Conquer Club

Macedonian map?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Macedonian map?

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:11 pm

The Greeks probably didn't like the Roman's either... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_ ... rovince%29
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:19 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Right. There are probably literally tons of people who dislike the naming of something geographic---here on Conquer Club or in the real world. There are probably some Irish who dislike being lumped in to the 'British Isles' map.

Or on the 'Europe' map where certain areas are highlighted over others, like Belgium over the Netherlands. No one is out to get Ireland, or the Netherlands, the naming conventions were chosen mostly for clarity and ease of use.

--Andy

so,you mean that the maps in conquer club are imaginary and they dont represent the real borders and countries names? :?
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 pm

No, what we're trying to say is that the maps on ConquerClub can represent the countries, but if they represent a real country they certainly are NOT an official source and they are NOT published on a site that represents an official political or legislative source of any kind. I understand your thoughts, but I want to remind you that this is only a game site. Probably the best one on the web, but it's just a game site. ;)

Reread what MrBenn wrote,it is a very comprehensive post.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:No, what we're trying to say is that the maps on ConquerClub can represent the countries, but if they represent a real country they certainly are NOT an official source and they are NOT published on a site that represents an official political or legislative source of any kind. I understand your thoughts, but I want to remind you that this is only a game site. Probably the best one on the web, but it's just a game site. ;)

Reread what MrBenn wrote,it is a very comprehensive post.

i agree with you that the site is not an official source and its just a game.

but the damage in the Macedonian issue had been done from simple everyday uses of the Macedonian name to describe FYROM ...the result of this continuous mistake had passed to many people worldwide the belief that fyrom's name is macedonia.

AndyDufresne says "the naming conventions were chosen mostly for clarity and ease of use." ...is it clarity and ease of use the use of incorrect names?thats what i am talking about above,when i say
"the result of this continuous mistake had passed to many people worldwide the belief that fyrom's name is macedonia"
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate... but isn't the FYROM within the boundaries of several historic forms of Macedonia? Notably the one I linked above, the Romans? I know they're a different ethnic and language group, but they're still within the same land territory that is traditionally Macedonia.

It's like how I'm an Ohioan but I'm not Iroquois...
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Forgive me for playing devil's advocate... but isn't the FYROM within the boundaries of several historic forms of Macedonia? Notably the one I linked above, the Romans? I know they're a different ethnic and language group, but they're still within the same land territory that is traditionally Macedonia.

It's like how I'm an Ohioan but I'm not Iroquois...

there is a very small part of the ancient macedonia in fyrom,the rest is in greece.
skopjans (fyrom) say that macedonians were slavs and they are their descendants to claim greek territories.

just by saying that ancient macedonians were slavs,they insult greece
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby Falkomagno on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:48 am

Really interesting issue. I didnt have a clue about this before. Specially remarkable how, from an outsider point of view, an irrelevant matter as a name can have deep connotations in several levels for the direct shareholders. I actually understand the Greek position, even if for me the name Macedonia it means first the country, and then the historical greek region. The flag thing is interesting as well

Btw, natty is a big douche
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 am

Ancient Macedonia, so I've read, totally fits within the modern Greek borders. Alexander and Philip, ect all have nothing to do with where the current Macedonia is located... but then the Romans came in and labeled Macedon, Thrace and most of south yugoslavia as the Macedonian area. Now the term Macedonia covers an area the same size of the roman province. To me, it seems, the label just grew in terms of what it encompassed over time and that is pretty normal. I dunno, I'm not Greek so it's not an issue I deal with.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 am

but the damage in the Macedonian issue had been done from simple everyday uses of the Macedonian name to describe FYROM ...the result of this continuous mistake had passed to many people worldwide the belief that fyrom's name is macedonia.

F.Y.R.O.M=Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

hmm... just looks like a longer way to say Macedonia to me :-k

It's like, I know that he's "the Artist formerly known as Price" but I still just call him Prince.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 pm

The Bison King wrote:

It's like, I know that he's "the Artist formerly known as Price" but I still just call him Prince.

in greek we call that country skopje.
the use of the name fyrom aims to the definition of the roots of that country to prevent any future claim of greek territory and to preserve our history.
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Do you guys consider fyrom as part of the geographical region of Greece?
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm

oneEyedOldMan, it is interetsing that you have only 13 posts in the site. and all here about "problem" with Macedonia. why you did not wrote also something in other topics? something positive, something what can helps (maybe create Greek map where will be Greek´s Macedonia region)?

while the creator of map is from Macedonia (Republic of Macedonia) and he calls his country Macedonia why he must call it another?

if somebody does map about Greece and called it Greece will you also roar because it is not Hellenic Republic?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby jefjef on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:26 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:
The Bison King wrote:

in greek we call that country skopje.
the use of the name fyrom aims to the definition of the roots of that country to prevent any future claim of greek territory and to preserve our history.

I thought as most of the world thinks that Skopje (respectfully capitalized) is a city within the historic and recognized Macedonia region.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Do you guys consider fyrom as part of the geographical region of Greece?

no,they have no connection with greece and we have no claims of land...they are a mix of yougoslavian-bulgarian-albanian people who were baptised macedonian for the plans of Tito and Stalin who thought they could detach Macedonia from greece.
but thats a big discussion ;)

Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Do you guys consider fyrom as part of the geographical region of Greece?

no,they have no connection with greece and we have no claims of land...they are a mix of yougoslavian-bulgarian-albanian people who were baptised macedonian for the plans of Tito and Stalin who thought they could detach Macedonia from greece.
but thats a big discussion ;)

That's ok, I like big discussions.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Ok, let me take off my blue shoes for this post and share some personal thoughts....

Rarely i found myself to talk about something related with politics or similar, specially on the web, and probably i'll regret having written this post, but i want just throw some inputs on wich, if you want, you could think.

As a foreigner, probably I can't perceive the problem in the same way and I have respect for both the parts, they seems to me are trying, one to defend its historical roots, the other to find its historical identity. This is something bigger than me, you and everyone of those read, write and play on this site. Afterall we have politicians exactly for a reason.
What I'd like to see is more people trying to think going over political limits, trying to find the common points instead of differences, afterall the world is a single big machine. Everything started from the same place and in the same moment, and everything is going to the same arrival, just there isn't a single way.

This is interesting from a certain point of view:

Ἡρόδοτος wrote:Ἕλληνας δὲ εἶναι τούτους τοὺς ἀπὸ Περδίκκεω γεγονότας, κατά περ αὐτοὶ λέγουσι, αὐτός τε οὕτω τυγχάνω ἐπιστάμενος καὶ δὴ καὶ ἐν τοῖσι ὄπισθε λόγοισι ἀποδέξω ὡς εἰσὶ Ἕλληνες, πρὸς δὲ καὶ οἱ τὸν ἐν Ὀλυμπίῃ διέποντες ἀγῶνα Ἑλληνοδίκαι οὕτω ἔγνωσαν εἶναι. Ἀλεξάνδρου γὰρ ἀεθλεύειν ἑλομένου καὶ καταβάντος ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸ τοῦτο, οἱ ἀντιθευσόμενοι Ἑλλήνων ἐξεῖργόν μιν, φάμενοι οὐ βαρβάρων ἀγωνιστέων εἶναι τὸν ἀγῶνα ἀλλὰ Ἑλλήνων: Ἀλέξανδρος δὲ ἐπειδὴ ἀπέδεξε ὡς εἴη Ἀργεῖος, ἐκρίθη τε εἶναι Ἕλλην καὶ ἀγωνιζόμενος στάδιον συνεξέπιπτε τῷ πρώτῳ.

show: English translation

I don't know if it's clear what i'm trying to say to you, sometimes my mind is tricky...;)
Anyway, if it makes you happy I well know what Republic of Macedonia, Ancient Macedonia and Macedonia are.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby kufalas on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm

that's cool . thanks for your post
Cook kufalas

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions