Conquer Club

Classic & Classic-Style Maps

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Map by sully800
Guide by stahrgazer with thanks to Robinette and the Strategy Guides Project team for their assistance.

Click image to enlarge.

Introduction
The Classic map reflects six of the main landmasses of the world with major cities as region names. Hold each region (city) of a bonus zone (landmass) at the start of the turn for the zone bonus indicated in the legend, the series of small globes along the bottom of the map.

Some players might be interested to know that this map is the last in a Classic progression. The first "Classic globe" map was replaced with two "Classic cube" maps: one with obscure Artsy names, another with geometrical Shapes; each with the same play-pattern. The Classic Shapes map was converted into the Society of the Cooks’ Strategy Training Map when, after a long and intense foundry process, Conquer Club settled on this aesthetic, "globe" map with cities of the world represented as regions. Older members occasionally reminisce about "the good ol' Classic," meaning the original "Classic globe" map from Conquer Club's launch.

At 42 regions and 6 traditional bonus zones, the Classic map offers sufficient strategic challenge for those who want to risk the agony of defeat for the thrill of victory against one or many opponents using a variety of the game options Conquer Club offers.

show: Classifications - Size, Features, and Complexity

With no alternative victory conditions - that can be found on some Conquer Club maps - the only way to win on the Classic map is to assault and conquer every opponent. The exception to this is Assassin, where one need only eliminate that one opponent to win the game.

How to play Classic

show: How to play Classic-Style Maps

Classic is fun for two to eight players, whether the setup is:
  • Two player (1v1)
  • Multiplayer (1vAll – the player against 2 to 7 opponents)
  • Terminator
  • Assassin
  • 2 to 4 Doubles teams
  • 2 Triples teams
  • 2 Quads teams

Recommendations
In general, go with automatic deployments; but you might want to opt for manual deployments sometimes in games with four or more players.

Flat rate or escalating spoils each offer pros and cons; players will argue vehemently as to which is best. For multiplayer (1 v. all) games, the option of choice is usually escalating, if for no other reason than to ensure the game ends rather than stalemates. No spoils, especially for team games; and nuclear spoils; offer chances to experiment with alternative strategies so that the same map becomes an entirely new game. On the Classic map, spoils are generally a matter of preference.

Fog of war is not necessary to Classic, but it is unique to online games and adds some spice. As personal preference, I do recommend the setting.

Conquer Club game options can change the strategy required to win. Rather than restrict yourself to just your comfort zone, have fun, experiment with all the varieties of game options. Classic is a versatile map!

show: Two Player

show: Multiplayer

show: Team Games

show: Terminator and Assassin

show: Manual Deployments

show: Similar Maps

show: Other Related Strategy Guides
Sergeant stahrgazer

Re: Classic & Classic-Style Maps

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:20 am

===============================
This ends the Official Map Guide.

However, there may be relevant strategy discussion outside the scope of this basic map guide located in the below further discussion.

Please keep the discussion general so it applies to many situations. Guidance about your specific games should go in the main Strategy forum.
===============================
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Thorvaldsson on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:06 am

This is a great guide. Thank you for all your work. This is my first guide and I am still pretty new here but I look forward to reading all the guides closely and learning from you all.
I am wondering if you would have anything to say about the difference between sequential play and freestyle on the classic map. Does it greatly change the strategies and tactics used on this map or is it generally the same for all(most?) maps?
Thanks.
Corporal Thorvaldsson

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Thorvaldsson wrote:This is a great guide. Thank you for all your work. This is my first guide and I am still pretty new here but I look forward to reading all the guides closely and learning from you all.
I am wondering if you would have anything to say about the difference between sequential play and freestyle on the classic map. Does it greatly change the strategies and tactics used on this map or is it generally the same for all(most?) maps?
Thanks.

Thanks. I made a couple minor errors (like Europe's interior regions), waiting for a mod to put the corrections in.

I don't freestyle much, but from what I've seen and experienced, freestyle is a matter of speed/timing to get your troops in the right assault areas and take out opponent stacks before he can wipe yours out, so it's an entirely different form of strategy, setting-based rather than map-based. In other words, where to assault, etc., will be the same for sequential and freestyle (although freestyle will probably favor long-reach regions early on, rather than scooping up bonuses early on).

If I'm inaccurate with this, maybe the freestylers will chime in for us.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Thorvaldsson wrote:This is a great guide. Thank you for all your work. This is my first guide and I am still pretty new here but I look forward to reading all the guides closely and learning from you all.
Thanks.

Since I play loads of freestyle I will chime in.

There are 3 basic styles of play

1. Seq - Which is one player at a time
2. Freestyle casual - Which gives a player 24 hours to move
3. Freestyle Speed - 5 minute moves.

I Split freestyle because the 2 are so different. FS Casual is all about timing and not being a total idiot. Follow the basic strategy for escalating, and you will be ok and make it to the "go" time without a problem. Figuring out what to do and who to kill is part of the skill. Being around at the right time is the other part. Do not play this style unless you around a good bit.

At FS speed, you will need clickable maps to be able to play and win at any decent rate. This one is not about timing since you are all there. Nobody is gonna make a kill of a person with 5 cards. While you can do it in casual fs you cannot do it speed fs. This one turns into not making mistakes while running around the map, and taking out players. Those who can make the least amount of mistakes will have the best shot at winning more times than not. Just remember the steal of a kill is as good as making one yourself.

With seq, you can take as much time as needed and no need to worry if someone will show up in casual or if you play speed, then 1 at a time. This also requires you to adjust your strategy for blocks, steals, and the like. If you try to use the same strategy on both types you will fail. Card count is a much bigger problem here than in freestyle.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby stahrgazer on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Thanks.

Since I play loads of freestyle I will chime in.

There are 3 basic styles of play

1. Seq - Which is one player at a time
2. Freestyle casual - Which gives a player 24 hours to move
3. Freestyle Speed - 5 minute moves.

I Split freestyle because the 2 are so different. FS Casual is all about timing and not being a total idiot. Follow the basic strategy for escalating, and you will be ok and make it to the "go" time without a problem. Figuring out what to do and who to kill is part of the skill. Being around at the right time is the other part. Do not play this style unless you around a good bit.

At FS speed, you will need clickable maps to be able to play and win at any decent rate. This one is not about timing since you are all there. Nobody is gonna make a kill of a person with 5 cards. While you can do it in casual fs you cannot do it speed fs. This one turns into not making mistakes while running around the map, and taking out players. Those who can make the least amount of mistakes will have the best shot at winning more times than not. Just remember the steal of a kill is as good as making one yourself.

With seq, you can take as much time as needed and no need to worry if someone will show up in casual or if you play speed, then 1 at a time. This also requires you to adjust your strategy for blocks, steals, and the like. If you try to use the same strategy on both types you will fail. Card count is a much bigger problem here than in freestyle.

Sounds like I didn't mess up, then: how to play freestyle on Classic is a strategy more based on playing freestyle than on the map itself, and based on positioning more than bonuses; and clickies and fast 'puter is needed for speed games.

Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 am

stahrgazer wrote:Sounds like I didn't mess up, then: how to play freestyle on Classic is a strategy more based on playing freestyle than on the map itself, and based on positioning more than bonuses; and clickies and fast 'puter is needed for speed games.

@ the bolded part. taking a bonus is 95 out of 100 times a bad idea in 6 player or higher on most any map. And freestyle does not need a good PC to be a winner, even for speed games. I would say you need clickable maps for speed now and just a stable internet connection that is faster than dial up.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 am

Bruceswar wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:Sounds like I didn't mess up, then: how to play freestyle on Classic is a strategy more based on playing freestyle than on the map itself, and based on positioning more than bonuses; and clickies and fast 'puter is needed for speed games.

@ the bolded part. taking a bonus is 95 out of 100 times a bad idea in 6 player or higher on most any map. And freestyle does not need a good PC to be a winner, even for speed games. I would say you need clickable maps for speed now and just a stable internet connection that is faster than dial up.

If you'd ever had a computer without sufficient RAM to process the interfacing, you'd agree with me about needing a "fast" computer. ;) A decent internet connection will help, yes; but if the connection sends faster than your computer can process, you'll still slug along... so both a reliable 'puter and connection are needed.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby GGSUS on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 am

Nice guide, didn't learn much, but clarified what I should do next time for an advantage..
Private GGSUS

Postby richardvoyageur on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Sorry about bumping an old thread, but as a color blind individual, i'm having a lot of trouble telling the difference between the city names themselves for Africa/Asia & Oceania. Is there any way to use color blind maps instead of the normal one or some other way to help guys like me?
Corporal 1st Class richardvoyageur

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 pm

You can use colour codes for the army numbers.
Bob is a download that will also help you out with things like bonuses. viewtopic.php?f=527&t=161049

Apart from that, the only other thing I can suggest is a visit to the foundry where maps are made and let map makers know where you are having difficulty.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby stahrgazer on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 am

richardvoyageur wrote:Sorry about bumping an old thread, but as a color blind individual, i'm having a lot of trouble telling the difference between the city names themselves for Africa/Asia & Oceania. Is there any way to use color blind maps instead of the normal one or some other way to help guys like me?

Short Term
If you install Mozilla Firefox and the BOB program, then when you hover your mouse over the circles for each city, the name of the city pops up in a different color below the map as well as the cities it borders/assaults and other information folk find helpful especially in Fog games.

Just knowing may help too. West to east, Dakar, Cairo and Nairobi are the external borders for the Africa Zone. West below Dakar and bordering (assaults/assaulted by) both Dakar and Nairobi, is Lagos; Lagos can also assault Capetown, the southern tip. On the east side, Johannesburg is between, and bordered by/assaults Capetown and Nairobi.

Long Term
The other thing you can do is make the concerns for folks with your eye condition known in the foundry itself, requesting an adjustment to the labelling colors that may help you.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Return to Conquer Club Discussion