Conquer Club

Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A Baseball Map, But Not Like That Last One

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

really, greg maddux? what about phil niekro or christy mathewson instead?

pretty much everyone you have is old school besides maddux and smith... i like the old timer theme, and i think it should be consistent.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

ps. love the map idea
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Even if the player names are old-timers, I doubt I'll make the graphical theme specifically old-timey
Then again, that might be a fun way to differentiate this map from the other sports maps...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:really, greg maddux? what about phil niekro or christy mathewson instead?

pretty much everyone you have is old school besides maddux and smith... i like the old timer theme, and i think it should be consistent.
the.killing.44 wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:I'm not sure about Maddux, maybe Walter Johnson or Spahn instead but I like everything else :D

Well I'd agree if there wasn't a pseudo-consensus that we wanted a more contemporary pitcher on the list.

both fielders and pitchers span all of baseball. I like the idea of a contemporary pitcher, and he's the most deserving of all the contemporary pitcher's (if you mention any steroid users i will cry)
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby carlpgoodrich on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 am

Ya, I think our list is pretty solid. Of course there are some deserving names we didn't include, but you can't have everyone.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Ace Rimmer on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

There are no Orioles on your list of ballplayers, and I must object. Not to anyone on the list specifically, I'd just love to see an O on there. I see your home city, so there's no way Schmidt is going off in favor of Brooks. I think I could make an argument for Cal in place of Ozzie though.

I do sort of agree with Maddux, I had to think for a minute of which Greg fit in there with the rest of the legends. However, he was an excellent pitcher and sure to be a first ballot HOFer so I think he can stick. I am surprised that Stephen is not listed - he is the chosen one after all ;)

I think the defenders legend could be slightly rewritten. How about "Defenders assault each other as shown and can attack two territories away".

Shouldn't the mound be a red 6 to denote a killer neutral?

What about a bonus (+1) for each fielder you own? I am thinking they won't come into play much. I know they have the ranged attack, but with the balls being killer neutrals, after the first person they will be a 1 that is easily gone through, so I could see many players taking the same route out. (does that make sense?)

Jake
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby jrh_cardinal on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 am

jakewilliams wrote:I think I could make an argument for Cal in place of Ozzie though.

:evil: :evil: honus wagner's going there if ozzie is not

and i voted for brooks at 3rd

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 am

jakewilliams wrote:I think the defenders legend could be slightly rewritten. How about "Defenders assault each other as shown and can attack two territories away".

"Assault" is the official CC lingo and if I change it to "attack" Andy will yell at me. The other changes don't fit in the space very well. Is this a clarity issue or just aesthetics?

Shouldn't the mound be a red 6 to denote a killer neutral?

Good catch... not that it matters for the final product.

What about a bonus (+1) for each fielder you own? I am thinking they won't come into play much. I know they have the ranged attack, but with the balls being killer neutrals, after the first person they will be a 1 that is easily gone through, so I could see many players taking the same route out. (does that make sense?)

I can see that. They're useful for extra mobility but I don't think a +1 bonus would hurt. Especially since the field bonuses are all so porous.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:

I can see that. They're useful for extra mobility but I don't think a +1 bonus would hurt. Especially since the field bonuses are all so porous.

I agree. Maybe even a "+X for Y" type of thing?
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

+1 for each one would be simpler than +1 for each 2. It'd also promote more stacking on defenders, but I think players would stack on them anyway.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Ace Rimmer on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:I think the defenders legend could be slightly rewritten. How about "Defenders assault each other as shown and can attack two territories away".

"Assault" is the official CC lingo and if I change it to "attack" Andy will yell at me. The other changes don't fit in the space very well. Is this a clarity issue or just aesthetics?

Oops, I messed up. Basically change the "like so" to "as shown". Yes, leave both as assault, not attack. Clarity issue, I think "as shown" sounds clearer than "like so"

Jake
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I WAS BANNED FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS AND I DISAGREE WITH ALL OF THE PLAYERS WE AGREED ON

jk. They're good.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby lord voldemort on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 pm

i agree with the list of names....
this is looking good so far :) very much entertains my interests.
It could be me but the writting of the names appears difficult to read for me...could be the size or font...or it could be me sucking
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 pm

jakewilliams wrote:Oops, I messed up. Basically change the "like so" to "as shown". Yes, leave both as assault, not attack. Clarity issue, I think "as shown" sounds clearer than "like so"

"as shown" doesn't fit in the space as well. "thus" fits all right, but it's a bit too formal for this game.

lord voldemort wrote:It could be me but the writting of the names appears difficult to read for me...could be the size or font...or it could be me sucking

It's the font. I'll make sure not to use that font for anything that small. Does anyone know any good basebally/sportish fonts?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 am

Time for this one to get some more indepth gameplay analysis.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby squishyg on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 am

is it just me, or does the map look crooked? I'd prefer the map to be from the vantage point of home plate.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am

squishyg wrote:is it just me, or does the map look crooked? I'd prefer the map to be from the vantage point of home plate.

I think it might be too wide (I could do some measurements, but I'm too lazy atm).

At the very least, it'd be nice to put the foul lines perpendicular to the edges of the map.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby carlpgoodrich on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Time for this one to get some more indepth gameplay analysis.

I agree. My first comment is that I think the +5 on the pitchers is too high, maybe +3 would be better? Second, I think the region in far left field is harder to hold than the one with Hank, and should be worth at least as much, if not more.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby phantomzero on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm

squishyg wrote:is it just me, or does the map look crooked? I'd prefer the map to be from the vantage point of home plate.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's not pretty, but here's what it could look like from a different POV. Everything from the original fits and if I had the PSD file I could make it prettier!

Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby jrh_cardinal on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm

I like the idea, phantom and others. Would babe fit behind home plate? As the batter he belongs next to/behind home plate.

Couple other side notes that don't really matter at this point- there were two home runs, you'd have to squeeze in the second one under the mini-bonus field thing in right field. Also, it was kinda cool to have one of the home run balls be a letter in the title, not sure if that would be possible this way, at least with the small version of the map. And you're title is outdated ;)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:25 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:I agree. My first comment is that I think the +5 on the pitchers is too high, maybe +3 would be better? Second, I think the region in far left field is harder to hold than the one with Hank, and should be worth at least as much, if not more.

I don't think +5 is too high. Can you give an argument for your position?
Agreed about the Left Field region.

phantomzero wrote:I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's not pretty, but here's what it could look like from a different POV. Everything from the original fits and if I had the PSD file I could make it prettier!

No PSDs. So far this is all done in vector format on Inkscape. If anyone wants the SVG, just ask.

Click image to enlarge.

- Leftmost region now worth 3
- Changed color a bit
- Added +1 per defender bonus
- Rearranged the overall layout. Do you guys like this more?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: A Baseball Map

Postby ender516 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm

I didn't mind the other orientation, but this angle is perhaps more traditional. I find it odd to have Babe on deck right in front of the bullpen. (Yes, I know, that is not exactly what is depicted, but it is what I infer from this layout.) I would like to see some of the elements rearranged, but it might be easier for me to do it than to describe it. Could I get a copy of the SVG?

[Small point: "The batter assaults baseballs."]
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 am

Yeah, I think Babe needs to be at the plate at least close to the batter's box somehow.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby carlpgoodrich on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:47 am

jakewilliams wrote:Yeah, I think Babe needs to be at the plate at least close to the batter's box somehow.

Not sure this is exactly what you guys meant, but making the batter and home plate the same territory is an interesting idea. It would drastically change the gameplay, since home plate is part of the objective and the batter can be attacked by all the pitchers. You would also have to get rid of the killer neutral on batter which I think would hurt the gameplay at the beginning of games. Overall, this probably isn't a good idea, but I do agree with you that they should be physically close :)
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 am

ender516 wrote:I didn't mind the other orientation, but this angle is perhaps more traditional. I find it odd to have Babe on deck right in front of the bullpen. (Yes, I know, that is not exactly what is depicted, but it is what I infer from this layout.) I would like to see some of the elements rearranged, but it might be easier for me to do it than to describe it. Could I get a copy of the SVG?

[Small point: "The batter assaults baseballs."]

SVG is available at http://rassyndrome.webs.com/CC/Base_Map_SVG.svg

carlpgoodrich wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:Yeah, I think Babe needs to be at the plate at least close to the batter's box somehow.

Not sure this is exactly what you guys meant, but making the batter and home plate the same territory is an interesting idea. It would drastically change the gameplay, since home plate is part of the objective and the batter can be attacked by all the pitchers. You would also have to get rid of the killer neutral on batter which I think would hurt the gameplay at the beginning of games. Overall, this probably isn't a good idea, but I do agree with you that they should be physically close :)

In red is the big problem with this. I think the killer is fairly integral to the gameplay.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas