Conquer Club

Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A Baseball Map, But Not Like That Last One

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

The ones mentioned so far by carl (except Ozzie instead of Cal at shortstop =P) are probably the best choices for each position (most historic names possible). I think more people would get those (because of the uniqueness of the names) than the "fake ones" (I'm sorry, but I don't get a single one of them).
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Normally I'd pepper the player names with jokes and subtle references

Army of GOD wrote:(I'm sorry, but I don't get a single one of them).

Okay, so in-jokes and obscure references. At least I don't have to come up with any more.

Though if we're using first names I'd need a list of pitchers, too (not that I think last names is any trouble).
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Cy [Young], Phil [Niekro], Warren [Spahn], Nolan [Ryan], Sandy [Koufax], Roger [Clemens], Dennis[Eckersley] and Randy [Johnson] for pitchers.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Roger [Clemens]

Thanks for the laugh AoG.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey, I didn't want to put him in there either.

Greg [Maddux] instead?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Dennis Eckersley, Johnson or Maddux
Captain the.killing.44

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Should I just spin off a separate thread for this discussion?
Also it'd be nice if two or three are lefties so I can separate them like in the last version.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:so I'll let the fans argue it out

ok
carlpgoodrich wrote:Young, Ruth, Ryan, Seaver, Niekro, Koufax, Eckersley, Maddux.

Army of GOD wrote:Cy [Young], Phil [Niekro], Warren [Spahn], Nolan [Ryan], Sandy [Koufax], Roger [Clemens], Dennis[Eckersley] and Randy [Johnson] for pitchers.

Army of GOD wrote:Greg [Maddux] instead?

the.killing.44 wrote:Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Dennis Eckersley, Johnson or Maddux

Looks like we are agreed on Cy [Young], Nolan [Ryan], Sandy [Koufax], Dennis[Eckersley], and Greg [Maddux], leaving us to pick 3 from: Tom [Seaver], Phil [Niekro], Warren [Spahn], Randy [Johnson], Christy [Mathewson], and Walter [Johnson]. I would also like to throw in Lefty [Grove], and Satchel [Paige]. Now, I think its important not just to have the best pitchers but also to have names that people recognize/interesting names (sorry Tom and Walter). I think Phil, Lefty, and Satchel would round out the map well, though Randy might be more recognizable.

Does anyone have a problem with Yogi [Berra] at catcher, Lou [Gehrig] at first, Jackie [Robinson]at second, Wade [Boggs] at third, Ozzie [Smith] at short, Ted [Williams] in left, Willie [Mays] in center, Hank [Aaron] in right, and Babe [Ruth] batting?
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:46 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Dennis Eckersley, Johnson or Maddux

So you added three more...?

You're making this more difficult than it should be.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Should I just spin off a separate thread for this discussion?

Also it'd be nice if two or three are lefties so I can separate them like in the last version.

Idk why Cake Eater is adding more, my list (with Maddux instead of Clemens) was fine. Had 8 well-known pitchers.

In my list, Spahn, Koufax and Johnson are lefties.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Looks like we are agreed on Cy [Young], Nolan [Ryan], Sandy [Koufax], Dennis[Eckersley], and Greg [Maddux], leaving us to pick 3 from: Tom [Seaver], Phil [Niekro], Warren [Spahn], Randy [Johnson], Christy [Mathewson], and Walter [Johnson]. I would also like to throw in Lefty [Grove], and Satchel [Paige]. Now, I think its important not just to have the best pitchers but also to have names that people recognize/interesting names (sorry Tom and Walter). I think Phil, Lefty, and Satchel would round out the map well, though Randy might be more recognizable.

you forgot Bob [Gibson] from killing's (and my) list. With your idea of recognizable names in mind, I would go with

Cy Young
Nolan Ryan
Sandy Koufax
Bob Gibson
Lefty Grove
Satchel Paige
Warren Spahn
Christy Mathewson

carlpgoodrich wrote:Does anyone have a problem with Yogi [Berra] at catcher, Lou [Gehrig] at first, Jackie [Robinson]at second, Wade [Boggs] at third, Ozzie [Smith] at short, Ted [Williams] in left, Willie [Mays] in center, Hank [Aaron] in right, and Babe [Ruth] batting?

I like that mostly :P. Biggest thing I would say is put Ty Cobb in there for one of the Outfielders, and definitely no Wade Boggs. He was good, not that good. I vote for Brooks Robinson at third (or Mike Schmidt, but "Mike" isn't very recognizable).

Also, as a Cardinals fan (and you as a Yankees fan based on the number of Yankees in your list), I'd like to see some debate between Stan Musial and Lou Gehrig at first. Both are top 10 all time players, so no problem either way, but I know I would vote for the Man.

C-Johnny Bench is a better player, but maybe keep Yogi because of his name
SS- Honus Wagner, you gotta love Ozzie (especially as a Cards fan), but historically if you're asking who the better player was it's not much of a question imo
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:28 am

Army of GOD wrote:

Idk why Cake Eater is adding more, my list (with Maddux instead of Clemens) was fine. Had 8 well-known pitchers.

In my list, Spahn, Koufax and Johnson are lefties.

everyone's list has a few lefties, a lot of good pitchers were lefty. Actually, you may want to ask to reduce the number to two. That also may help with the debate as well, say pick 2 lefties and 6 righties.

Postby sensfan on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:44 am

Now back on topic...

This map is fantastic, but the defenders system is a little confusing.
It would take some reading, but hey--I've no problem with that.
Graphics aren't exactly up to date, but for the first few drafts, I'm impressed
I would most certainly play this map.

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am

jrh_cardinal wrote:you forgot Bob [Gibson] from killing's (and my) list.

Sorry.

Biggest thing I would say is put Ty Cobb in there for one of the Outfielders

I agree it was hard not to include him, but who do you take out?

definitely no Wade Boggs. He was good, not that good. I vote for Brooks Robinson at third (or Mike Schmidt, but "Mike" isn't very recognizable).

I disagree, Boggs was pretty darn good, and is very recognizable. I agree Schmidt was probably the best third baseman of all time, so I guess I'd be alright with Mike.

...(and you as a Yankees fan based on the number of Yankees in your list)...

WHAT!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :x :( [-X :sick: [-( ](*,) !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a huge Sox fan! I'm going to go cry a little....... Ok, I'm back.

I'd like to see some debate between Stan Musial and Lou Gehrig at first. Both are top 10 all time players, so no problem either way, but I know I would vote for the Man.

I agree Stan Musial was good, but Lou Gehrig changed the game and will forever be one of the most remembered and recognizable figures in all of baseball. Musial is deserving, but not including Gehrig would be an insult in my opinion (and like I said, this is coming from a huge Sox fan ;) )

C-Johnny Bench is a better player, but maybe keep Yogi because of his name
SS- Honus Wagner, you gotta love Ozzie (especially as a Cards fan), but historically if you're asking who the better player was it's not much of a question imo

Ozzie was definitely not the best SS of all time, but for this exercise he fits perfectly. Same with Yogi.

Sure, sorry if we have kinda hijacked your thread :oops: . It's just because we are excited about this map O:)
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:31 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:Sure, sorry if we have kinda hijacked your thread :oops: . It's just because we are excited about this map O:)

lmao, ya, sorry, I'm almost done now O:)

carlpgoodrich wrote:WHAT!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :x :( [-X :sick: [-( ](*,) !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a huge Sox fan! I'm going to go cry a little....... Ok, I'm back.

sorry, lol

carlpgoodrich wrote:I agree it was hard not to include him, but who do you take out?

I think he fits more than Mays or Williams just cause Ty is more recognizable than Willie or Ted, but I agree they're all deserving
Ty played mostly center, idk, His name fits more but Willie Mays was better

carlpgoodrich wrote:Ozzie was definitely not the best SS of all time, but for this exercise he fits perfectly. Same with Yogi.

makes sense, to me that puts brooks at third too...

and like I said, I'm fine with Lou at first

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Psh, hijack schmijack. Just, best to get these arguments out of the way early so they don't stall the actual mapmaking process forever.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 am

C - Yogi [Berra]
1B - Lou [Gehrig]
2B - Jackie [Robinson]
SS - Honus [Wagner] or Ozzie [Smith], I could go either way
3B - Mike [Schmidt]
RF - Hank [Aaron]
CF - Willie [Mays]
LF - Stan [Musial] or Ted [Williams], again, either way
Batting - Babe [Ruth]
P - Cy [Young], Walter [Johnson], Warren [Spahn], Satchel [Paige], Nolan [Ryan], Dennis [Eckersley], Bob [Gibson], Greg [Maddux]

There's my list.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 am

the.killing.44 wrote:C - Yogi [Berra]
1B - Lou [Gehrig]
2B - Jackie [Robinson]
SS - Honus [Wagner] or Ozzie [Smith], I could go either way
3B - Mike [Schmidt]
RF - Hank [Aaron]
CF - Willie [Mays]
LF - Stan [Musial] or Ted [Williams], again, either way
Batting - Babe [Ruth]

Agreed. At SS, I make a strong vote for Ozzie, and it seems like everyone is at least ok with that. At LF, Ted Williams was one of the best pure hitters ever, and IMO has more importance to the history of the game than players like Stan Musial or Ty Cobb. I also like Mike Schmidt over Brooks Robinson, again because I think he means more to the legacy of the game. Also, believe it or not, I saw him yesterday... he was part of the pregame ceremonies at the Phillies Mets game :D .

P - Cy [Young], Walter [Johnson], Warren [Spahn], Satchel [Paige], Nolan [Ryan], Dennis [Eckersley], Bob [Gibson], Greg [Maddux]

We are almost agreed. You forgot Sandy Koufax, who was in your original list (and everyone else's). I vote for replacing Walter Johnson and Warren Spahn wtih Sandy Koufax and Lefty Grove.

We would then have Cy [Young], Satchel [Paige], Nolan [Ryan], Dennis [Eckersley], Bob [Gibson], Greg [Maddux] as righties and Sandy [Koufax] and Lefty [Grove] as lefties.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm fine with both of those subs, though I'm a pretty big Walter Johnson fan. Sandy and Lefty have a better ring than Walter and Warren.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm not sure about Maddux, maybe Walter Johnson or Spahn instead but I like everything else :D

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:00 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:I'm not sure about Maddux, maybe Walter Johnson or Spahn instead but I like everything else :D

Well I'd agree if there wasn't a pseudo-consensus that we wanted a more contemporary pitcher on the list.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:21 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:I'm not sure about Maddux, maybe Walter Johnson or Spahn instead but I like everything else :D

Well I'd agree if there wasn't a pseudo-consensus that we wanted a more contemporary pitcher on the list.

lol true, ok I've got nothing more to complain about :D

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Cool, looks like we are all agree. I will repost the list one last time. If any of you know a reason why these 18 men shall not be joined in the holy bonds of CC maprimony, speak now or forever hold your peace!

C - Yogi [Berra]
1B - Lou [Gehrig]
2B - Jackie [Robinson]
SS - Ozzie [Smith]
3B - Mike [Schmidt]
RF - Hank [Aaron]
CF - Willie [Mays]
LF - Ted [Williams]
Batting - Babe [Ruth]
RHP - Cy [Young], Satchel [Paige], Nolan [Ryan], Dennis [Eckersley], Bob [Gibson], Greg [Maddux]
LHP - Sandy [Koufax] and Lefty [Grove]
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:20 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:If any of you know a reason why these 18 men shall not be joined in the holy bonds of CC maprimony, speak now or forever hold your peace!

:lol: :lol: , looks good

but it's only 17 men :P

dimwit, you may now have your thread back :mrgreen:

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:36 pm

How mercifully brief.

Click image to enlarge.

I'll be going on a road trip from the 14th to the 21st. If anyone isn't happy with this roster, you've got until the latter to make it known and make your argument; after that these names will be set in stone.

Also, what do you think of this new title? Dynamic, no?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:02 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:but it's only 17 men :P

:oops:
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas