Conquer Club

Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] = Database Entry Completed

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:25 pm

dolomite13 wrote: I have noticed a few games taking very long to complete when "no spoils" "nuclear" or even "flat rate" are selected ... has anyone else noticed this and do you have any suggestions how to maybe fix that?

=D=

yes, the games do take much longer than usual. Perhaps make the bonus's slightly worth more.
General Blitzaholic

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am

I think the bonuses we have and the gameplay are where I like them right now
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Well, it's been (almost) a week with no further complaints or criticisms...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Monsters Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations dolomite13, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:01 pm

MrBenn wrote:
              Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Monsters Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations dolomite13, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn

Woo Hoo ... Sep 25, 2008 - August 18th 2010 ... almost 1 year and 11 months from the first post the Monsters have been let loose on the unsuspecting Conquer Club community!!!!

Enjoy Everyone =)

=D=
Last edited by dolomite13 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - QUENCHED!

Postby ender516 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 pm

I think they might be beginning to suspect by now ... ;)
Congratulations!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Congrats =D>
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Dako on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:38 am

Very nice, congratz!
Colonel Dako

Postby greenoaks on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 am

In Game 7322179 shouldn't the shield for the Wizard Brago reset to 8 ?

It has been 4 for a long time now.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 am

Killer neutrals only reset when a player holds them.

Postby greenoaks on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:52 am

so if i want it to reset to 8 i need to knock off those 4

edit: i just took another look at the map. no mention of them being killer neutrals. the map says

Shields
Reset to 8 every turn

but they are not resetting like the map instructions say they will
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby natty dread on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 am

That's how killer neutrals always work. They reset at the beginning of the turn of the player holding them. If nobody holds them obviously they do not reset.

Postby ender516 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Unfortunately, this is not obvious to someone unfamiliar with the way killer neutrals work on CC. The legend should perhaps say, "When held, reset to 8 every turn". And we can't even point to the Instructions as I don't think they explain this sort of thing at all, unlike objectives, which are another feature perennially confusing to novices, but which do have a mention on the Gameplay Notes tab of the Instructions page. We regulars in the Map Foundry get so accustomed to the way these features work, we can forget that not everyone knows how these features are implemented. Really, if you don't take the time to think through the implications for fairness, it is easy to imagine that killer neutrals could reset every round even when not held by a player.
Rather than propose a revamp on all the maps that do not make this clear, perhaps we should suggest an update to the instructions which explains the killer neutral feature in detail.

Postby greenoaks on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

i do not visit the foundry so yes, a clearer explanation for the other 99% of CC'ers would be great

as it is now, the map is broken or the legend is poor

edit: is this going to be fixed ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby greenoaks on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:41 am

greenoaks wrote:i do not visit the foundry so yes, a clearer explanation for the other 99% of CC'ers would be great

is anything going to be done to fix this ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby drunkmonkey on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:32 am

greenoaks wrote:
greenoaks wrote:i do not visit the foundry so yes, a clearer explanation for the other 99% of CC'ers would be great

Since the map has been quenched for 2 months without complaint, I'd say 99% of CC'ers "get it". Dawn of Ages & Das Schloss have the same type of wording...if this has to be changed, we need to look at every map with killer neutrals. I don't see it necessary.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby greenoaks on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 am

drunkmonkey wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Since the map has been quenched for 2 months without complaint, I'd say 99% of CC'ers "get it". ...if Dawn of Ages & Das Schloss have the same type of wording this has to be changed, we need to look at every map with killer neutrals. I don't see it necessary.

then every map with so called 'killer neutrals' is flawed

nowhere on the map does it mention it is a killer neutral terit so i am not prompted to look at the Instructions tab to find out what these killer neutrals are.

this map is flawed and was prematurely quenched

drunkmonkey wrote:if Dawn of Ages & Das Schloss have the same type of wording this has to be changed, we need to look at every map with killer neutrals. I don't see it necessary.

i have never seen a map say they contain a "killer neutral"

what is a "killer neutral" ?

show me where it is explained to the general public in the "Instructions" tab (or in the map legend) what a "killer neutral" is
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Sadly, the Instructions are lacking in this area, but rest assured, work is in progress to update them and make this and many other features of CC more clear.

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 am

ender516 wrote:Sadly, the Instructions are lacking in this area, but rest assured, work is in progress to update them and make this and many other features of CC more clear.

Yes; we're actively working on improving the gameplay instructions. Hopefully there will also be some other behind-the-scenes changes to make it easier to pick up on map-specific instructions too ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm going to lodge a complaint about misleading wording for the "Mind Blast" powerstone ability. The legend says "assaults", which I rightly interpret to mean "can conquer and advance troops to." Well no, you can't do that, it's a bombard. I likely just lost a Doubles match because of this bad terminology.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm going to lodge a complaint about misleading wording for the "Mind Blast" powerstone ability. The legend says "assaults", which I rightly interpret to mean "can conquer and advance troops to." Well no, you can't do that, it's a bombard. I likely just lost a Doubles match because of this bad terminology.

Mind Blast does assault. If yours bombarded, it's a bug.

Edit: The only doubles Monsters game I see you in is Game 8314563, and there are no bombardments in the log.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:48 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm going to lodge a complaint about misleading wording for the "Mind Blast" powerstone ability. The legend says "assaults", which I rightly interpret to mean "can conquer and advance troops to." Well no, you can't do that, it's a bombard. I likely just lost a Doubles match because of this bad terminology.

Not sure what you mean TaCktiX... I've played a few games on this map and have only ever known Mind Blast to directly assault the runebound monsters. Perhaps you're confusing it with Lightning Blast's bombardment of powerstones and sheilds? Otherwise, I'm not sure where you're getting the bombardment from for Mind Blast.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Lightening Bolt Thoughts?

Postby Demen on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 am

dolomite13 wrote:
MrBenn wrote:How do you feel about the update? Are you going to stick with it, or do you see further tweaks down the line?
Honestly I believe that how the map is right now is pretty darn good ... I was torn on the lightning bolts between resetting to 3 neutral and simply decaying but I am starting to believe that the decay option is better in that once you have an army there it is sort of a sentry watching all of the powerstones in a fog of war game. The possibility that someone will eliminate all your forces except the lightning bolt exists and could slow down a game but I do believe the the benefits outweigh this negative. So I would say the map is done ... I need to go enter the info for the map into the map info database thing yet =)

=D=

First post guys so forgive me if this is the wrong place or anything.

I'm playing my first game on the Monsters/Powerstones map. I've been stuck on a lightning bolt for the later half of approaching 40 rounds. I don't want to deadbeat obviously but there's nothing I can do but sit there and it's getting silly. Is there anything I can do? Did I miss something? Any advise?

It's a lesson learn't of course but I won't be rushing back :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Enjoy your games!
Colonel Demen

Postby israel. on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:06 pm

I found an error on this map. In the legend it says the shields reset to 8 every turn. This isn't true the shields only reset if a player conquers the wizard shield. I'm not sure if it's programmed wrong or written badly in the legend. Thought you would want to know.

P.s. Great map, lots of fun
Captain israel.

Postby Gilligan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 pm

israel. wrote:I found an error on this map. In the legend it says the shields reset to 8 every turn. This isn't true the shields only reset if a player conquers the wizard shield. I'm not sure if it's programmed wrong or written badly in the legend. Thought you would want to know.

P.s. Great map, lots of fun

The latter, if anything. It's general that killer neutrals only happen when it's held by a player.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas