Which should be used?

True Poker cashing
28%
Percentage based cashing
72%

Total votes : 50

Re: Poker Spoils [LAST CALL]

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 pm

ender516 wrote:Am I correct in assuming that a player would still be forced to cash something once he had collected five spoils?

Good question. I would presume that is correct also, but I don't believe it was addressed. And it could make a significant difference.

(I think this is a tremendous idea, by the way.)
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby NightWolf on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 am

I don't see much reason to dismiss this suggestion. One thing I like about it is that it would, if players chose, add a new meaning to collecting spoils at the end of a turn. Not to mention, it would make for an interesting poker twist to the game if the option was set.
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Postby pmchugh on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am

ender516 wrote:Am I correct in assuming that a player would still be forced to cash something once he had collected five spoils?

I would say so yes.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Laughing.Boy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am

Yes, that is actually, in my opinion, quite important. If a player could collect any number of spoils it would diminish the rarity and thus the worth of a five-spoil cash.
Lieutenant Laughing.Boy

Postby khazalid on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 am

5 is obviously intended to still be the maximum, just refer to the OP.

great idea btw
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:55 am

Haven't seen much on this lately, but I would just like to say to Bruce and anyone else not in support:

If you don't like the option when it's implemented, don't play it.

Lots of people really don't like flat rate (I'm one of them), but you don't see me going around, bantering the Suggestions forum with how the option should be deleted. If an idea has merit to a reasonable amount of CC members, then it should be considered.
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby PsyDev on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:03 pm

I think this is a really bad idea because it adds too much randomness to the game--you won't know if your opponent will be cashing in a small amount or very large amount of armies. More randomness == less strategy.

I think a much better idea for an alternate spoils is to use the currency method (stars on a card) which is used in modern versions of the Risk board game. It has some of the same advantages of poker method (it lets you cash in with any amount of cards; it also allows for some randomness because you don't know how many stars you will get per card). Its advantages are that it's more simple (no having to know poker hands) and is established as a workable game mechanic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28ga ... n-in_rules

You can say "if you don't like it, don't play it" but the reality is that there can only be so many options for games before there are too many. We should go with a method that's been tried and true and not have endless options for spoils.
Major PsyDev

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 pm

PsyDev wrote:I think this is a really bad idea because it adds too much randomness to the game--you won't know if your opponent will be cashing in a small amount or very large amount of armies. More randomness == less strategy.

I think a much better idea for an alternate spoils is to use the currency method (stars on a card) which is used in modern versions of the Risk board game. It has some of the same advantages of poker method (it lets you cash in with any amount of cards; it also allows for some randomness because you don't know how many stars you will get per card). Its advantages are that it's more simple (no having to know poker hands) and is established as a workable game mechanic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28ga ... n-in_rules

You can say "if you don't like it, don't play it" but the reality is that there can only be so many options for games before there are too many. We should go with a method that's been tried and true and not have endless options for spoils.

You already posted a new thread, no need to turn this thread into a thread about your spoil type. Please stay on topic.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby PsyDev on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:15 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
PsyDev wrote:You already posted a new thread, no need to turn this thread into a thread about your spoil type. Please stay on topic.

I just posted that new thread after writing this reply.

This was on topic. I think this is a bad idea because there are only so many options one can have before having "option overload". I think this other system is a superior choice with many of the same qualities (being able to cash in at any time, etc.)
Major PsyDev

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 pm

I think this is a bad idea. I have tried to get 2 friends on this site recently and both said there was too much to it and too overwhelming at first. I don't think more options for game types need to be added unless most people think it is just fantastic.

To me this is just another bland option that does not add a whole lot in the way of strategy, it really is a similar method in theory to flat rate cards with just different numbers of armies for different types of cashing. The obvious strategy is to way until 5 cards to try and get the best combination possible.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Commander9 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:I think this is a bad idea. I have tried to get 2 friends on this site recently and both said there was too much to it and too overwhelming at first. I don't think more options for game types need to be added unless most people think it is just fantastic.

To me this is just another bland option that does not add a whole lot in the way of strategy, it really is a similar method in theory to flat rate cards with just different numbers of armies for different types of cashing. The obvious strategy is to way until 5 cards to try and get the best combination possible.

This. I also know a few people that came, played a few games and left afterwards, because there was just too much things going on. Obviously, the site must evolve in order not to be left behind, but I don't think doing lost of minor things often are better than waiting until something of true quality comes out.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:24 pm

PsyDev wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
PsyDev wrote:You already posted a new thread, no need to turn this thread into a thread about your spoil type. Please stay on topic.

I just posted that new thread after writing this reply.

This was on topic. I think this is a bad idea because there are only so many options one can have before having "option overload". I think this other system is a superior choice with many of the same qualities (being able to cash in at any time, etc.)

CC Community Guidelines wrote:If the main point of your post is about something other than what the OP intended, it's not on topic, even if you did post about how you agree/disagree with the OP.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Commander9 wrote:
Chuuuuck wrote:I think this is a bad idea. I have tried to get 2 friends on this site recently and both said there was too much to it and too overwhelming at first. I don't think more options for game types need to be added unless most people think it is just fantastic.

This. I also know a few people that came, played a few games and left afterwards, because there was just too much things going on. Obviously, the site must evolve in order not to be left behind, but I don't think doing lost of minor things often are better than waiting until something of true quality comes out.

This +2.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby myfriendkyle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 pm

So don't have it available for new members. Seems like an easy enough answer.
Sergeant 1st Class myfriendkyle

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions