to join."

So, that's the CC response: the player being invited does NOT have to join.

And stretching that a bit farther, the teams that wish to play together can open their own games or find another to join, or join a tournament together. However, assuming a cadet does join, he's got a better chance of someone else joining who does know the map, so can show him the ropes, than those who are being "orchard plucked" in 1v1 freestyle on intricate maps - which CC has ruled over and over again, is perfectly legal to do.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:05 am

stahrgazer wrote:So?
The invitee does not have to accept. Established teams can join other games and play together.

"Near-farming" constitutes a much worse "abuse" of a system than, "omigosh, this particular game is full, my regular team and I will have to find another game to battle on,"

I define "near-farming" as picking on people who just got their 5 games so are no longer ? but are obviously not familiar with the types of maps that are "legal" for high ranking folk to "invite" them to play. And the response has continued to be, "the new cadet does not have to join."

And stretching that a bit farther, the teams that wish to play together can open their own games or find another to join, or join a tournament together. However, assuming a cadet does join, he's got a better chance of someone else joining who does know the map, so can show him the ropes, than those who are being "orchard plucked" in 1v1 freestyle on intricate maps - which CC has ruled over and over again, is perfectly legal to do.

Qualitatively, this example is the same as "regular" farming - you're still taking advantage of new players who don't understand what they're getting into. Personally, I don't think there should be any rules against farming; but at the point where there are, they should at least be consistent.

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:19 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:So?

Qualitatively, this example is the same as "regular" farming - you're still taking advantage of new players who don't understand what they're getting into. Personally, I don't think there should be any rules against farming; but at the point where there are, they should at least be consistent.

Well, CC ruled that if it's not ? then it's not farming. Meanwhile, I disagree that there should not be any rules against farming, but I would like it consistent, which is why I do not support this change to the invite system.

The original post isn't about disallowing higher rank players from inviting new recruits. To be consistent with prior CC rulings, whoever invites miscellaneous players that aren't consistently new recruits, are doing NOTHING wrong, so no system change is required.

"Those being invited can refuse to join, and find other games to play," and "teams that wish to play together as a unit can open their own public games and invite whoever THEY would like to play with."

It has NEVER been illegal to refuse a game, and CC should not start a precedent of making it 'illegal' or "impossible" to refuse a game. Teams that are doing this "invite one opponent" thing are either 1) being cleverly proactive about refusing to play existing teams by limiting the ability in advance; 2) hoping some experienced players show a less experienced player the ropes; 3) trying to encourage more activity; or 4) letting the person they do invite go through the legwork of inviting whoever he/she wants to team with.

I can't see anything wrong with it, even if it pisses a few people off that they are unable to bring a team in to play THAT particular group on THAT particular public game.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
It has NEVER been illegal to refuse a game, and CC should not start a precedent of making it 'illegal' or "impossible" to refuse a game.

Implementing this feature has nothing to do with whether players can refuse games or not.

Teams that are doing this "invite one opponent" thing are either 1) being cleverly proactive about refusing to play existing teams by limiting the ability in advance; 2) hoping some experienced players show a less experienced player the ropes; 3) trying to encourage more activity; or 4) letting the person they do invite go through the legwork of inviting whoever he/she wants to team with.

None of the above are what is being discussed here. Clearly there is a fifth possibility, that is the cause for this suggestion: they are taking advantage of naive or stupid players (i.e. the ones who would join a random game with an unknown teammate). Whether you call it farming or not, it's qualitatively the same.

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions