Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Tokyo

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] Tokyo

Postby shakeycat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 am

Tokyo.

29 Suburban regions
26 Old Tokyo regions
31 Central Tokyo regions

13 parks, all start neutral.
9 landmarks, all start neutral. 2 are also Old Tokyo regions.

86 deployable regions in all, 20 neutral starts, 106 total.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

2 or 3 player games, 28 each, 2 neutral (9 troops)
4 player games, 21 each, 2 neutral (7 troops)
5 player games, 17 each, 1 neutral (5 troops)
6 player games, 14 each, 2 neutral (4 troops)
7 player games, 12 each, 2 neutral (4 troops)
8 player games, 10 each, 6 neutral (3 troops)

It seems that:
a deployment of 23 or more regions guarantees at least 3 bonuses (worst case scenario, 9, 9, 5 in the three population bonus areas)
a deployment of 18 or more regions guarantees at least 2 bonuses (9, 9, 0)
a deployment of 13 or more regions guarantees at least 1 bonus (4, 4, 5)

Please correct me if I'm wrong and explain why, because my numbers are different from yours! It changes slightly if my numbers are correct, since 6 player games will include 1 bonus per player. Once you've double-checked this I can put it in he first post.

Instead of adding more neutrals, I could break up 3-region territories using drops.

Player 1
Tabata (Kita)
Minami-senji Rail yard (Arakawa)
Kinegawa (Katsushika)
Mukojima (Sumida)
Koyama (Shinagawa)
Koenji (Nakano)

Player 2
Oji (Kita)
Ogu (Arakawa)
Yotsugi (Katsushika)
Azuma-bashi (Sumida)
Shinagawa Seaside (Shinagawa)
Kosei (Nakano)

Player 3
Takinogawa (Kita)
Nippori (Arakawa)
Takaramachi (Katsushika)
Honjo (Sumida)
Osaki (Shinagawa)
Arai (Nakano)
Last edited by shakeycat on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Re: Tokyo

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 am

I approve. Good work yes!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 am

Yes i like this, Tokyo! Well done
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 am

For now I just move this map to the drafting room, but i'll surely give you some more thoughts this evening ;)

[Moved]
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 am

This city definitely deserves a map...I'll take a look back in some days. For now, just throwing out my support.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MrBenn on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm

I like the cartoony style - I think the AnimƩ theme could work well (although I'd switch out for a much cleaner, modern font). Stylistically, I don;t know if you're wanting to reflect something like this: http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/welcome/index.html?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby shakeycat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:08 pm

The style is cartoony? I just thought it was simple. Huh.

The font - I'll try something else. Cleaner for sure. Might just use Albertus until I find it, my old standby.

Oddly enough, I've never even seen that map before! Even with all the map searching I've been doing over the past few weeks. But yes, that's exactly the idea. I want the map to have a bit of dimension. I wouldn't feel right having a bland, flat map in this case, especially if it's just full of confusing, foreign names.

And upon seeing that map .. hmm. I wonder. I forgot about some of these places.

And the train lines (even though you didn't mention them) - I have them on another layer - but I didn't think it needed them. It made things too cluttered and didn't really add to gameplay for me.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 pm

What is the gameplay structure of this? All I see is colorful divisions and a mildly baffling legend.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby shakeycat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:34 pm

It's a draft. Still working out best way to approach gameplay, as one sees from my rambling initial post. Legend is holding its place.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 pm

shakeycat wrote:It's a draft. Still working out best way to approach gameplay, as one sees from my rambling initial post. Legend is holding its place.

Alright, if you don't mind, then, I'll make some suggestions:

1. I see you've divided up bonus areas and included them in an over-arching category. My suggestion would be to have each bonus area have their respective own bonus, but have a +1 per bonus area in the same category - a sort of twist on superbonuses
  2. With the various landmarks/parks you could do auto-deploys (of at least 2), collective bonuses (as in, +X for Y landmarks), or assign each landmark/park a category and give a bonus for having landmarks in the same category.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I think that a bonus structure similar to the one MrBenn used with England could be the best option.
I was wondering where were rails, but you have already answered the question and honestly, even if it could be strange not to see rails on a Tokyo map, i mostly agree with you....i said mostly because a part of me think that you could try to add them using something different than the classic rail/subway on a CC map ... :-k
What is your current idea with Parks and landmarks? How they are supposed to work? or are they picked up randomly?

Postby shakeycat on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:33 am

Victor, I'm glad to receive suggestions!

1. First I thought the additional +1 for the second region bonus would be good, and certainly something different. But when I counted it up, it came out a little unfairly. Suburbs would get +1 for an average of 3 territories, while Central would get +1 for average 6 territories owned. Old Tokyo was in the middle, 4-5.

And the England style bonus, I like it, and it's a clear fit, especially with the three super-regions in both Tokyo and England. But I don't like how easy it is to sweep someone on that map, simply by going first and knocking out one or two territories in strategic points.

I'm not sure if parks and landmarks would change the sweeping aspect enough. Maybe the combination of them and the shape of the map would.

2. Parks, I'm cool with an autodeploy. It makes sense, with your armies there to refresh and hide. To have a +2 autodeploy, we'd probably have to start them neutral. What's normal here, neutral 7?

Landmarks, the collective bonus seems logical. One would return from Tokyo and have to show to family the photos from all the sites, right? They could be a random drop like Italy, similar bonus structure. Is Italy's drop controlled at all? It feels random, considering how often someone starts with +1 or even +2. With currently 8 landmarks, a bonus starting at +1 for 3 owned could work. The odds are slim that one would get all three in a protected bonus (Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, Thunder Gate would be inside a neutral barrier).
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby uptothemax on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 am

This is a good start. Tokyo defenitely deserves a map.

Some advice:
- Roppongi is famous for its copy of the Paris Eiffel tower.
- maybe you should incorporate some refenrce to the excellent subway system of Tokyo.
- the name Tokyo on the map should use the japanese one
- names should be all in romanji (Japanase Kanji written in the Latin alfabet)
- the name of the wards like Shibuya should be Shibuya ku

My 5 cts.

Uptothemax
Colonel uptothemax

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 am

shakeycat wrote:Victor, I'm glad to receive suggestions!

1. First I thought the additional +1 for the second region bonus would be good, and certainly something different. But when I counted it up, it came out a little unfairly. Suburbs would get +1 for an average of 3 territories, while Central would get +1 for average 6 territories owned. Old Tokyo was in the middle, 4-5.

Ah, true. But you can balance that out by saying Suburbs get additional +1 for each bonus area, Old Tokyo +2, and Central +3. Of course with these adjustments you might have to increase the bonus areas' values above the norm to balance things out. (If you decide to go through with this, my comments below would probably change, as it would have to reflect the adjustments, not the norm, if that makes sense.)

shakeycat wrote:2. Parks, I'm cool with an autodeploy. It makes sense, with your armies there to refresh and hide. To have a +2 autodeploy, we'd probably have to start them neutral. What's normal here, neutral 7?

With a +2 autodeploy, 3 or 4 neutral is reasonable. No one will go for it otherwise.

shakeycat wrote:Landmarks, the collective bonus seems logical. One would return from Tokyo and have to show to family the photos from all the sites, right? They could be a random drop like Italy, similar bonus structure. Is Italy's drop controlled at all? It feels random, considering how often someone starts with +1 or even +2. With currently 8 landmarks, a bonus starting at +1 for 3 owned could work. The odds are slim that one would get all three in a protected bonus (Imperial Palace, Meiji Shrine, Thunder Gate would be inside a neutral barrier).

You could even do something along the lines of +1 for 3 and +1 for each additional after three. Makes the landmarks a little more worth it, and it still largely avoids high percentage bonus drops.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby $nakeface on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm

just a few things i might add:

as far as rails go, at least a few of the lines would be cool, namely the yamanote loop and maybe the chuosen.

also, why didn't you include any of western tokyo? areas like chofu may not be included in the 23 wards, but they are still part of tokyo. and if you are trying to stay true to the wards, why are areas like nerima and itabashi unplayable?

oh and finally it's shinagawa, not shingawa. sorry to correct you if its just a typo ;)

good work tho! having lived there, i'm really looking forward to playing this map!
Cook $nakeface

Postby shakeycat on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 am

Yes - it's a typo, and I'll fix it.

I left out the west because I didn't see much of interest there. It looks like beyond Central and Old Tokyo, it's just a whole lot of suburbs with unfamiliar names - to the average CC user, who is likely not from Japan and would approach the city as a tourist. I figured it'd be better to focus on the heart, than to expand the map to a complete accurate portrayal of all of Tokyo, and leave the heart to a few token territories. It's why Ota is missing too - it simply didn't fit once I zoomed in, and didn't seem important.

I actually started drawing up Osaka a few years ago, but kept getting caught up in the suburbs and trying to fit more and more in. I had so many train lines heading to Kobe, Kyoto, and Nara, that the loop around that city's heart was tiny and insignificant.

Nerima and Itabashi aren't unplayable, I just coloured them grey for now because they perplex me. They should actually be green. I need a bonus scheme that accounts for the grey and green as a single group. Grey was probably a bad colour to choose, in this case.

Hopefully I can find some time soon to clear the map up a bit.
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 am

Still going with this one? Looks nice so far!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

I hope this map continues as well...
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby shakeycat on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am

Click image to enlarge.

Little by little ..

Not sure how exactly do show that Meiji Shrine, Thunder Gate, Asahi Beer Hall, Imperial Palace, etc. are within the park or territory. Put a circle in as in "this is territory within territory".
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:21 am

I think that the icons are big enough where you can fit the numbers right on them.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby shakeycat on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:51 pm

True. It's not like we typically get 88 or 888 troops ;)
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:20 pm

shakeycat wrote:Not sure how exactly do show that Meiji Shrine, Thunder Gate, Asahi Beer Hall, Imperial Palace, etc. are within the park or territory. Put a circle in as in "this is territory within territory".

They look like they are in the parks to me.

I think I see a little resemblance of your Puget Sound map in this :) The legend background color needs to be a little lighter I think. The maroon text on the left is a tad hard to read, and will probably not be able to read for our color blind folks.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I think I see a little resemblance of your Puget Sound map in this :)

Puget sound is tisha's ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

natty_dread wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:I think I see a little resemblance of your Puget Sound map in this :)

Puget sound is tisha's ;)

Well duh :oops: long day.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 am

Next

Return to Recycling Box