Conquer Club

Tournaments Should Be Created With A Pot of Points

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Tournaments Should Be Created With A Pot of Points

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm

(Changed suggestion based on Uncle Death's proposal)

Concise description:
  • Tournaments should be created with each entrant providing a specified number of their points up front at risk

Specifics/Details:
  • Once a tournament is given tournament privileges, all entrants into the tournament put the given number of points (whatever it may be) into the pot, to be awarded to the winner.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Would provide a tangible reward for tournaments, the majority of which have no actual prize for the winner. This would seem to make tournaments a highly prized asset, and the competition level would undoubtedly increase tremendously.
Last edited by Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Re: Tournaments Should Be Unrated Games

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 am

i don't like this

your score is a reflection of your overall ability & skill, regardless of whether it is obtained in non-tournament or tournament games

all games count, no exceptions
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 am

This is a bad idea. There are a lot of people who almost exclusively play only tournament games (like myself), so there would be no way to indicate what their true score is.
Major Night Strike

Postby Bones2484 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 am

Night Strike wrote:This is a bad idea. There are a lot of people who almost exclusively play only tournament games (like myself), so there would be no way to indicate what their true score is.

Ditto everything here.

In my opinion, playing in a variety of tournaments is the BEST indicator of skill. Take a look at how far Blitz crashed (down around 1500-2000) back when he was playing non-farming tournaments.
Major Bones2484

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Your points are legitimate, I won't argue that. But it's unfortunate that it has such a negative impact on the activity within the tournaments themselves.

I can just see how great the Tournaments would become if this were the case.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby IcePack on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 pm

greenoaks wrote:i don't like this

your score is a reflection of your overall ability & skill, regardless of whether it is obtained in non-tournament or tournament games

x2

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby phantomzero on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 pm

While I don't think this should be passes, there are problems when hats and up enter terminator tournaments or open games for that matter. It was even like that in the Battle Royale games, the hats were targeted.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby Uncle Death on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 pm

What if in a tournament each player put up a certain amount of fixed points and rather than points being gained or lost for each game. Not until a player was eliminated or won would points be taken or awarded. It would be just like a poker tournament. If the organizer wanted to 2nd and 3rd place players could be rewarded as well. That might solve all issues related to point discrepancies between low and high ranked players.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Uncle Death wrote:What if in a tournament each player put up a certain amount of fixed points and rather than points being gained or lost for each game. Not until a player was eliminated or won would points be taken or awarded. It would be just like a poker tournament. If the organizer wanted to 2nd and 3rd place players could be rewarded as well. That might solve all issues related to point discrepancies between low and high ranked players.

That is a very interesting thought. Would give an actual prize to the winner of the non-premium tournaments (which obviously are the majority). I like it.

Postby Uncle Death on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Rethinking it a bit, I think we would have to put the points in up front. When you enter 100 points get deducted and go in to the pot. This could make tournaments the most popular games to get in to.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby redhawk92 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Uncle Death wrote:Rethinking it a bit, I think we would have to put the points in up front. When you enter 100 points get deducted and go in to the pot. This could make tournaments the most popular games to get in to.

amazing idea here
Captain redhawk92

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Putting points into a pot would be virtually impossible without an automated tournament system that everyone had access to because it would be WAY too much work to do for every tournament with just the Directors.
Major Night Strike

Postby Uncle Death on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Night Strike wrote:Putting points into a pot would be virtually impossible without an automated tournament system that everyone had access to because it would be WAY too much work to do for every tournament with just the Directors.

It would require programming for sure. I can't imagine it not being automated. The question is can they do it and is it a good idea or not.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Night Strike wrote:Putting points into a pot would be virtually impossible without an automated tournament system that everyone had access to because it would be WAY too much work to do for every tournament with just the Directors.

Absolutely, I would presume something like this would have to be automated. I agree.

Uncle Death wrote:

It would require programming for sure. I can't imagine it not being automated. The question is can they do it and is it a good idea or not.

It seems pretty obvious they could do something like this. I'm not sure how easily, of course.

Potential downsides I can see:
1. Things would have to be set up so that tournament organizers could not screw over a non-tournament participator...in other words, how does the system know who has signed up for the tournament and who has not?

2. There would have to be a rule in place regarding a maximum number of points the tournament "point entry fee" could be set at, so as to avoid "high point only tournaments", which would violate the open-entry rule.

Re: Tournaments Should Be Created With A Pot of Points

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 pm

what a load of ....

the new suggestion should have gotten its own thread, not hijacked this one
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm

greenoaks wrote:what a load of ....

Why? The original thread was quite quickly shot down with legitimate disagreements. It was not going to be approved, and rightly so. So why should I, as the thread originator, not alter my own suggestion?

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Woodruff wrote:

Why? The original thread was quite quickly shot down with legitimate disagreements. It was not going to be approved, and rightly so. So why should I, as the thread originator, not alter my own suggestion?

you didn't alter your suggestion

you replaced it with a totally different one
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby squishyg on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 pm

I agree with Woody, the idea evolved into something different, which many ideas do. No need to clog up the forum by starting a new topic. I think it's helpful to have the old idea present so we can see why people didn't like it. It may help the conversation from going in circles.

Anyhow, I love the idea of a points wager! Perhaps one could be done as a special event, which could warrant the extra work on the tournament team's plate.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Evil Semp on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 pm

greenoaks wrote:i don't like this

Night Strike wrote:This is a bad idea. There are a lot of people who almost exclusively play only tournament games (like myself), so there would be no way to indicate what their true score is.

Bones2484 wrote:Ditto everything here.
In my opinion, playing in a variety of tournaments is the BEST indicator of skill. Take a look at how far Blitz crashed (down around 1500-2000) back when he was playing non-farming tournaments.

All three say that this wouldn't be a true indicator of skill, but we all choose the games, oponents and tourneys that we play, so in reality is the point system a true indicator of your skill?

phantomzero wrote:While I don't think this should be passes, there are problems when hats and up enter terminator tournaments or open games for that matter. It was even like that in the Battle Royale games, the hats were targeted.

Couldn't the same be said about hats up targeting lower ranked players to protect their points?

I like woodys idea. A set amount of points for entering a tourney might bring in some of the higher ranked that don't play in tourneys because they are trying to protect their score.
Lieutenant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 pm

greenoaks wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

you didn't alter your suggestion

I didn't? Then who did?

greenoaks wrote:you replaced it with a totally different one

Grab a dictionary.

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 pm

Evil Semp wrote:I like woodys idea. A set amount of points for entering a tourney might bring in some of the higher ranked that don't play in tourneys because they are trying to protect their score.

Uncle Death's idea, but thank you. I just happen to be the channel he used.

Postby Uncle Death on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:25 am

I disagree, Woodruff simply liked my idea and it expanded his own efforts. I am flattered. I think most players would agree with this suggestion. It was Woodruff's original suggestion that got me thinking about this. Please consider it on the ideas merits.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby Night Strike on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 am

Bah, you should have made a new post saying you updated the first post because now it seems like all those posts on the first page are rejecting your new suggestion. Granted, I'm not a major fan of this idea, but I'm not heavily opposed to it like the original idea.
Major Night Strike

Postby Bones2484 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 am

I like this new idea. I dont know how possible it would be, but I think it's pretty cool.
Major Bones2484

Postby LFAW on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:53 am

I like this idea :) x
Colonel LFAW

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions