Conquer Club

Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm

yeti_c wrote:The pirate cove idea won't work - it's a nice idea but impossible to code into the XML...

Having said that - once you have a finished map - give me a shout and I'll code you up some XML - or alternatively if you wanna learn I can teach you how to code it up. (You've picked up photoshop quickly - XML is a breeze in comparison)

C.

thanks man. i'll give you a shout for help when i get to the xml part.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby johloh on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:27 pm

interesting idea...

id give each resource on the map its own different color...so you can easily spot the other resources of the type youre looking for.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:55 pm

johloh wrote:interesting idea...

id give each resource on the map its own different color...so you can easily spot the other resources of the type youre looking for.

if i put other colours it messes the overall aspect of an old map. :wink:

i'll toy with the shades too see what i can do.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:00 pm

here is the new version. i added some shades. the bonuses should be very clear.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:19 pm

i added region names (with larger font) and modified the borders (they were a bit edgy).
and this is pretty much all i can think of. i'm waiting for suggestions.

Last edited by DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

Postby Nukora on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:23 pm

I like your bonuses on this one DiM. It's very interesting and has a whole new stragety to it, so it woudl be interesting to play.
Last edited by Nukora on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would really appreciate your opinions over here.
I (or my team) have won 24% of completed games including an Assassin game!
I am done playing for the summer. Things get busy.
Private 1st Class Nukora

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Nukora wrote:I like your bonuses on this one DiM. It's very interesting and has a whole new stragety to it, so it woudl be interesting to play.

and yet the poll is rather dissapointing even though i only have positive feedback on the thread :shock:
i would like the 6 people that voted NO to post their opinion, maybe things can be changed and they'd end up loving this map
Major DiM

Postby Hologram on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:39 pm

It's quite hard to read... Maybe more contrasting colors than old newsprint and faded black...
The inflation rate in Zimbabwe just hit 4 million percent. Some people say it is only 165,000, but they are just being stupid. -Scott Adams, artist and writer of Dilbert
Cook Hologram

Postby Hologram on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:45 pm

DiM wrote:i added region names (with larger font) and modified the borders (they were a bit edgy).
and this is pretty much all i can think of. i'm waiting for suggestions.

It's still quite hard to read...
The inflation rate in Zimbabwe just hit 4 million percent. Some people say it is only 165,000, but they are just being stupid. -Scott Adams, artist and writer of Dilbert
Cook Hologram

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Hologram wrote:It's still quite hard to read...

you're kidding me :evil:

either you have problems with your vision or i have really good eyes :shock:

i can't possibly understand how can someone not be able to read the text now. it's 16 font. if i make it any larger it will be more text than map. :cry:

i think the text is readable even in the small size version.

Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:07 pm

Maybe it's just the choice of font that makes it hard to read.

I'm confused though... is this the same as the pirate map or different? What's going on there, they're the same image yes?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:13 pm

the font is readable, but Parancas is a bit harder to read.

Also, please specify on the map what the continents are, and what the resources are. Also, wouldnt it make a bit more sense if the sea routes came from harbours?

(edit) also the text is readable in the small version to a point, but not the text in the top right corner
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:17 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Maybe it's just the choice of font that makes it hard to read.

I'm confused though... is this the same as the pirate map or different? What's going on there, they're the same image yes?

i'm no longer doing the pirate map so i transformed it into Age of Merchants. i think this one has better gameplay.

what font should i use? i think something that looks like handwrite is the best choice for this map. puting something like arial or tnr spoils the feeling.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Bad Speler wrote:the font is readable, but Parancas is a bit harder to read.

Also, please specify on the map what the continents are, and what the resources are. Also, wouldnt it make a bit more sense if the sea routes came from harbours?

(edit) also the text is readable in the small version to a point, but not the text in the top right corner

there are no continents. on this map you don't get bonuses for continents so they don't matter. and the resources are explained in the bottom right corner. i also added colour for better recognition.

i admit in the small version the top right text is a bit hard to read. i'll go now and serch for new fonts.
Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:25 pm

ok, if there are no continents why does it say at the top right:

owning a resource and a market on the same CONTINENT gives a bonus of 2

Owning a resource and a market on 2 different CONTINENTS...well you get the point

Also i thought the resources were just the 1st 4, but i guess im wrong, perhaps just put a title of resources above that legend to make sure its clear.

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 pm

here are some fonts which one should i use?

http://www.dafont.com/infiltrace.font this one is really nice but it may make the map even more unreadable

http://www.dafont.com/morpheus.font nice and maybe more readable

http://www.dafont.com/rapscallion.font nice feeling - it's readable.

http://www.dafont.com/crusades.font interesting

http://www.dafont.com/benegraphic.font also nice one.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Bad Speler wrote:ok, if there are no continents why does it say at the top right:

owning a resource and a market on the same CONTINENT gives a bonus of 2

Owning a resource and a market on 2 different CONTINENTS...well you get the point

Also i thought the resources were just the 1st 4, but i guess im wrong, perhaps just put a title of resources above that legend to make sure its clear.

ok i understand what you mean. i guess continents need to be more clear.
the first 4 are resources the other are harbours markets etc.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:25 pm

i gotta go home to sleep. this evening i'll try to do some more things like figuring out a way to clearly show the continents, probably finding a new font, and trying to somehow make the explanation box in the upper right corner take up less space and still be visible.

is this font better?? if you guys can't read this one either then you're blind :lol: :shock:

Major DiM

Postby Captain Crash on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:12 am

DiM wrote:is this font better?? if you guys can't read this one either then you're blind :lol: :shock:

Its not the size of the font, its the font itself...and that one is even worse!!

8)

Private Captain Crash

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 am

Captain Crash wrote:
DiM wrote:is this font better?? if you guys can't read this one either then you're blind :lol: :shock:

Its not the size of the font, its the font itself...and that one is even worse!!

8)

I concur - the new font is worse... the original font was fine for the larger map but a bit tricky on the smaller map - be aware of course that different people have different resolutions/monitor sizes that will change the physical size of the font.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:43 am

definately worse. readable but worse. One thing i noticed is that the cattle symbol in Garollia is larger then the rest.

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:07 am

yeti_c wrote:
Captain Crash wrote:

8)

I concur - the new font is worse... the original font was fine for the larger map but a bit tricky on the smaller map - be aware of course that different people have different resolutions/monitor sizes that will change the physical size of the font.

C.

yes i forgot about monitor sizes. :(
at home and at work (the 2 places i make this map) i have 21' monitors so maybe that's why i can read it very clear.
what do you say about the other fonts? also go at dafont.com and if you see something nice post the link here.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:08 am

Bad Speler wrote:definately worse. readable but worse. One thing i noticed is that the cattle symbol in Garollia is larger then the rest.

will take care of the cattle symbol in the next update. thanks for pointing it out.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:46 am

here is a new font. again i'm able to read it very well but i don't know about the ones with low res monitors.

please post your opinion, and don't forget, if you see a nice font just give me a link and i'll try it.

also modiffied cattle symbol in garollia.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:53 am

do you guys have any suggestions on how i could make the continents stand out? i was thinking of outlining the borders like on keyogi's revamp of middle east but i already think there's too much colour on this map :(

should i try different shades on the continents? would that make things more visible? i'm especially worried about the middle islands continent :wink:
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas