Conquer Club

[Online] Map XML Wizard

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: UPDATED Map XML Wizard

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 am

Firefox (latest version) @ Windows XP

screenshot:
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:16 pm

chipv, i have a request and i guess it would be possible since you've managed to do some great things here... :)

Click image to enlarge.

Above is an image of checking things in Stalingrad.
The map inspect section in the middle of your tool comes up with everything listed for a region and has a scroll bar on the side. But that scroll bar appears useless as you lose that map inspect section and all the detail disappears so i can't scroll anywhere, when you move off the territory your inspecting.

My solution is to ask you if it is possible to have a couple of buttons (like on the small and large map options) where you can click on an individual button called "Borders" and it would only show the borders; if you click on the "Bombardments" button it would only show bombardments; if you click on the "All" button it shows everything; etc. etc.

Also, i am asking if you have given any further thought to moving the Territories, Name, Borders (and Bombardments), Coordinates titles in the bottom section scroll list to make it static with the other two rows above so that you don't lose those titles when scrolling through your territories list.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:56 pm

There seems to be a problem with awarding the same bonus to more than one player at a time. I noticed this working on Napoleonic Europe 1812, but you can check it against New World. If, for example, more than one player has 2 Comanche Territories, each one should receive the bonus at a start of a turn. But right now, they seem to cancel each other out. Also, if one player has, say, 6 Comanche Territories and the other has 2 Comanche Territories, the overrides of the first player's continents also seem to override the bonus of the second player.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 pm

ender516 wrote:There seems to be a problem with awarding the same bonus to more than one player at a time. I noticed this working on Napoleonic Europe 1812, but you can check it against New World. If, for example, more than one player has 2 Comanche Territories, each one should receive the bonus at a start of a turn. But right now, they seem to cancel each other out. Also, if one player has, say, 6 Comanche Territories and the other has 2 Comanche Territories, the overrides of the first player's continents also seem to override the bonus of the second player.

I'm assuming this is in chipv's game "simulator" functionality, rather than in an actual CC game?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:41 pm

MrBenn wrote:
ender516 wrote:There seems to be a problem with awarding the same bonus to more than one player at a time. I noticed this working on Napoleonic Europe 1812, but you can check it against New World. If, for example, more than one player has 2 Comanche Territories, each one should receive the bonus at a start of a turn. But right now, they seem to cancel each other out. Also, if one player has, say, 6 Comanche Territories and the other has 2 Comanche Territories, the overrides of the first player's continents also seem to override the bonus of the second player.

I'm assuming this is in chipv's game "simulator" functionality, rather than in an actual CC game?

Yes. People are testing my XML for Napoleonic Europe 1812 and muttering about not getting bonuses. As far as I can see, I have defined it properly. To test my theory, I loaded New World into the Wizard and it has the same problem, as I said above. I suspect it is a matter of the Wizard evaluating who owns what within a continent and assigning it to a player (which you can see in the scrolling list of continents when the box containing the delete button (circle with an X) changes colour to match the player). More properly, since a bonus can be held by more than one player, each player needs to have a list of continents assigned, or possibily the continent could have a list of players, rather than a unique owner.

Postby chipv on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:05 am

Fixed, thanks, ender
Captain chipv

Postby natty dread on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 pm

natty_dread wrote:Firefox (latest version) @ Windows XP

screenshot:
Click image to enlarge.

Ok, I resolved this problem. It was because I had set a different font as the default font for firefox, when I changed it back to 16px times new roman the army numbers are showing as usual again.

The 88 centering still has problems though: the red 88:s are 1 pixel too low, and white 88:s are 1 pixel too low and 1 pixel to the right.

Postby ender516 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 pm

If you are looking for new features to add to this marvelous tool, may I suggest a feature that automatically adds new territories to a continent selected from those already defined. That would allow me to create an empty continent, then select that one for auto-add, then create a mess of territories, then create another continent, select it, and create another mess. Lather, rinse, repeat, bada-bing, bada-boom.

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:59 am

The 88 centering still has problems though: the red 88:s are 1 pixel too low, and white 88:s are 1 pixel too low and 1 pixel to the right.

This still not fixed.

Postby ender516 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey, chipv, how long before an update to deal with the new losing conditions/requirements feature? OliverFA is estimating 60,000 lines of XML for the Research & Conquer map, and even if he constructs it without the Wizard, it might be nice to test it with the Wizard.

Postby ender516 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 am

Has something changed in this tool? The files I "Browse" on disk no longer "Load". They all get something like "Error: test.xml not an XML file." I thought I had loaded these files this way in the past. (The files I have at fileden.com seem okay.)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 am

Same for me.

Postby chipv on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 am

I get the same too, I will look into this asap.
Captain chipv

Postby chipv on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Is it still failing now? I just tried and my original XML worked.
Captain chipv

Postby ender516 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, it's loading and parsing now, but I'm getting errors that I wouldn't expect, since I don't think I edited the file after the Wizard generated it. It seems like empty <bonus></bonus> pairs are being generated, but these cause errors like:

Error: Line 154 - Type short doesn't allow value ''
Error: Line 154 - Error validating datatype short
Error: Line 154 - Element bonus failed to validate content

By the way, any idea why the loading went bad?

Postby chipv on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:16 pm

ender516 wrote:Well, it's loading and parsing now, but I'm getting errors that I wouldn't expect, since I don't think I edited the file after the Wizard generated it. It seems like empty <bonus></bonus> pairs are being generated, but these cause errors like:

Error: Line 154 - Type short doesn't allow value ''
Error: Line 154 - Error validating datatype short
Error: Line 154 - Element bonus failed to validate content

By the way, any idea why the loading went bad?

I haven't changed anything in months so looks like a temporary glitch on that server. Can I see your XML?
Captain chipv

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 am

I will put it in a PM to you.

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:38 am

Loading from hard drive still not working for me.

Postby chipv on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 am

The server has disabled the functionality I need for that for free accounts (which mine is), I'm afraid
so you'll have to upload the XML and do it using the other link.
Captain chipv

Postby ender516 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh, bother.

Is there a possibility you could make this an application that we run on our own machines? Or could you convince lackattack to host it for you here on CC? If you could incorporate the functionality of the XML tool (and you have a lot of it already, but you don't have the text map), then development and testing could all be done right from the site.

By the way, I have not checked, but do you support the losing conditions feature?

Postby FarangDemon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:59 am

Does Auto XY not work if xml entries for the size you wish to have automatically done already exist? I am clicking Auto XY on small map and nothing is happening.

Not knowing about this tool, I had made all the xml from scratch. But I didn't have good positioning because I was guessing. Now that I've got your tool, I have already moved all the territs around using the cursor in the big map. Now I don't want to do it again manually for the small map. Do I need to delete all the small xy tags in the xml file for Auto XY to work?
Last edited by FarangDemon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby chipv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 am

ender516 wrote:
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh, bother.

Is there a possibility you could make this an application that we run on our own machines? Or could you convince lackattack to host it for you here on CC? If you could incorporate the functionality of the XML tool (and you have a lot of it already, but you don't have the text map), then development and testing could all be done right from the site.

By the way, I have not checked, but do you support the losing conditions feature?

The problem is that the server needs to support a specific feature. Mine no longer allows it for free accounts.
If lack does host it, his server needs to support this functionality also. I can talk to him about this.

Losing conditions not done yet, is on my list todo, but thanks for reminding me!
Captain chipv

Postby chipv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 am

FarangDemon wrote:Does Auto XY not work if you xml entries for the size you with to have automatically done already exist? I am clicking Auto XY on small map and nothing is happening.

Not knowing about this tool, I had made all the xml from scratch. But I didn't have good positioning because I was guessing. Now that I've got your tool, I have already moved all the territs around using the cursor in the big map. Now I don't want to do it again manually for the small map. Do I need to delete all the small xy tags in the xml file for Auto XY to work?

Correct on all counts. You need to set all the coords in the small map to zero to get it to work this way.
The reason is that actually in practice auto adjusting doesn't work perfectly because of rounding. So you ought to be
adjusting small map also manually. I think you will see if you set all small m ap coords to zero, you may still need to adjust
coords unless the large map dimensions are exactly double the small map dimensions.
Captain chipv

Postby FarangDemon on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks, chipv. I'll use cursor then. I had assumed it would just use the ratio of the pixel widths between large and small maps to get the scale factor.

Your xml tool is udderly amazing, btw.

I used the simulator to work out the kinks in my Thailand map... Works like a charm!
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby chipv on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 pm

FarangDemon wrote:Thanks, chipv. I'll use cursor then. I had assumed it would just use the ratio of the pixel widths between large and small maps to get the scale factor.

Your xml tool is udderly amazing, btw.

I used the simulator to work out the kinks in my Thailand map... Works like a charm!

Thanks, yes, quite right. The scale factor can have rounding errors depending on the ratio of large map to small map dimensions which is
why I recommend using the cursor, nothing can be done about this, as I'm sure you can see.
Captain chipv

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Guides