[Done] Embedded Videos

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Done] Embedded Videos

Postby nemrehs1 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Concise description:
  • Videos embedded in posts

Specifics/Details:
  • Much like images can be embedded in posts rather then following a link, the videos should be the same way.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • People don't have to go out of their way to watch posted videos.
  • Prevents a CC member from clicking on a video to a shady website, ensuring computer safety.
  • Ease of access among everyone.
  • Easier to follow videos in series, rather than having to click on multiple links at a time.
  • How-To Videos can be easily posted among the Tech Team and various other contributing CC members.
  • Prevents Rick-rolling.
09:42:14 * jakewilliams quit (kicked from Trivia Contest by jakewilliams - reason: So long, and thanks for all the fish)
Lieutenant nemrehs1

Re: Embedded Videos

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I can almost guarantee this won't go through, soon anyway. I talked with people about potential new BBCode tags - it was said that it would probably slow down pages and isn't worth the work that would be put in, unlike some other tags ;)
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Calidrmr on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I think this is a great idea! I don't know the technical details it would take to implement, but I like it! :D

rds...party pooper! :lol:
<Juan_Bottom>You're like the Barry Bonds of drinking. You don't need the practice you just do it because you like it.
Corporal 1st Class Calidrmr

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Calidrmr wrote:I think this is a great idea! I don't know the technical details it would take to implement, but I like it! :D

rds...party pooper! realist :lol:

;)

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:14 pm

nemrehs1 wrote:Concise description:
  • Videos embedded in posts

Specifics/Details:
  • Much like images can be embedded in posts rather then following a link, the videos should be the same way.

• People don't have to go out of their way to watch posted videos.
  • Prevents a CC member from clicking on a video to a shady website, ensuring computer safety.
  • Ease of access among everyone.
  • Easier to follow videos in series, rather than having to click on multiple links at a time.
  • How-To Videos can be easily posted among the Tech Team and various other contributing CC members.
  • Prevents Rick-rolling.

if you hover over the link, you can see where the link actually goes.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:39 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Calidrmr wrote:I think this is a great idea! I don't know the technical details it would take to implement, but I like it! :D

rds...party pooper! realist realist :lol:

;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 pm

As a fan of being lazy, I fully support this suggestion.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby MeDeFe on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:23 am

Is there a way to ensure the videos DO NOT, under any circumstances, start playing automatically?
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Darwins_Bane on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 am

MeDeFe wrote:Is there a way to ensure the videos DO NOT, under any circumstances, start playing automatically?

Yes, there is a way to do everything. That's the wonder of the internet. The problem is, I don't know if you can stop it buffering, which is what actually slows the loading of the rest of the page down. Buffering being loading the video into a temp folder in local memory.
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby blakebowling on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:31 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:Is there a way to ensure the videos DO NOT, under any circumstances, start playing automatically?

Yes, there is a way to do everything. That's the wonder of the internet. The problem is, I don't know if you can stop it buffering, which is what actually slows the loading of the rest of the page down. Buffering being loading the video into a temp folder in local memory.

The BBCode I created using the object embed from YouTube does not buffer the video until you click the play button.
EDIT: The YouTube object embed method does not buffer the video regardless, this was updated due to complaints :)
Private blakebowling

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:58 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:

The BBCode I created using the object embed from YouTube does not buffer the video until you click the play button.
EDIT: The YouTube object embed method does not buffer the video regardless, this was updated due to complaints :)

I seen this tag, but I wasn't a fan in the context of our site. I'd rather have us work with more blatantly useful things.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:07 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I seen this tag, but I wasn't a fan in the context of our site. I'd rather have us work with more blatantly useful things.

I like how I see this argument being used in a lot of places. "Well, i'd rather have something cooler/more useful/better/etc be done first". Well, almost no little update would be done as people would argue for all the biggest updates be done only.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby blakebowling on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:12 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:I seen this tag, but I wasn't a fan in the context of our site. I'd rather have us work with more blatantly useful things.

I like how I see this argument being used in a lot of places. "Well, i'd rather have something cooler/more useful/better/etc be done first". Well, almost no little update would be done as people would argue for all the biggest updates be done only.

It takes about 45 seconds to add a BBCode into the ACP, no file edits, just a form to submit.
Private blakebowling

Postby nemrehs1 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 pm

What would you consider more blatantly useful?
09:42:14 * jakewilliams quit (kicked from Trivia Contest by jakewilliams - reason: So long, and thanks for all the fish)
Lieutenant nemrehs1

Postby cena-rules on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I think this is a great idea! Would make life so much easier
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby Darwins_Bane on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 pm

blakebowling wrote:The BBCode I created using the object embed from YouTube does not buffer the video until you click the play button.

I was doing some reading, and a little thinking. If you were using the bbcode you would need to host the videos somewhere. Is it the intention of the suggestion to store the videos on the page, or on the server, or just plain on some other hosting side and just embedding the videos there instead of linking to them?
Just a couple questions i thought of to better clarify before we proceed.
DB
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby blakebowling on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:
blakebowling wrote:The BBCode I created using the object embed from YouTube does not buffer the video until you click the play button.

I was doing some reading, and a little thinking. If you were using the bbcode you would need to host the videos somewhere. Is it the intention of the suggestion to store the videos on the page, or on the server, or just plain on some other hosting side and just embedding the videos there instead of linking to them?
DB

Its a youtube embed code, meaning it uses the video ID of a video on youtube and it simply puts the video into the page.
Private blakebowling

Postby nemrehs1 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:

DB

I was thinking to embed the video like a picture, the video is on another hosting site, and we just embed the videos there. It shouldn't be more complicated then embedding an image from another site
Lieutenant nemrehs1

Postby Darwins_Bane on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:01 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:

DB

Its a youtube embed code, meaning it uses the video ID of a video on youtube and it simply puts the video into the page.

I was thinking more generally than youtube. It could theoretically be done for any hosting site, could it not?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby blakebowling on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:
blakebowling wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:

DB

I was thinking more generally than youtube. It could theoretically be done for any hosting site, could it not?

Yes, but not all using one BBCode. Youtube must have its own because of the API/Objects that it uses. I'm not sure about other video hosting sites, but most likely a lot of code would have to be written to make them work.
Private blakebowling

Postby Darwins_Bane on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 pm

What about the BBCode dynamically generating the embed by querying the server at the time it's embedded, to determine the way the video is stored so it can call it properly.
As an example take the youtube stuff. You input [video] tags and the function queries youtube to determine how it is stored in order to correctly embed the video. I'm not sure if this is actually feasible to do tho.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby blakebowling on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:What about the BBCode dynamically generating the embed by querying the server at the time it's embedded, to determine the way the video is stored so it can call it properly.
As an example take the youtube stuff. You input [video] tags and the function queries youtube to determine how it is stored in order to correctly embed the video. I'm not sure if this is actually feasible to do tho.

Not feasible. That would require a hardwired modification of the code. All I'm doing is making a BBCode replacement through the ACP (er, well Andy would be doing it).
Private blakebowling

Postby alex951 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Great idea!!!!!
Corporal alex951

Embedding YouTube into the forums

Postby Commander9 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Concise description: Embedding YouTube into to the forums, so people would be able to embed YouTube videos directly into the forums rather than just posting the links.

Specifics/Details:
  • A button at the current bar that would say YouTube and that would say this: [YOUTUBE]M4JhV9LjuoY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]. You would just include the latter part of any YouTube video and it would be embedded to the forums.
  • The video will be directly embedded to the post and people will be able to view just by pressing play.

• Easy to implement and makes the life much easier and much more fun.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Re: Embedding YouTube into the forums

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Merged
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions