temporos wrote:Concise description:
- Migrate from a "1 to 5" star system to a "-2 to +2" star system.
- Right now: 1 is bad, 5 is awesome.
- Migrate to: -2 is bad, +2 is awesome.
- Migration should be retroactive.
- Lack of a rating should be counted as a 0 or "average" rating.
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
- Right now, the average player rating is about 4.8 stars: well above the 3 star "average."
- If the scale is adjusted such that "average" is 0, anything below average is negative, and anything above average is positive, the average player rating will naturally stabilize around 0.
- If a player does not wish to leave a rating for his opponents after a match, it counts as a 0 or "average" rating.
- This proposed system will encourage a more intuitive and reliable measure of a player's attitude, gameplay, and sociability.
- Players would be compelled to leave a rating only if they wish to leave an above or below average rating for another player.
- Players aren't left jaded when someone leaves them a less-than-5-star rating (i.e., everybody wins).
What we really should migrate to is a pass/fail system. Up or down. Air Force officer recommendations used to be based on what was equivalent to the "5-star" system, and it failed precisely as this one has - with rating inflation. But some time ago, the Air Force moved to the up/down or pass/fail system and it is far more fair than otherwise, and you don't see the inflation you did previously. It was far less subjective.