Conquer Club

Old Map Ideas Thread, Closed!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ivalice

Postby sfhbballnut on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:04 pm

Last edited by sfhbballnut on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby SunTsu on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:05 am

Don't forget to mention the Battledome: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1141
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Copy Bunny into your Profile to help him on his way to world domination
Cadet SunTsu

Postby Haydena on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:08 am

vtmarik wrote:What about a D&D map of Faerun, or maybe the subterranean areas where the Drow live?

Sample map: http://web.worldofmagic.at/web/wizz/pix/dnd/faerun.jpg

Damn, you beat me to it... Bah...

You mean the underdark marik?
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Jota on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:48 am

The Kingdom of Loathing.

Put on your helmet turtles, grab your asbestos crossbows, and let's go beat up a few dirty hippies and knob goblins and steal their meat. Kingdom of Loathing is a very funny and very silly web-based MMORPG that many of you have probably played before. Those of you who haven't, what are you waiting for? Go give it a try; we'll wait.

Back yet? OK. So I think the Kingdom might work out rather well as a Risk map. The main map is already laid out conveniently, with locations being divided up into different areas like The Nearby Plains and The Big Mountains. These would work out well as continents, and a mapmaker who decided to pursue this idea would have a lot of flexibility and freedom with deciding which locations to include and how to split things up (e.g. are the Right and Wrong Side(s) of the Tracks two separate continents?). It could be a lot of fun to make.

One caveat, though: if you do decide you might want to do this, I strongly recommend contacting Jick (the guy who runs the site) first. KoL is also a web-based game, so it's possible that he might see something like this as stepping on his toes. On the other hand, he's a pretty decent guy, so there's a good chance he'll give it his blessing, and if you ask nicely, he might even let you use some of the official KoL artwork in your map.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby onbekende on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:39 am

I have made a map of Flanders with all the borders and continents done, I just need someone to work on it with GIF or something (am terrible with it) and then to do the HTML work (can't do it eather and haven't have time)
Thanks in advance.

I will do this more with other maps I make this way.
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

sports map or state map

Postby nyg5680 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:02 pm

is a sports map or maybe a certain state as a board a good idea
:?:
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby rocksolid on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:08 pm

onbekende wrote:I have made a map of Flanders with all the borders and continents done, I just need someone to work on it with GIF or something (am terrible with it) and then to do the HTML work (can't do it eather and haven't have time)
Thanks in advance.

I will do this more with other maps I make this way.

Post it in a thread for comment and I can help with graphics and xml.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby ynot4by4 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:42 am

I would just like a place where I can look at a map in full view. Sometimes I want to join a game but I don't know what the map looks like.
Private ynot4by4

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 am

You can do this by using the game finder and entering a game in progress involving the map you're interested in.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Finsdale on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Anyone played the original Age of Wonders? That might make a pretty good map, though, there would probably be 12 different continents. and I'm not sure how well 12 small continents would work... Image there's a few more groups... the Frostlings control the northern frozen area, and the azracs are where it says "Azrac Empire" Humans are in the game, but you really can't give them a continent, unless you would count the Valley of Wonders theirs, they took it over in the game... Not that it really matters for a Risk map...

Edit:Found a working image
Corporal 1st Class Finsdale

Postby Finsdale on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:55 pm

Could anyone tell me how many territories would be too many? I may decide to make an Age of Wonders map myself..

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:04 am

I believe that 60 is a good number, and much more could be a problem. In 3 players games, if you start with 30 countries (the map has 90), you will get initial deployments of 10, so the initial player has an advantage already... well, maybe not with 90 countries, but if you increase it too much... hmm, I think you understood already.

Anyway, Im thinking about redesign the classic map, so it can have 90 countries, maybe 120... not a map to few players :D
Major Marvaddin

Postby 356 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 am

I think that it would be a good idea to have a ant war map. like take over a city. Anyone intrested in trying?
I dunno how to make maps.
Private 1st Class 356

Postby garionoldwolf on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:55 am

not sure if any of you have read the books, and I'm not sure about copyright issues about this, but how about a map from the book series by David Eddings called The Belgariad. Here's a picture of the map:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~necroma/Boo ... garath.jpg

(And for those who don't know this series is where my username comes from)
Cook garionoldwolf

Postby vtmarik on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Haydena wrote:
vtmarik wrote:What about a D&D map of Faerun, or maybe the subterranean areas where the Drow live?

Sample map: http://web.worldofmagic.at/web/wizz/pix/dnd/faerun.jpg

Damn, you beat me to it... Bah...

You mean the underdark marik?

YES! That's what I meant to say! I couldn't remember what the second word was.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:18 am

how about a map of earthsea but exculding all the really small islands you would probably have to have one hell of a lot of connections between the islands though
i would do this but lack time and the skill to do it
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Fairy Tale Kingdoms

A map of a fictitious land where all the familiar fairy tales and nursery rhymes take place. It would need to contain forests (with locations like the witch's cottage (from Hansel and Gretel), the Three Bears' house, the Seven Dwarfs' mine, Grandmother's house), cities (with the Shoemaker (of elf fame), the (brave little) Tailor), etc.), castles (for Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella's prince, etc.), the seashore (Little Mermaid...), and likely other kinds of places I'm forgetting.

It would make sense to have one kingdom per continent, I think, with one castle per kingdom. Maybe even bonuses for holding the castles, like capitals. There are enough stories out there that you could probably fill a map like this twice over.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:13 pm

...or along similar lines, an Alice through the looking glass map, with some of the gimmicks of Alice chess translated.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:16 pm

...or along similar lines a Golf Course (miniature or non) where each hole and say the club house, cart garage, and maintenance building are areas...

Wait, that's not similar at all! :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Oooh. I really like that Alice idea. Looking Glass and Wonderland together would work well too, with a small England continent that linked to both.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Finsdale on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:17 am

Jota wrote:Oooh. I really like that Alice idea. Looking Glass and Wonderland together would work well too, with a small England continent that linked to both.

Maybe I'm wrong but.... Aren't they the same thing?

Postby Jota on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:35 am

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are two separate books. Alice enters Wonderland when she's chasing the White Rabbit and falls into the rabbit hole, but she gets into Looking Glass Land by climbing through the large mirror over the fireplace (if my memory serves correctly). I believe some of the characters from Wonderland do appear beyond the looking glass as well, suggesting that the two are connected, but I think the specific places Alice visits in the two books are completely separate.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 am

New idea.

The Great Escape

A game based on the film with a building based plan, with fences, tunnels crows nests (Crows nests could have the tactical advantage of height) etc.

with 6 escape to points outside of the prison.

The idea being to get a certain number/percentage of your pieces out of the prison to the escape points (You can only deploy new armies into the prison)

This game would work well in triples where you could be prison guards/prisoners with number of prisoners shot/escaped
Major Pedronicus

Postby AndrewO on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:50 pm

I like the sound of that one.

I was toying with the idea of suggesting a prison break map, so this will do the same job nicely.
Lieutenant AndrewO

Postby AK_iceman on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:40 pm

I dont know much about making maps, but how hard would it be to make an animated map? Maybe the natural barriers could shift after x amount of turns, or when someone gets eliminated they disappear. Or the rivers in the map divert, or the lakes dry up, or the montains get excavated. The possibilities are endless. Just an idea tho, if someone wants to expand please do. I think it would take this game to another level.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas