Conquer Club

Philadelphia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Philadelphia - draft updated 12/31 pg 5

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:06 am

This is is ready for gameplay for sure.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't like that the two northeast bonuses together only have one and a half borders with the rest of the map. Not sure what's the best way to fix that, though.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby DAAAAAAANG on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Now that Jersey is gone you don't need the bridges. You need the South St. bridge or something to connect center city with university city. Port Richmond should maybe also connect to Bridesburg. Also, might want to call "Northern Liberties" bonus "North Philly" instead. I think the graphics are OK. This map is definitely going to need that underdog bonus to give it a unique quality though.
Major DAAAAAAANG

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Yes, I agree with you Red, Just Philly is best. It gives you a place to put the legends. Although, I would change the color of the text in the legend to something different than the rest. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 am

There's a number of ways to go, adding in a few connections will alter bonus values. They're kinda subjective at the moment.

I could do:
SW Philly + South Philly into a larger South Philly Bonus with an additional connection from University City to the Art Museum
Just add the connection between University City and the Art Museum
The Great Northeast + Northern Liberties = a larger Great Northeast bonus with an additional connection from Bridesburg to Port Richmond
Just add the connection between Bridesburg and Port Richmond

Or any combination of these.

FrancisBoyle wrote:Now that Jersey is gone you don't need the bridges. You need the South St. bridge or something to connect center city with university city. Port Richmond should maybe also connect to Bridesburg. Also, might want to call "Northern Liberties" bonus "North Philly" instead. I think the graphics are OK. This map is definitely going to need that underdog bonus to give it a unique quality though.

Remember, the bridges are a bonus too now, and connect though a killer neutral. (New Jersey tolls) Weirdly this is actually true on 3 of the 4 bridges, the tolls are only paid from the Jersey side heading into Philly, NOT from Philly into Jersey.

Alright, I'll work on ironing out the underdog bonus structure.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Remember, the bridges are a bonus too now, and connect though a killer neutral. (New Jersey tolls) Weirdly this is actually true on 3 of the 4 bridges, the tolls are only paid from the Jersey side heading into Philly, NOT from Philly into Jersey.

New Jersey, they got you coming and going! :lol: Looking good no real comments right now.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:Remember, the bridges are a bonus too now, and connect though a killer neutral. (New Jersey tolls) Weirdly this is actually true on 3 of the 4 bridges, the tolls are only paid from the Jersey side heading into Philly, NOT from Philly into Jersey.

New Jersey, they got you coming and going! :lol: Looking good no real comments right now.

Not coming and going, just going.... Delaware River Port Authority. :roll: That's why a lot people always try and use the Tacony-Palmayra Bridge if up that way, it isn't owned by the DRPA. The toll is just $2, compared to the $4 for the other 3 bridges. Only drawback (no pun intended) is that the Tacony-Palmayra Bridge is a a bascule bridge... Get caught over there when the bridge is up, and you'll wish you went down to the Betsy Ross and paid the extra 2 bucks.

I'm working here and thereon the map, I'll give ya'll an update soon enough. ;)
ImageImage

Postby Z-Rambo on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

My only question is: Why have the Bridge bonus, if there are no connected territories with them and they revert to a 4 neutral? No New Jersey would make that bonus useless since it reverts to 4 neutral every turn. I recommend adding New Jersey in 4 segments.....Mount Holly(North), Cherry Hill(North-Central), Camden(South Central), and Vineland(South), thus giving a reason for the bridge use and giving 4 more territories not taking from Philadelphia.
Private 1st Class Z-Rambo

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am

It doesn't work like that. The Spot in New Jersey is the toll booth... I should think about putting a toll booth graphic there. The bridges connect to the tolls, and the toll booth connects to the bridges. Only the toll is a killer neutral. You can theoretically attack from Tacony down to Penn's Landing via the bridges and the toll booth going through just 5 territories.

I've been playing with some things here tonight, but I need to get some sleep, I'll have some time tomorrow too, and horefully will throw out some numbers to look at, and maybe an update as well.
ImageImage

Postby Z-Rambo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Here's an idea. Instead of tolls, make New Jersey the connector for all the bridges and either have New Jersey as a reverting 10 neutral or make each bridge a reverting 4 neutral while adding New Jersey as an extra territory in whole with a minus 1 troop each round held(Call it the New Jersey Tax).
Private 1st Class Z-Rambo

Postby carlpgoodrich on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 am

I like it. NJ can be convenient for getting around, but no one wants to stay there :) -1 per round for holding the NJ territory, which connects the bridges, works well both from a gameplay and a humor standpoint, haha.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:25 pm

hahaha love it, I 'll throw up(no pun intended) what I got in a bit.... hopefully. Been busy, and now sick with the flu. Math is difficult right now.
ImageImage

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:hahaha love it, I 'll throw up(no pun intended) what I got in a bit.... hopefully. Been busy, and now sick with the flu. Math is difficult right now.

First me, then MarshalNey, then you! Lol... No, being sick sucks...

The Jersey idea sounds good to me, too. Can't wait to see the update!

-Sully

P.S. Let me know if you need help on your math homework ;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Joodoo on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 am

Sorry if I'm visually impaired, but for some reason I don't see a "Toll" territory on the map?
Great map btw.
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby DAAAAAAANG on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I really like the idea of attacking the other bridges through an NJ territ. Maybe just have one territory called "South Jersey" and have it be a small neutral that resets to neutral after you attack through it to get to another bridge. This way you could just have a toll territory on the bridges, instead of 2 for bridge and toll. Hmmm, not actually sure if that's better or not, but it's an idea.
Major DAAAAAAANG

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:51 pm

The NJ tolls will be easier to see when I finally get the update up there. I promise tonight I get an update up, plus some number crunching. I still need to check the drop analysis, and look at the affect the underdog bonus has on a few things, mainly on team games. I gotta get something up though, I know I'm going on 3 weeks with little to no movement....
ImageImage

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:The NJ tolls will be easier to see when I finally get the update up there. I promise tonight I get an update up, plus some number crunching. I still need to check the drop analysis, and look at the affect the underdog bonus has on a few things, mainly on team games. I gotta get something up though, I know I'm going on 3 weeks with little to no movement....

The clock ticks... And tocks. But it hurts the clock to tock, so it mostly ticks. Anyways, it's 9pm and you sah, have no map... :(

**Sully waits in antici.........

........pation**
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Philadelphia - updated 1/22 pg 6

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:23 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

NOTE: Northern Liberties actually works out to be about 4.6. The number of continent neighbors is 3, not 6.

Click image to enlarge.

Here's some numbers and odds of dropping bonuses at the start. The thing that concerns me the most is the 3 territory bonus of South Philly being about a 1 in 10 chance of starting with that bonus. I might think of putting a starting neutral in there, or adding a 4th territory for that bonus. I'm also kinda thinking that I might code all the bridges as starting positions to prevent that bonus from coming up on the start as well.

I've adjusted the bonus values as it came out on the bonus calculator, more or less.

Gameplay changes:
University City connects to Rittenhouse Square, and is a larger territory that connect also to Fairmount Park.
Juniata is now a part of Northern Liberties to give a better chance at protecting that bonus.
I know I still have to explain in the legend about the underdog bonus, but I'm liking these numbers, not too high to be abused, and enough to possibly give you a shot if it is getting bad. Team games are going to be the main draw here, especially quads games. I could even see teams pushing a teammate down below 2 or 3 territories for the extra armies, and then protecting that player's last couple, or 1 territory.

Right now I know the sign for the NJ tolls is much flashier than the title, but I have plans for the title, it's graphical so I'm not overly worried about it right now.
ImageImage

Re: Philadelphia - updated 1/22 pg 7

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:48 am

Cool! But what happened to the the NJ territory with a -1 bonus as a replacement to the tolls? What this shot down and I missed it?
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I must have missed that. Hmmm, it's an interesting concept, but the bridges leading to Jersey really lend themselves to having a "toll." Which I feel is best represented by a killer neutral. Having New Jersey be a negative bonus or a decay type territory is worth discussing, and does somewhat fit, I mean it's New Jersey... :lol: For now though I'm definitely leaning towards how this is at the moment.
ImageImage

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Looks fine to me. I prefer the killer neutral to the auto-decay, myself.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Looks fine to me. I prefer the killer neutral to the auto-decay, myself.

The suggestion wasn't for an autodecay, it was for a negative bonus. The idea being that if you use NJ to get the bridge bonus, then it won't be worth as much. Also, if you want to use NJ as an easy mode of transportation (why else would anyone go to NJ?) you will pay a price.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Looks fine to me. I prefer the killer neutral to the auto-decay, myself.

The suggestion wasn't for an autodecay, it was for a negative bonus. The idea being that if you use NJ to get the bridge bonus, then it won't be worth as much. Also, if you want to use NJ as an easy mode of transportation (why else would anyone go to NJ?) you will pay a price.

And it is there with a killer neutral. You goto Jersey to visit, not to stay. It might be getting a little over complicated if I do something like, -1, -2, -3, -4 for each bridge owned plus the toll. Which would negate the bridge bonus completely. I really think this works as a killer neutral best. It's a path you HAVE to go though, you can't just stay and build up. It's a short cut for sure, from Tacony to Penn's Landing it's 5 territories instead of the 8 or 9 you'd have to go though going around through gigantic chunks of board space. If you get stuck in Jersey, poof, bye-bye armies.
ImageImage

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 am

RedBaron0 wrote:If you get stuck in Jersey, poof, bye-bye wallet.

Okay this is fixed! :lol: But seriously, having the NJ toll is a great idea and should not be scraped.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:09 am

isaiah40 wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:If you get stuck in Jersey, poof, bye-bye wallet.

Okay this is fixed! :lol: But seriously, having the NJ toll is a great idea and should not be scraped.

That'd be true if I was working on a Atlantic City map. :lol: ;)

The idea will be staying, its just exactly how it might be represented on the map that is up for debate ATM. (killer neutral, decay, negative bonus) Where right now the killer neutral is my preference.
ImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas