Conquer Club

Supernaculum

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Supernaculum

Postby Arghead on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:49 pm

The title: "Supernaculum"
The Latin word that literally means "until the last drop"

The story: In 2028 oil is a feature virtually extinct. A small, unknown and oil-rich island in the North Pacific suddenly becomes a territory that everyone wants to dominate. The major world powers then enter a battle to conquer the island and control the oil.

Basic starting rules:
- Each player starts with a set of three boats, airplanes, helicopters or submarines.
- All areas of the islands are neutral.

Hello
I would like to propose a new map:

I still have no name for it but I already thought in general rules.

And they are:

Attacks:

Besides the usual assaults across borders we have:

- Submarines can bomb capitals
- Submarines can assault ports
- Aircraft can bomb submarines
- Aircraft can assault airports
- Airports can assault aircrafts
- Ports can assault ports

BĆ³nus:

- Capital: +1 autodeploy

- Purple territories: +1
- Red territories: +2
- Yellow territories: +3
- Brown territories +3
- Oranges territories: +4
- Green territories: +4

- Aircraft: +5
- Submarines: +5

What do you think about the map and rules?
If you like, I need help because I have no idea of the next steps to make this idea reality. To make it work.

Thank you.

PS: Sorry, but my English is not very good.
Last edited by Arghead on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class Arghead

Re: New map idea

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:53 pm

The gameplay is kind of cool, but I'd rather see a landmass that I am familiar with as opposed to some made up land. A Nazi invasion of Crete might be a good theme for this type of gameplay, but you should swap the subs out for ships. You could also use paratroopers.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey, I like the idea of a conjured-up place. It gives more freedom to edit the map. I really like the fact that the yellow island and the grey island can only be accessed via ports and airports. The grey territory should have an airport on it so you can make it a +1 or something. This is really awesome, I love the forest-style impassables. I feel like brown needs an airport or something, since it neither has an airport nor a port. Also, maybe for the capitals have one per island? 1 for the yellow, 1 for grey, and 1 for the big island? Idk just some thoughts. This looks freakin' amazing, though. Keep at it!

-Sully :D
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Arghead on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:59 pm

I also like real maps but some of the maps I like most in Conquer Club are fictitious. It's interesting how we can use our creativity and create new maps. In this case, the submarines and the ability to bomb any capital, or the possibility of attacking the aircraft through the airport and then through them to bomb the submarines creates, I hope, new dynamics into play beyond the domain of certain regions. I would like to hear more opinions but of course I am completely open to add or change features of the map to make it viable

PS: I do not know what is a conjured-up place. My english not going very far...

Postby Arghead on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:08 pm

I believe that one capital for island could be a good idea. I also think a good idea to put an airport in the brown territory. Let's hear more opinions.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Arghead wrote:PS: I do not know what is a conjured-up place. My english not going very far...

It just means made-up ;). Another thought would be to have (if you choose to do the "one capital per island" idea) the large island's auto-deploy be 2, since it'd probably be harder to hold. Also, I think the yellow island would be harder to hold than the brown territories, so maybe that bonus should be higher? Just a thought.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby 00iCon on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 am

I saw this and immediately thought Iwo Jima WW2. Except it's missing a pointy bit to the southwest.
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:19 am

Aw, c'mon guys. Does it have to be a non-fictitious map? I don't see why we can't just leave it as is: a fictitious map. It's been done before, just not like this which is what makes it unique! (As well as other things). I stand by the original creation.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 am

It doesn't have to be non-fictious, but the map does need to have some kind of theme, fictious or non-fictious.

Currently, all I see is a piece of land, some territories, and bonus areas, but there's nothing that tells me what is going on at the map. There's no story to the map, it's just an ambiguous piece of land.

As for fictious maps, there are many examples of fictious maps that are built on a proper theme. Look at the Age of realms maps, or the new Thyseneal map. All of them have a theme, upon which the map is built.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:47 pm

A fictional map is cool by me - the problem with the planes and submarines is that it looks like a planet-earth C 20th/21st setting, which is somehow harder to imagine.

The solution would either to be swap for reality, as per Helix's suggestion, or make the map more obviously fictitious as some kind of other world setting: swap the planes and subs for other types of craft and call them something slightly different. the full story of the setting can come a little later on. I'm more than happy to help come up with this - for example, the airbound and sea-craft could be invaders from another world, a civilisation that has run out of land and resources and is looking to colonise the planet which the map is based on. ;)

Otherwise, your graphics are great quality for an initial draft, and the gameplay ideas are interesting and cool too. One capital peed though.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Arghead on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:33 am

00iCon wrote:I saw this and immediately thought Iwo Jima WW2. Except it's missing a pointy bit to the southwest.

I think that he only similarity is they both have an island. Moreover, nothing seems the same.

I also think that misses a context for the map. A story. I'm developing it now.
I think the map can also earn more interest if we put a wining condition, like conquer all capitals. And then, maybe the capitals could start with 5 neutral.

Today, ou tomorrow I will post an update of this map with some changes (like de C 20th/21st setting problem and others.)

Postby Arghead on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello again.
There's an update:

In the year 2028 the only place on earth that still has oil reserves are two small islands in the North Pacific. The War begins. All nations want to control the few oil that still remain.

Attacks: Besides the usual assaults across borders we have:

- Submarines can bomb Oil camps
- Submarines can assault ports
- Aircraft can bomb submarines
- Aircraft can assault airports
- Airports can assault aircrafts
- Ports can assault ports

BĆ³nus:

- Oil camp: +1 autodeploy

- Purple territories: +1
- Red territories: +2
- Yellow territories: +3
- Brown territories +3
- Oranges territories: +4
- Green territories: +4

- Aircraft: +5
- Submarines: + 5

---OIL CAMPS START WITH 5 NEUTRAL
---WINNING CONDITION: SECURE ALL OIL CAMPS

Better?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Yeah, I think so :D Looks great! What's with the oil camp off the coast of the yellow island?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm

You're going about this the wrong way...

You should first come up with a theme, an idea. Then build the map around that idea.

Not the other way around, as seems to be the case here... (you came up with a map, then built the theme around the map...)

And the idea itself... why would the last oil be found from a pacific island? If this is the last oil in the world, shouldn't all of the world be there fighting for it? Why then is there only 4 submarines, 4 airplanes? Where are the massive armies of the nations of the world?

Really, I applaud your enthusiasm, but I'm afraid you don't have a very solid concept here. No offense. At the very least it's going to need lots of development.

Postby Arghead on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:12 am

Ok, i'm a noobie in map making... I came with the map firtst and then the theme. But I think the map cool, i believe is funny to play it. So, I will continue to develop it to make it strong.

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:56 am

Well, that's good. It's good to have enthusiasm about this, you're going to need it...

Anyway, I hope you think what I said and try to take my criticism and use it to improve your idea. You obviously have some graphical talent, and I wouldn't want to see it go wasted, you just need to work on the concept a bit more...

Postby Arghead on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 am

Yes, I understand.
I did not start the right way but I believe that ultimately the most important thing is to have a good map and a good concept. It seems to me that the path to get there is not fundamental. So I will continue to work on the map hoping to reach a good end.

Thanks for the tips

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Hmmm... Just throwing out an idea here:
natty_dread wrote:And the idea itself... why would the last oil be found from a pacific island? If this is the last oil in the world, shouldn't all of the world be there fighting for it? Why then is there only 4 submarines, 4 airplanes? Where are the massive armies of the nations of the world?

Okay, sort of going off of what nutty_dread was saying:
In the year 2035 (or whatever), all fuel sources have all but died out. The search for new fuel sources has brought eight world powers, the US, the EU, China, Russia, Japan, Iran, South Africa, and Mexico (just the first eight "big" countires that came to mind), to a small set of islands in the Pacific Ocean called "Waterga" (idk I just made up a name). Capture and hold all oil camps and one country's submarine and aircraft to win!

Some things with this idea:
Obviously with this concept there will need to be more submarines and aircraft. A few more territories would be needed as well to balance out the gameplay a bit better.

Some other thoughts:
You could also have like three different resources (with multiples across the map) and make the objective "hold one country's aircraft and submarine plus one of each resource". You could have the resources be like oil, uranium, and [some other fuel-ish resource].

Idk just some thoughts. Hop it helps, cuz I think this map'll be great!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Arghead on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Hello again. Thanks for your ideas and suport. Have been a huge help to improve this map. And picking up on my ideas and mixing with your there's another proposal:

The title: "Supernaculum"
The Latin word that literally means "until the last drop"

The story: In 2028 oil is a feature virtually extinct. A small, unknown and oil-rich island in the North Pacific suddenly becomes a territory that everyone wants to dominate. The major world powers then enter a battle to conquer the island and control the oil.

Basic rules:
- Each player starts with a set of three boats, airplanes, helicopters or submarines. The player who control all the oil wells and at least one plane, helicopter, boat or submarine wins the game.
- All areas of the islands are neutral.

Attacks:
- Ships and submarines can only assault ports
- Airplanes and helicopters can only assault airports
- Ports can assault ports, ships and submarines
- Airports can assault airports, airplanes and helicopters

Bonuses:
- Oil camp: +1 autodeploy
- Purple territories: +2
- Red territories: +3
- Brown territories +4
- Yellow territories: +5
- Green territories: +5
- Oranges territories: +6

The map:

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 pm

This looks great! A nice improvement, I must say. Just make sure that someone who starts out with planes doesn't have an advantage over someone who starts out with boats and vice versa. I'm not saying merge the ports and airports, cuz I like the idea of the two sets of starting positions, each with different access points to the island(s).
A couple more suggestions:
1. More territories in the island (I feel like there aren't enough, but it still might be okay).
2. An airport on the grey island. A necessity, I think. That way there are 5 airports and 5 ports.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:05 pm

yeah more land territories dude

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Thank you, natty.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:12 pm

YOU ARE WELCOME DUDE

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Again, thank you, natty.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Obrens on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

Hello, everyone! I'm a total newbie here... kinda. I've played the real board game Risk, and I've played the free version of computer game Risk II, but I've registered to CC yesterday or smth like that. I hope that won't make you disregard my opinion here. English isn't my mother tongue, so don't mind if I make a mistake or two.
I think that 2 is not enough for Purple. Compare Purple & Red, Purple is harder to control.
Here's a thought:
Let Purple not have the oil well. That way people won't fight that much for Purple. But than you should connect Purple with the gray island and just write that there are some rebels in the gray island that took over the oil well from the Purple.
The gray island should definitely have an airport. If it doesn't, the players who start with ships and subs are in a better position than the plane/helicopter ones.
I don't think it's good that planes and ships are equal. I think that 4 players should start with 2 ships + 1 plane, and the other 4 with 2 planes + 1 ship. Than, you should return the options of planes bombing ships and ships bombing oil wells.
Private Obrens

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas