Conquer Club

[GO] Constant (Very Flat) Rate Spoils

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Flat Rate Across All Card Combinations

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Woodruff wrote:
jak111 wrote:but if that happened then it wouldn't be like normal risk at all >.>

You mean like "nuclear spoils" is?

Or even like the current Flat Rate setting is.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
jak111 wrote:but if that happened then it wouldn't be like normal risk at all >.>

You mean like "nuclear spoils" is?

Or even like the current Flat Rate setting is.

Exactly my point!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Flat rate is by far the worst setting. Making them all equal will reduce the luck, but it still involves luck. I'd rather just play No Spoils.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm

flat rate is the luckiest card setting :?
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Flate rate? Why play that when I could go stick a fork in a toaster? Anyway, I think that enough people are familiar with the flat rate system so as to change it could cause a lot of sudden confusion. Depending on how much support you get for the general idea of having a type of spoils that is always equivalent, you would probably have more luck getting a new type of spoil like that created than getting an existing spoils option edited.
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Anyway, I think that enough people are familiar with the flat rate system so as to change it could cause a lot of sudden confusion. Depending on how much support you get for the general idea of having a type of spoils that is always equivalent, you would probably have more luck getting a new type of spoil like that created than getting an existing spoils option edited.

Maybe I wasn't clear before, but my idea was to create a new card bonus setting, because, as you said, people are already familiar with the current "Flat Rate" setting. Obviously if this were to happen (which I really hope it does) we'd have to figure out a name for my suggestion like "Fixed" or something...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:Anyway, I think that enough people are familiar with the flat rate system so as to change it could cause a lot of sudden confusion. Depending on how much support you get for the general idea of having a type of spoils that is always equivalent, you would probably have more luck getting a new type of spoil like that created than getting an existing spoils option edited.

Maybe I wasn't clear before, but my idea was to create a new card bonus setting, because, as you said, people are already familiar with the current "Flat Rate" setting. Obviously if this were to happen (which I really hope it does) we'd have to figure out a name for my suggestion like "Fixed" or something...

Fixed seems reasonable, but then you'd have to get support from the general community for it to go through. I'd open a poll.
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:17 pm

If you have a game that goes on for a long time under this system, you're going to have a stalemate like you would in a flat rate game except that the threshold number of rounds is going to be much lower. In the current system, getting 10 extra troops when the stacks are 30 is much more significant than getting 4 when the stacks are 30. Anticipate more stalemates this way.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 pm

safariguy5 wrote:If you have a game that goes on for a long time under this system, you're going to have a stalemate like you would in a flat rate game except that the threshold number of rounds is going to be much lower. In the current system, getting 10 extra troops when the stacks are 30 is much more significant than getting 4 when the stacks are 30. Anticipate more stalemates this way.

Victor Sullivan wrote:
  • The idea is to have a troop bonus that applies to all card combinations i.e. 4 troops for 3 reds, 3 greens, 3 blues, or 1 of each.

When I said 4 troops, it was just an example. It could be 6 or 8 as long as it's not too high.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby gordon1975 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

i only play flat rate or no spoils,id play this setting. good idea
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:If you have a game that goes on for a long time under this system, you're going to have a stalemate like you would in a flat rate game except that the threshold number of rounds is going to be much lower. In the current system, getting 10 extra troops when the stacks are 30 is much more significant than getting 4 when the stacks are 30. Anticipate more stalemates this way.

Victor Sullivan wrote:
  • The idea is to have a troop bonus that applies to all card combinations i.e. 4 troops for 3 reds, 3 greens, 3 blues, or 1 of each.

When I said 4 troops, it was just an example. It could be 6 or 8 as long as it's not too high.

If it was say 8, then the person who drew the 3 card set would probably win most of the time too. 4 is only reasonable because it doesn't impart an insurmountable advantage to the lucky guy who gets a 3 card set. 6 might be debatable, but I would probably draw the line at 5.
Captain safariguy5

Re: Flat Rate Across All Card Combinations {Poll Added}

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:54 pm

My initial thought was 4, as that's what me and my friends do when we get together and play risk and it works best at least for the classic map cuz it's not too much to overpower the cards but not too few that you can't do anything with them. I think 6 would be my highest but we can debate the number later when this first poll's results are in.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 am

It's an ok setting, but I doubt it's different enough from no spoils and Flat rate to warrant the extra programming effort and extra space in the gamefinder/gamecreation screens.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby SirSebstar on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:54 am

I think the difference between flat rate and "fixed" as the Original poster (OP) suggested is a bit small.
luck;to take luck out of the equation, you are better served with no spoils.
e.g. you have 3 cards and a set, i have 4 and no set. still luck.
height;the amount of troops recieved was a suggestion. can be from 4 to say 8ish but not to high?! If its not high enough cards will not matter. e.g. the average cost in dice lost to get 3 red under flat rate is usually not enough to cover your losses. So 4 is way too low. And flat rate does tend to run into stalemates..

i see a valiant attempt to redesign the flat rate system (or suggest an alternate), but i suggest you try and think it through a bit more. both its positives and negatives and see where it adds to the site..\good luck
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:48 am

What about removing colors from the cards completely? Turn in any 3 for a set. If you have 3 in your hand, the set is worth 4, 4 in hand = 6, 5 or more in hand = 8. This would remove luck of the draw, give an incentive to hold cards, and still give players with only 3 cards a chance to cash in a last-ditch effort. Just an idea - if you don't like it, throw it out.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:49 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:What about removing colors from the cards completely? Turn in any 3 for a set. If you have 3 in your hand, the set is worth 4, 4 in hand = 6, 5 or more in hand = 8. This would remove luck of the draw, give an incentive to hold cards, and still give players with only 3 cards a chance to cash in a last-ditch effort. Just an idea - if you don't like it, throw it out.

I'm pretty sure something like this has been suggested.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby 40kguy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Woodruff wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:If you don't like the cards the way they are, don't use them as a game setting.
Just check this box when you create/find a game:
"No Spoils Checked"

But that doesn't logically follow at all, because there is a tremendous difference between "no spoils" and what he is suggesting.

how about esculating =D>
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 pm

What's with all the "No"s in the poll?? This saddens me :cry:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

because the fundamental flaw is still there. it doesnt matter in your case what kind of set you get, but if i continually get 3 card sets, theres still an imbalance.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Re: "Fixed" Card Bonus {Poll Added - I could use some suppor

Postby L M S on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Just play no spoils.

Or just make it so the spoils only provide a +2 bonus on the territories you own without an option to place them yourself and nothing beyond that...that would change strategy significantly and remove a lot of the luck factor right there.
“One of God's own prototypes.....never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
Sergeant 1st Class L M S
SoC Training Adviser

Re: "Fixed" Card Bonus {Poll Added - I could use some suppor

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:19 pm

That's a decent compromise. Anybody else like the idea?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby eddie2 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Flat rate is by far the worst setting. Making them all equal will reduce the luck, but it still involves luck. I'd rather just play No Spoils.

i would beg 2 differ nuc spoils is the luckest one id say
Major eddie2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

eddie2 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Flat rate is by far the worst setting. Making them all equal will reduce the luck, but it still involves luck. I'd rather just play No Spoils.

i would beg 2 differ nuc spoils is the luckest one id say

True dat!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: "Fixed" Card Bonus

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:28 pm

It'd be so sad not to see this implemented. It makes sense! Several people would use it, and if other people don't want to, they don't have to!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: "Fixed" Card Bonus

Postby RedRing on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 pm

I like this idea, one of the ones I was thinking about earlier. For people that LIKE spoils... but wish it has just a little less luck to it.
Sergeant RedRing

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions