Conquer Club

Golfe du St-Laurent: Tisha Wins!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Golfe du St-Laurent [GFX Contest]

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:54 pm

keiths31 wrote:What spelling mistakes? Keep in mind that the terts used the French spelling.

Dept-Rivieres should be Sept-Rivieres for 7 Rivers and Chalivoix should be Charlivoix. Also on a couple the accented 'e' is wrong. i.e. ChaudiĆØre is the correct spelling and accented 'e'. On the current map the accent over the e is going in the opposite direction. I forget the reason why it is important, but it is.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:39 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
keiths31 wrote:What spelling mistakes? Keep in mind that the terts used the French spelling.

Dept-Rivieres should be Sept-Rivieres for 7 Rivers and Chalivoix should be Charlivoix. Also on a couple the accented 'e' is wrong. i.e. ChaudiĆØre is the correct spelling and accented 'e'. On the current map the accent over the e is going in the opposite direction. I forget the reason why it is important, but it is.

I think that names should be left alone at least until the contest is over then you can fix them. It would keep all the entries the same name wise at least. Makes for more fair voting?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:

I think that names should be left alone at least until the contest is over then you can fix them. It would keep all the entries the same name wise at least. Makes for more fair voting?

Yes I can do that.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:I think that names should be left alone at least until the contest is over then you can fix them. It would keep all the entries the same name wise at least. Makes for more fair voting?

"hmm, map A definitely looks 3 times better than all the rest put together, but map B has the right accent on the e so I'm going to vote B"...

Is this a likely scenario? ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:44 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:I think that names should be left alone at least until the contest is over then you can fix them. It would keep all the entries the same name wise at least. Makes for more fair voting?

"hmm, map A definitely looks 3 times better than all the rest put together, but map B has the right accent on the e so I'm going to vote B"...

Is this a likely scenario? ;)

YES. ACCENT MARKS MAKE ME HAPPY. My happiness leaves along with punctuation, natty. Commas, apostrophes, periods, the whole crew - I deeply care for them all...except for semicolons, they can go rot with Q and the underscore key in virtual hell for all I care.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Then I guess there is an expression in the Finnish language that fits you perfectly Victor... people who nitpick on lots of small things are said to be "comma fuckers" (roughly translated) - as in people who are unhealthily interested in punctuation marks.

I always thought this was just some kind of weird linguistic analogy but maybe not... well, I guess what you do in your bedroom is your own business... just don't let your wife catch you with a dictionary!

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 pm

natty_dread wrote:Then I guess there is an expression in the Finnish language that fits you perfectly Victor... people who nitpick on lots of small things are said to be "comma fuckers" (roughly translated) - as in people who are unhealthily interested in punctuation marks.

I always thought this was just some kind of weird linguistic analogy but maybe not... well, I guess what you do in your bedroom is your own business... just don't let your wife catch you with a dictionary!

That's kinda how the divorce came about, though it was with a Calculus textbook...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

For the game play to be as it was, Saint James needs to have it's border with Halifax chopped off.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:22 pm

You meant St John? The latest version in the old map thread has St John bordering Halifax:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Unit_2 wrote:For the game play to be as it was, Saint James needs to have it's border with Halifax chopped off.

So you are saying that Halifax only connects with Moncton?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 pm

I see that now, What I mean is that the game play is meant for Saint John to be only connected to Moncton and Fredericton. If all three are connected then the bonus needs to be increased. Get what I'm saying here?
Corporal Unit_2

Postby ender516 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 pm

The maps and XML posted on page 49 of the old topic show Halifax connected to Moncton and Saint John (and Cape Breton, P.E.I, and Evangeline Trail). It would probably be best to leave things as they are until this contest completes. With the new images, the thread presumably would return to the Final Forge, and the question of the connections and bonuses in that area could be hammered out.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Yeah they are, but the bonus is +2 with three borders. It was meant for +2 for 2 borders.
Corporal Unit_2

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 am

"All entries must be submitted by February 12th, 2011 CC Time: 2011-02-15 23:59:00

Entries will be shortlisted by the foundry staff and a vote of the best maps will commence within five days of deadline. All submissions will be anonymous until a clear winner has been determined. Please submit both large and small images via PM to, yours truly, Industrial Helix."

To clarify, some maps will not be allowed to the voting stage? I assume this is correct? Also how long will the vote last? A week or 2?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 am

Bruceswar wrote:To clarify, some maps will not be allowed to the voting stage? I assume this is correct? Also how long will the vote last? A week or 2?

I assume it just means that if they get a shitload of entries, they will crop out the worst ones.

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:To clarify, some maps will not be allowed to the voting stage? I assume this is correct? Also how long will the vote last? A week or 2?

I assume it just means that if they get a shitload of entries, they will crop out the worst ones.

That's what we've done in the past.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

Ah crap, I did not notice some of the names were spelled wrong... :( I'd say just write them as is and once a winner has been determined we'll make the necessary tweaks in the FF.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby ISN2 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am

Industrial Helix wrote:All entries must be submitted by February 12th, 2011 CC Time: 2011-02-15 23:59:00

How can I submit mine when finished? Should I post it here or PM it to yourself or something else?
Major ISN2

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Read a little further in the first post, and you will see that
Industrial Helix wrote:All entries must be submitted by February 12th, 2011 CC Time: 2011-02-15 23:59:00

Entries will be shortlisted by the foundry staff and a vote of the best maps will commence within five days of deadline. All submissions will be anonymous until a clear winner has been determined. Please submit both large and small images via PM to, yours truly, Industrial Helix.
(emphasis mine)

Postby ISN2 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

ender516 wrote:Read a little further in the first post, and you will see that

Entries will be shortlisted by the foundry staff and a vote of the best maps will commence within five days of deadline. All submissions will be anonymous until a clear winner has been determined. Please submit both large and small images via PM to, yours truly, Industrial Helix.
(emphasis mine)

Opse! Thanks, I exactly didn't see the bold part where you emphasised! :D 8-[
Major ISN2

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

ISN2 wrote:
ender516 wrote:Read a little further in the first post, and you will see that

(emphasis mine)

Opse! Thanks, I exactly didn't see the bold part where you emphasised! :D 8-[

To be honest, I had to reread it a bit to find it. It would have been easier for us post skimmers if that last sentence was right next to the first.

Postby ISN2 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Industrial Helix, Did you received the maps I sent you yesterday? I know you did read the PM but I asked in PM if it's possible to reply so I know you got it, but you didn't reply so I wanted to make sure you got them, thanks ...
Major ISN2

Postby Downey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 pm

I can't wait to see the maps that come out of this discussion. I wanted this to happen two years ago, or something very similar at least but alas I have no graphics talent. Good on you guys! :)
Private Downey

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:25 am

One more day for the deadline... actually I think anyone still working has until the end of tomorrow. I will do my best to get the entries up and voting going on Sunday.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Seems like the contest is closing in quick. I cannot wait to see what comes of this!
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions