Conquer Club

The Battle of Gettysburg(re-opened with new map!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Battle of Gettysburg(re-opened with new map!)

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:09 am

first off, please ignore all the things posted below this post, and start at the bottom of page 2, thanks

Last edited by Unit_2 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby mibi on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:12 am

what exactly are you bringing to the table here?
Captain mibi

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am

ok, i live in Pa, as you might know. and i am going to try to make a map of Gettysburg, there was a big war there. in the civ war the south want to gettysburg to have a Big fight over slavery.

and i also live right near Gettesburg

Postby Guiscard on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Ok I'll get straight to the point... You need to develop your graphical ability a hell of a lot. Just go mess around with fireworks or gimp for few months...

Most map-makers have got a lot on their plate already, and would be perfectly capable of developing a map like this on their own anyway.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby sully800 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:21 pm

Have you previously asked Keyogi for help? Or is this your way of asking him?

Just wondering :lol:

Anyway, I like the idea of battlefield maps. After all, they exemplify what the game is all about so I think its a great place to start (better than any abstract idea anyway)
Major sully800

Postby Qwert on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:11 pm

i compete agree with sully, I also try to create map of battle of bulge, its very large bettleground of ww2
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Jack0827 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 pm

great idea if you can get some one to help you. I have been to Gettysburg twice, you could call me a sort of expert on it considering that I have studied it in my free time for as long as I can remember, but it could work as long as you got somone to help you out or if you could get better at graphics. by the way the battle was the last great confed. push to end the war. they wanted to destroy the unions economy and force the north to withdraw they men and to sighn a truce. there are some nace posibilitys for contenents like the fishhook(the union right flank) and the round tops(their left flanks) as well as the city town itself and the valley like aria between the two lines. if you can make it than I would love to see it but it would need to look good graphicaly
Private Jack0827

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 pm

I've got a PM from Unit_2 asking for my help on this one, and I'm considering it. I've thought the Battle of Gettysburg could make a nice map for a while now, but I don't have a huge interest in the American Civil War or have the knowledge to do this thing justice.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I've got a PM from Unit_2 asking for my help on this one, and I'm considering it. I've thought the Battle of Gettysburg could make a nice map for a while now, but I don't have a huge interest in the American Civil War or have the knowledge to do this thing justice.

You know what I would like you to do Keyogi? A map about Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Would that interest you?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:54 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:You know what I would like you to do Keyogi? A map about Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Would that interest you?

It's not something I am familiar with, but I'm always open to suggestions.

If you've got some good info and sources on the subject, PM with the details and I'll look into it.

Postby Spockers on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm

You know what I would like you to do Keyogi? A map about Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Would that interest you?

hell yes, do that. I was disappointed the 1812 thread wasn't about this
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby Spockers on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Last edited by Spockers on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Back on topic.

After a quick bit of research I think Gettysburg could work quite well. Some things to consider though. The map's I've looked at are all quite tall, so it may have to be rotated to make it playable without having to scroll. I was also wondering if we could do away with traditional continents and offer bonuses for holding strongpoints such as McPherson Ridge, Big Round Top, etc. I think it would be nice to give it that real battlefield feel, rather than fighting over continents. Just something to consider.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:27 pm

KEYOGI wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:You know what I would like you to do Keyogi? A map about Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Would that interest you?

It's not something I am familiar with, but I'm always open to suggestions.

If you've got some good info and sources on the subject, PM with the details and I'll look into it.

Spockers posted links that have some good maps and a bit of history in this thread Keyogi. If you are interested that could be a good place to start.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Jack0827 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:37 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Back on topic.

After a quick bit of research I think Gettysburg could work quite well. Some things to consider though. The map's I've looked at are all quite tall, so it may have to be rotated to make it playable without having to scroll. I was also wondering if we could do away with traditional continents and offer bonuses for holding strongpoints such as McPherson Ridge, Big Round Top, etc. I think it would be nice to give it that real battlefield feel, rather than fighting over continents. Just something to consider.

that would work well for the battle but it should be more like holding little round top and big round top. little round top was mostly cleared so you could put artilary on it but big round top was completly wooded but it was much higher ground. you could have direct roughts along like the baltimore pike because it was a majer rode. that is the other great thing about gettysburg. six or seven roads intersect at it making for loads of possibilitys
Private Jack0827

Postby Jack0827 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:41 pm

hear is a link that preaty well describes the battle in most of its stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg
Private Jack0827

Postby sully800 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Rotating the map won't be a big deal, as most people won't know what the area looks like anyway (so nothing will seem out of wack). Just indicate North properly and it will be fine.

As for giving bonuses for the territories instead of continents- It makes sense from the battlefield perspective, but I don't know how well it will work for a CC map. After all, someone will begin each game controlling those territories, through no skill of their own...so starting with bonuses could mess up the games.

Perhaps you should just make the key battle points powerful by their position on the map- Big and Little Round Top could attack many countries through one way borders and only a few countries could attack them. That could make it worthwhile to hold the key areas without specifically giving them a bonus.
Major sully800

Postby Jack0827 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:47 pm

sully800 wrote:

Rotating the map won't be a big deal, as most people won't know what the area looks like anyway (so nothing will seem out of wack). Just indicate North properly and it will be fine.

As for giving bonuses for the territories instead of continents- It makes sense from the battlefield perspective, but I don't know how well it will work for a CC map. After all, someone will begin each game controlling those territories, through no skill of their own...so starting with bonuses could mess up the games.

Perhaps you should just make the key battle points powerful by their position on the map- Big and Little Round Top could attack many countries through one way borders and only a few countries could attack them. That could make it worthwhile to hold the key areas without specifically giving them a bonus.

I agree a little with both perspectives so maby some sort of compromise. the battle was almost completly about getting the best positoins. the main strongholds would need to be ridges with lesser hills also playing a part. while the valley in betwean would be almot imposible to hold and would always change sides
Private Jack0827

Postby Luke035 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:40 pm

I love this idea. My wife and I went to Gettysburg on our honeymoon. This might just be the pitch I can throw to get her involved in CC and not grumble whenever she sees me sit down to my computer desk and call up my latest games in progress.
Private Luke035

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 am

Luke035 wrote:I love this idea. My wife and I went to Gettysburg on our honeymoon. This might just be the pitch I can throw to get her involved in CC and not grumble whenever she sees me sit down to my computer desk and call up my latest games in progress.

i'd love to see that you and your wife would play. so, i think me and KEYOGI will work on this a bit. so keep posting what you think is best so we can make it Right.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Unit 2...hi....Keyogi dropped by and kinda suggested that I might lilke to have a look at Ghettysburgh with U.
I'll have a look over the weekend...if you're OK with that....and put some basic ideas on a map...i have good Fireworks skills, please refer my maps in current development as per my signature block.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Sorry cairnswk, that was actually directed at DiM but if anyone is willing to help Unit_2 then I'm sure it'll be appreciated. I haven't started work on this project yet, let alone fully commit to it, so if there's some enthusiastic cartographers itching to be involved in another map then it's okay by me, but Unit_2 will have to approve, it's his project. :wink:

I'm sure there's someone who could produce this thing quicker than I could. I have enough things on my plate, this could take me months.

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 pm

ok, i will let someone help me, but i need to know who they are and know them first. before i accept him/her.

and i am going to get a base of it , ASAP

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, both DiM and cairnswk are decent cartographers from what I have seen. They can both create nice looking maps and both listen to what the foundry has to say.

I'll still have input, just like any other map, but if you want to get this moving anytime soon, I recommend one of the above guys to help you out. 8)

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 pm

tho can you help me get a map KEYODI

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas