Conquer Club

You Can Contribute to the Tournament Handbook

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

You Can Contribute to the Tournament Handbook

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Updating the Tournament Handbook

The Tournament Handbook is the go-to guide for all things related to CC Tournaments. It is a vital source for players, organizers, and directors as it contains our policies, procedures, and helpful guides. The handbook has had two editions, but it's beyond time for a third edition. We've had some huge changes this year in adding the Tournament Database and the update of the Abandoned/Rescued Tournaments. We Directors have been able to make some tweaks to the Handbook, but we have not had the time to do a full compilation and rewrite of sections that are needing attention.

We Directors are looking for a few community members to help us compile the next edition of the Tournament Handbook. Not only should it allow the rewrite to occur faster, but we also hope some fresh eyes will provide clarity to some sections and think of some things that we Directors have missed, especially in the Tools and Tips section. This project is not a chance to make new policies; it's meant to be a compilation project.

We are looking for anyone who is active in the tournament forums as a player, an organizer, or both to aid in this project. If you would like to help out, please post in this thread your desire as well as a statement about why you feel that you will be beneficial to this project. PM applications will not be accepted.

If you're still not sure you want to help out, anyone who makes a significant contribution to the rewrite will receive a General Contribution Medal. Thanks in advance to everyone who chooses to help out.

~Night Strike
Tournament Commissioner
Major Night Strike

Re: You Can Contribute to the Tournament Handbook

Postby JoshyBoy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Great opportunity for everyone, even I might have a go. Maybe add a link to the current handbook?
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby psychobkrazy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I would love to help out.
PM me with "Tournament Invite List" in the Subject to get on my Invite List.
Highest Rank: 3070 Image Brigadier - #70 (page 1) - 61% Won - 01/02/2011
The Sigatar Lounge
Sergeant 1st Class psychobkrazy

Postby jricart on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Im interested to help out on this project!

JRT
Lieutenant jricart

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I would love to help! I am fairly active in the tournament forum, I've played or am playing about 6 tourneys and have organized 3 tournaments as well (1 complete, 2 in progress). I'm also pretty good at spotting things and clarifying well, I've had practice in the Foundry :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby InnyaFacce on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 pm

I would be interested in helping with the New Tournament Handbook

I feel that with hosting Past & Current Tournaments
I would have some valuable input that could be beneficial to the Handbook

Hope I can be of service in some form

InnyaFacce
Last edited by InnyaFacce on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAS SCHLOß DOUBLES F/S 222 FROM 225 [99%] BEST WINNING STREAK 92-0
Brigadier InnyaFacce

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I would very much like to help out, this seems like a great opportunity for TO's and Players to "write the handbook" in a way that would seem user friendly to those who are new TO's as well as new players. I look forward to the new edit (: . Let me know if I can help.
Sergeant 1st Class ChewyBlu3y

Postby ad10r3tr0 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:13 pm

nobody asked for you resume' victor, haha. he simply asked if you could help lol not what tournaments you are running or have done...
Cook ad10r3tr0

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm

ad10r3tr0 wrote:nobody asked for you resume' victor, haha. he simply asked if you could help lol not what tournaments you are running or have done...

Yes I did.......

If you would like to help out, please post in this thread your desire as well as a statement about why you feel that you will be beneficial to this project.

:lol: :lol:
Major Night Strike

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 am

i can help out

i am not great at writing things but i am exceptional at proof reading other's drafts
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Lindax on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:i can help out

i am not great at writing things but i am exceptional at proof reading other's drafts

Haha, exceptional could be positive or negative! I guess that proves your first point.... ;)

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Leehar on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I'd like to volunteer with assisting in this project.
I've always consider myself a fairly active tournaments player, as a high percentage of my games are always part of Tournaments - In fact only 3 of my 45 games currently are not (and my normal game count used to be double it - so while I may not have yet organized any tourneys, I feel I'm very familiar with the Tournaments arena.
Additionally, I have oft been led to believe that I can occasionally provide a different perspective (though perhaps mistakenly) while even being able to identify simple things like spelling and grammatical errors at an irritating level.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby WorldCup4James on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm

I am interested in contributing; I've organized only 3 tournaments since joining CC (although one was fairly large with 120 players, and I have three active ones), but they all have near-perfect grammar and spelling, and the rules are all generally well-organized. As a result, I would be more than happy to assist in the "boring" stuff (checking grammar, spelling, things like that).
Thanks,
James
Last edited by WorldCup4James on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FOUR openings in A Chance to Write History: WWIII. All premium players accepted; help me fill these vacancies! :)
Sergeant 1st Class WorldCup4James

Postby dowian2 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm

I'd be willing to help out.

Qualifications:
Many tourneys played, 35 tourneys won.
13 tourneys completed, 5 active, 5 rescued.
Major dowian2

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 am

I have added some people for now and will consider adding more later if necessary. If you're still interested in joining, please go ahead and post as I have a reserve list if more members are needed for any reason.
Major Night Strike

Postby HighlanderAttack on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 am

I can always help out with any negative criticism
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 am

I would be very interested in helping out with this. While I have only organized a small number of tournaments, those tournaments have been very large ones. And of course, I play in a vast number of tournaments...it's almost all I do anymore. As well, I have a lot of experience in writing manuals, both technical and educational, and have been told that I'm pretty good at wording things in a manner that is easy to read and understand.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Lalloq on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 am

I would be pleased to translate it in french.
I can translate others documents too, if you need it

++
Captain Lalloq

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 am

If you need a yes man who will tell you all just how well you are doing and to keep up the good work then count me in!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Qwert on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 am

well,i will help to create better tournament minimum requirements for runing tournaments.
Well where its an old tournament handbook?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Night Strike on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 am

qwert wrote:well,i will help to create better tournament minimum requirements for runing tournaments.
Well where its an old tournament handbook?

Updating the minimum requirements is not part of this project.
Major Night Strike

Postby Qwert on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:08 pm

OK, someone try to make me stupid.
In Topic you tell me "look on tournament handbook" And i only find these topic, so where the hell its Tournament handbook!!
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Lindax on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:00 pm

qwert wrote:OK, someone try to make me stupid.
In Topic you tell me "look on tournament handbook" And i only find these topic, so where the hell its Tournament handbook!!

[Official] Conquer Club Tournament Handbook

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby DaveH on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 am

Hi - Having started a few tournaments I could not find out much very about the various systems that organisers use to set up and manage their tournaments.

Therefore I thought I'd make a few notes which may be helpful (or not) for others - and would also encourage responses from guys with far more experience and knowledge.

Having done that I wondered if this or another thread would be the forum - obviously I would be happy to assist in the handbook, but it may be that a separate thread to allow additional comments and suggestions may be better?

The following is a few notes I drafted so far:-

Managing Tournaments – Excel Macros

As someone new to setting up tournaments, I thought that it might be useful to publish some of the techniques I have found to manage the publication of setting them up and keeping them updated. Of course I know I am reinventing the wheel, as many of you have been setting up and running tournaments for years, so any and all comments and suggestions in this forum that I can also learn from would hopefully encourage others to set up a their own tournaments and possibly spark ideas for new tournaments.

I use Excel for keeping track of games, but my first challenge was getting to grips with the CC coding. The [Official] Conquer Club Tournament Handbook is an excellent guide and you can use the coding directly or, as I do, via macros in Excel.

For instance, game invitations appear as “View Game 8918488 (Auto-Join Game)” for which the coding is “View Game 1234567 (Auto-Join Game)” where 1234567 is the game number and Password is the password.

In Excel, the coding to get this is:
="[to]"&A12&" "&B$4&"[/to]" where A12 holds the game number and B4 the password. In this way you can keep lists of the opponents and game numbers and a list of the coding which can then be copied and pasted into pm’s to the various contestants. This makes multiple invitations by pm far easier!

In the game thread, I write it so that the game information appears as “Game 1234567 Dave vs DaveH” and, when the game is over, the result is shown as “Game 1234567 Dave vs DaveH (or with the first player’s name crossed out of course!).

In CC coding this is Game 8918488 Dave vs DaveH and then Game 8918488 Dave vs DaveH
(or Game 8918488 Dave vs DaveH depending on the result)

Arranged in Excel such as:
A B C D E
1 Player 1 Player 2 Game Number Winner
2 Dave DaveH 1234567

The conditional statement in Excel that is copied to 2E is then:
=IF(D2="","[game]"&C2&"[/game] "&A2&" vs "&B2,IF(D2=A2, "[game]"&C2&"[/game] "&A2&" vs "&B2&"", "[game]"&C2&"[/game] "&A2&" vs "&B2))

This allows a complete list of results to be quickly copied and pasted into the main thread.
However I’m sure you experienced guys out there have far better systems!
Corporal DaveH

Postby DaveH on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:48 am

In my previous response, of course the coding in my notes was translated from the Word version, so it does not show the actual Excel phrases required. I'm sure that there is a way around this other than sending in the Word version -though...
Corporal DaveH

Next

Return to Tournament Archives