[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: The log should list all attacks

Postby fumandomuerte on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

You can take snapshots of the map with BOB...
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby ic on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm

pmchugh wrote:Im pretty sure this is on the to-do list.

I didn't see it on the list but I could have missed it if the title/description was different enough from what I was expecting.

nagerous wrote:I don't think this should be implemented as it takes away some of the strategy of memorising what the map looked like - taking away from some of the gameplay.

However, this would be good in freestyle speed games, when reviewing cheating and abuse cases. Back in the day and I'm sure this still takes place, a lot of the top players were rigging eight player escalating games so that certain players would win and 'break records' and this was partly done by slyly attacking enemy stacks so that the user could then sweep and kill everyone and if this feature was implemented, this would prevent this abuse from continuing.. or at least catch the culprits in action.

Even if you consider memorizing the map a strategy, this is still an issue.

The simplest example I can think of right now: Someone has three troops on a territory. They reinforce with three troops on that territory. Surrounding this territory are territories containing one army from all other players. The log says they ended their turn. Your turn is next. You see they have three troops on that territory. The log indicates nothing. They obviously lost three troops attacking. Who did they attack?

The problem becomes progressively worse the more players there are and the more events are separated by turn order.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: I checked the todo list again and it is discussed viewtopic.php?p=19837 although I'm unclear as to what the final result will be.
New Recruit ic

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:58 am

nagerous wrote:I don't think this should be implemented as it takes away some of the strategy of memorising what the map looked like - taking away from some of the gameplay.

If it is a non-fog game, who ever said that players had to memorize an entire map, times however many games they are playing... I do not really agree with you when you say its part of the game play, and I think this idea should be implemented... CC games are basically interpreting the act of war. You have armies or troops attack and defending against the other 'generals' armies. In a real war, you would know that yellow had attacked you, didn't take the territory, but did take a few troops. It would be properly documented, and you would without a doubt know that you have been under attack, and by whom you were under attack by.

fumandomuerte wrote:You can take snapshots of the map with BOB...

Taking a snapshot of each game every round and for every game, and then having to review those shots each turn for every game... that would increase the time taken for each game by at least 5 minutes, and most player (including myself) does not have the time or the patience to take that much time on each game... which is why having the log updated would be a great option in my opinion
rds is awesome!
Private 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Medals: 99
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (31)
General Contribution (1)

FOW alteration

Postby Halmir on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Concise description:
  • Don't know if it's just me but it really bugs me that when an enemy conqurs one of my territories in a Fog Of War game, the Log only records it as: "Asshat assaulted ? from ? and conquered it from Halmir

Specifics/Details:
  • It was my territory at the start of the round then I lost it fair enough. My suggestion though is that the log shows who has conquered which of my lands. I'm not too bothered to know precisely where the attack came from (it could be nice, but not vital). However on an 8 player map I could come back to find I've lost a dozen lands and I won't be certain who has taken which ones, if I can no longer see that region/continent etc

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Knowing who has taken which land helps me know where enemies are strongest - and most of all this just makes plain sense! My troops would get off a last radio message telling me that the Green army is attacking them, I'm sure!
Sergeant 1st Class Halmir

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: FOW alteration

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 am

Halmir wrote:Concise description:
  • Don't know if it's just me but it really bugs me that when an enemy conqurs one of my territories in a Fog Of War game, the Log only records it as: "Asshat assaulted ? from ? and conquered it from Halmir

Specifics/Details:
  • It was my territory at the start of the round then I lost it fair enough. My suggestion though is that the log shows who has conquered which of my lands. I'm not too bothered to know precisely where the attack came from (it could be nice, but not vital). However on an 8 player map I could come back to find I've lost a dozen lands and I won't be certain who has taken which ones, if I can no longer see that region/continent etc

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Knowing who has taken which land helps me know where enemies are strongest - and most of all this just makes plain sense! My troops would get off a last radio message telling me that the Green army is attacking them, I'm sure!

Amen!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 am

this was discussed over 2 years ago.

remember, the search function is your friend.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby jefjef on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:55 am

The mystery is part of FOG. You don't want mystery than play sunny games.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 am

jefjef wrote:The mystery is part of FOG. You don't want mystery than play sunny games.

Sure, but there's "mystery"...and then there's "silly and illogical". The current implementation is "silly and illogical" because it doesn't make any sense that an army would have no idea at all who attacked them or, even more likely, what direction they were attacked from.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 am

Woodruff wrote:
jefjef wrote:The mystery is part of FOG. You don't want mystery than play sunny games.

Sure, but there's "mystery"...and then there's "silly and illogical". The current implementation is "silly and illogical" because it doesn't make any sense that an army would have no idea at all who attacked them or, even more likely, what direction they were attacked from.

try to understand it with your human side
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby jefjef on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:08 am

Woodruff wrote:

The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill.
- Duke of Wellington
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:57 am

jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill.
- Duke of Wellington

An army (ANY army) that consistently uses this as their plan cannot possibly avoid utter defeat.

Postby jefjef on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Woodruff wrote:
jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

- Duke of Wellington

An army (ANY army) that consistently uses this as their plan cannot possibly avoid utter defeat.

No true. Custer guessed wrong once. Stonewall guessed right many times. FOG of war. If ya can't handle it play sunny.
Colonel jefjef

Postby Crazyirishman on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:23 pm

If you know FOW then you'll be able to tell where your enemies have attacked you from a lot of the time if you pay close attention to the log.
Captain Crazyirishman

Location: Maine, North Carolina, Colorado or somewhere in between.
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Crazyirishman wrote:If you know FOW then you'll be able to tell where your enemies have attacked you from a lot of the time if you pay close attention to the log.

Perhaps if you have a perfect memory or take snapshots of your games each turn you play. Otherwise...no, it isn't possible to tell from paying close attention to the log.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 pm

jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
jefjef wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

- Duke of Wellington

No true. Custer guessed wrong once. Stonewall guessed right many times. FOG of war. If ya can't handle it play sunny.

Said like a true pretend-strategist.

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions