Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Snowfight

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

WHAT SHOULD THIS MAPS GAMEPLAY BE? Dogs and Snowmen remain in all versions.

Poll ended at Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Total votes : 0

Re: SNOWFIGHT V11 (P5) ALTERED GAMEPLAY

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:52 pm

I like this idea. When I get done with the Ant thing I wanted to try something like this but more like a game called "Double Dragon"

Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Re: SNOWFIGHT V11 (P5) ALTERED GAMEPLAY

Postby carlpgoodrich on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 pm

In terms of openness, why not teams on one side of the road can only attack teams on the other side? Thats a lot simpler than it is now and would provide similar gameplay. I also really like the idea of having the throwers bodies be a separate territory, although I would make one modification: have the throwers arms (or snowballs) be killer neutral resetting to 1. After all, you can only throw a snowball once :D . I think it would make the attacking a lot more interesting, since in order to attack anyone you HAVE to go through a killer neutral.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Re: SNOWFIGHT V11 (P5) GAMEPLAY VOTING

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 pm

OK Voting is on. Get to it peeps!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Honestly, I'm fine with either of the "Open Assault" options.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:57 pm

5 votes so far.
at this rate, we'll be back in the dead project bin b4 xmas.
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Oh, don't be so pessimistic, cairns! Cheer up!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:39 pm

This is one of the coolest maps I have seen! I would prefer one of the open assault options.
High score: 1991 Captain
Achieved November 21th, 2010
Private 1st Class RedFlyingGolf

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:53 pm

the way I always envisioned my open fight map was that each dude would have specialties, some would auto deploy one but only be able to attack the leader of the other team, some would be wide open assualt, some would bombard BIG bombs... etc..

you set this up with ingenuity that would really define this map.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 pm

to add on to this... imo the maps that everyone do not start on equal footings are the best maps inmo .. like feudal, waterloo...
each kid could have a different set of skills... the kid that puts a rock in his snowball could be the king assaulter on each team.. there is always a kid that "Guards" the fort... that could be your auto deploy 3 or 4 but he doesnt attack anyone on the other team.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 pm

more votes poeple please
Private cairnswk

Postby CoolC on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Not sure what "with body added" means but I voted for it in the hope it means we can also attack the dudes with a circle on their body. I guess it could also mean you'll add body + hand for all guys which I'm against. First option is also ok.

edit: changed my vote then.
Last edited by CoolC on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't need a 500px image in my signature because I don't have anything to compensate for.
Corporal CoolC

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 pm

CoolC wrote:Not sure what "with body added" means but I voted for it in the hope it means we can also attack the dudes with a circle on their body. I guess it could also mean you'll add body + hand for all guys which I'm against. First option is also ok.

I agree with CoolC here (if anyone should know anything about "cool" maps it's CoolC, am I right? :mrgreen: ) Chose option 2 but I'm fine with either Open Assault option.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
CoolC wrote:Not sure what "with body added" means but I voted for it in the hope it means we can also attack the dudes with a circle on their body. I guess it could also mean you'll add body + hand for all guys which I'm against. First option is also ok.

I agree with CoolC here (if anyone should know anything about "cool" maps it's CoolC, am I right? :mrgreen: ) Chose option 2 but I'm fine with either Open Assault option.

I also dont understand the body arm thing.

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:31 pm

RedFlyingGolf wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

I also dont understand the body arm thing.

Yes it means that each person in the scenario would have two components - hand and body - that could be attacked.
Private cairnswk

Postby carlpgoodrich on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:35 am

Is it every person or just the throwers? I though it was just the throwers, since the snowmakers don't really extend their arms.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Is it every person or just the throwers? I though it was just the throwers, since the snowmakers don't really extend their arms.

Sorry, correction, you are correct, it's just the throwers.
Private cairnswk

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:28 am

Ok, the gameplay seems to have a firmer direction than before and all seems right on that front.

My next biggest concern is the graphics. The background is very well done and it blends into the snow quite nicely. But the people are stiff and colored very strangely. They really contrast with the photorealistic background to this map's detriment. So that said, I'd really like for you to tackle this as soon as possible as I fear in the graphics workshop, you might have too much invested in the map to want to make any changes but tweaks.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Ok, the gameplay seems to have a firmer direction than before and all seems right on that front.

My next biggest concern is the graphics. The background is very well done and it blends into the snow quite nicely. But the people are stiff and colored very strangely. They really contrast with the photorealistic background to this map's detriment. So that said, I'd really like for you to tackle this as soon as possible as I fear in the graphics workshop, you might have too much invested in the map to want to make any changes but tweaks.

IH, thansk for input, but i will not be ready to tackle the graphics until after the gameplay is sorted out.
Also If you have any ideas on how to make the people not so stiff and not coloured strangely i would appreciate some ideas.
Private cairnswk

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 am

cairnswk wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Ok, the gameplay seems to have a firmer direction than before and all seems right on that front.

IH, thansk for input, but i will not be ready to tackle the graphics until after the gameplay is sorted out.
Also If you have any ideas on how to make the people not so stiff and not coloured strangely i would appreciate some ideas.

Are you any good with the pen and paper? It might be an idea to draw out people traditional style and scan them and add digitally. Alternatively, you could find someone here who can do something like that. Originally I suggested a call for photographs of people dressed in their winter gear striking the pose of a person on the map. Or, you could just grab people from images off the internet. Another possibility would be to keep the lines of the figures while doing away with the colors, then finding fabrics of various tones online. Use those to fill in the color and space between the lines to give it a more realistic effect instead of the neonish shades on a few of the characters you have now.

Those are a few ideas I have that spring to mind. Each could go in a variety of ways.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:...
Are you any good with the pen and paper? It might be an idea to draw out people traditional style and scan them and add digitally. Alternatively, you could find someone here who can do something like that. Originally I suggested a call for photographs of people dressed in their winter gear striking the pose of a person on the map. Or, you could just grab people from images off the internet. Another possibility would be to keep the lines of the figures while doing away with the colors, then finding fabrics of various tones online. Use those to fill in the color and space between the lines to give it a more realistic effect instead of the neonish shades on a few of the characters you have now.

Those are a few ideas I have that spring to mind. Each could go in a variety of ways.

Thanks IH.
With the exception of the snowmen, the people and dogs are outlines of people images from the net already with various fills for distinguishment. Of course there is a lot to be done graphically, but i was more interested in how to make them less stiff. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:02 am

Still only 16 votes and 9 days to go for voting....
Feedback #s hardly seems worth my bother.
Private cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 pm

this isnt a high traffic forum man... besides- your work speaks for you. I think whatever you decide on doing will probably be the best way.

edit- erg trying to say "Melting pot doesnt get a ton of hits" I think once you get to graphics and gameplay there will be no end of helpful suggestions =D
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby carlpgoodrich on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I agree, I like this map a lot. I don't think the number of votes is a good way to measure support for a map.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Yes, this isn't the most popular forum around. I think this is a great map, so keep working at it man.

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box