Conquer Club

A Capital Competition -- It's over!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which is your favorite?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Entry A
22%
Entry B
17%
Entry C
61%

Total votes : 18

A Capital Competition -- It's over!

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm

The winner of the Capital Map Graphics Competition: thenobodies80's "Middle Ages"
Click image to enlarge.

Runners up:
Entry A: Castle World
Click image to enlarge.

Entry B: Kingdoms of Zarhn
Click image to enlarge.

---- Original post ---

Could it be? The felicific aroma or a substantial new gameplay update? Losing Conditions are here!

MrBenn wrote:Losing conditions (technically known as 'requirements') are a form of objective that you must continue to hold in order to avoid being eliminated. If your 'requirement' objective is taken from you, then you will be instantly eliminated from the game. (You can think of this as a 'capture the flag' scenario).

Your faithful CAs have thought long about how to commemorate this historic addition, and I am proud to announce the launching of our new Capital Map Graphics Competition. My fellow CAs and I have come up with a gameplay scheme based on capitals -- territories each player has to hold in order to stay in the game. To make it easy for you, we've done did all the delicate balancing and number crunching, and now it's your turn. Take this gameplay scheme, and immortalize it as Conquer Club's first required capital map.

Format
    The main period for entries into this contest will be three weeks long, ending on Wednesday, November 10. The entries will, as usual, be anonymous, and so please PM your entries to me, Evil DIMwit, by then.

After three weeks, all the entries will be looked over by a committee of discerning CAs who will produce a shortlist of only the best few entries. The mapmakers, still anonymous, will get one week for comments and refinements before the maps are put to a general vote. Voting should last about another week, with possibly a final runoff round.

Map Specs
    The gameplay is as follows: There are eight capitals on the map, that are separate regions from the geographical territories they're contained in. There are eight starting positions, each of which consists of one capital and the adjoining territory: The capital starts with 9 troops and the other territory starts with 3 (yes, we can have starting positions with multiple territories -- another XML feature that's never been used).* If at any point you don't hold a capital -- as soon as you have no capitals left -- you're eliminated from the game as if you have no territories left, and your remaining armies revert to neutral.

The gameplay scheme as is set above has to be followed. We can tweak bonuses and territories after the winner is crowned, but for now, in the interest of fairness, every map will have the same gameplay scheme. That's not to say it must have the same theme, location, or shape. As far as those go, creativity is encouraged. Capitals don't have to be capitals; they can be castles, or radio stations, or what have you. The map can take place anywhere and any time as long as it has the same territorial arrangement. However, for those who want something to trace over we do provide a standard theme:

Click image to enlarge.

Note that territories labeled with "2" start with 2 neutrals. This is to prevent high bonuses from being dropped on the first turn.

The Stakes
    The overall winner will receive one year of premium membership, as well as an achievement medal and a mapmaking medal. The final runners-up will receive achievement medals for competing.

Good luck!

Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: A Capital Competition

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I love the new XML guys... And I know you will use it well. But I urge you to really think out your map designs. I think this type of map BEGS for gridlock. So please use your imagination . Most players HATE gridlock... well at least Myself and my friends do. Looking forward to this competition!
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Ffraid on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Your gameplay scheme and your standard theme maps don't match. Specifically, Southern Europe has a starting neutral territory in the theme map but not in the scheme (which I thought was odd, since every other starting position is adjacent to one starting neutral).
Colonel Ffraid

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Ffraid wrote:Your gameplay scheme and your standard theme maps don't match. Specifically, Southern Europe has a starting neutral territory in the theme map but not in the scheme (which I thought was odd, since every other starting position is adjacent to one starting neutral).

:oops: Yes, I missed a spot in the gameplay scheme. There should be a neutral on what corresponds to Northern Europe. It should be fixed now.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Ffraid on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
Ffraid wrote:... Southern Europe has a starting neutral territory in the theme map...

:oops: Yes, I missed a spot in the gameplay scheme. There should be a neutral on what corresponds to Northern Europe. It should be fixed now.

Yes, sorry, by Southern Europe I meant the bonus region represented by the southern part of the continent of Europe (i.e. not the Scandinavian countries). I should have been more clear. Looks like it's all good now though.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd like to highlight this bit...
Creativity is encouraged

:P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:45 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'd like to highlight this bit...
Creativity is encouraged

:P

As in, you don't want a Classic Capitals? ;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Have you had many entries yet, Evil DIMwit?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 pm

I think you'd get more entries if it were a gameplay competition and not graphics.

I was considering attempting, but then I realized I'm awful with graphics. I think you'd get more entries if it were gameplay (aka don't force a map-style, allow anything that involves capitals).
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby MrBenn on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 am

Army of GOD wrote:I think you'd get more entries if it were a gameplay competition and not graphics.

I was considering attempting, but then I realized I'm awful with graphics. I think you'd get more entries if it were gameplay (aka don't force a map-style, allow anything that involves capitals).

Although the idea here is to get a finished map that makes it into Live Play :P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Army of GOD wrote:I think you'd get more entries if it were a gameplay competition and not graphics.

If you've got a gameplay idea, by all means please post it in the Melting Pot. There is certainly a lot of potential to the update that this contest never comes close to.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:41 am

It's looking like we don't have a lot of entries yet, so I'm going to extend the competition for another week. The due date is now November 10. Make sure to send your entries to me, Evil DIMwit, in a clearly marked Private Message, by then.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby squishyg on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 pm

i have zero graphics experience, except for putting a jack o' lantern over my head. but i do have long term map making aspirations and a clever idea for the contest. can i submit a rough design with an explanation and perhaps some color swatches?
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:38 pm

squishyg wrote:i have zero graphics experience, except for putting a jack o' lantern over my head. but i do have long term map making aspirations and a clever idea for the contest. can i submit a rough design with an explanation and perhaps some color swatches?

Sure - why not?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Has anyone produced a skeleton XML file for this gameplay layout?

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Not yet.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Working on it.

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:03 pm

ender516 wrote:Working on it.

Err... until territories have been named and coordinate locations confirmed, this seems a little but futile :-k
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:15 pm

MrBenn wrote:
ender516 wrote:Working on it.

Err... until territories have been named and coordinate locations confirmed, this seems a little but futile :-k

Arbitrary placeholder labels can be used and easily changed with global search-and-replace commands when the time is right.

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 am

The gameplay scheme as is set above has to be followed. We can tweak bonuses and territories after the winner is crowned, but for now, in the interest of fairness, every map will have the same gameplay scheme.

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean there can't be a victory objective, or a main assaulting territory, like P.A.F. in WWII Poland?
High score: 1991 Captain
Achieved November 21th, 2010
Private 1st Class RedFlyingGolf

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:12 pm

RedFlyingGolf wrote:
The gameplay scheme as is set above has to be followed. We can tweak bonuses and territories after the winner is crowned, but for now, in the interest of fairness, every map will have the same gameplay scheme.

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean there can't be a victory objective, or a main assaulting territory, like P.A.F. in WWII Poland?

No objectives, no new elements. There can't even be a single territory connection that's different from the contest scheme. In theory, if a group of players start up any one of the contest entries, they are playing the exact same game, and just seeing different pictures.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
RedFlyingGolf wrote:

No objectives, no new elements. There can't even be a single territory connection that's different from the contest scheme. In theory, if a group of players start up any one of the contest entries, they are playing the exact same game, and just seeing different pictures.

Oh wow. I'm not entering then

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm

If you've got an idea for something that's similar but with new gameplay features, you're welcome to take it to the Melting Pot for discussion.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby RedFlyingGolf on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:If you've got an idea for something that's similar but with new gameplay features, you're welcome to take it to the Melting Pot for discussion.

Sounds like a plan :)

Postby ender516 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 pm

I presume that the starting positions have underlying neutrals, so that games with 3, 5, 6, and 7 players have the unused starting positions removed from the random drop.

Next

Return to Competitions