Conquer Club

Small World

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Small World

Postby grifftron on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:19 am

Once again, i really like this idea...

actually I was looking at apps today and found a free app called Lux USA, I made a quick video just to show how it looks and how it played, it was very simple to play, hoping lack could someday make something like that for CC, i know it would be a big job tho. Anyways check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMjIbBzdm-U

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

MrBenn wrote:(I'll get around to updating the first post when there are more than a couple of pages of posts)

Looks like you're almost there. An updated first post with a bonus continent breakdown might help community visitors to the thread, so I took the liberty of compiling the info.

Here's what I counted and took from your first post:
Total Regions: 34
Bonus Continents: 7
Antarctica
-- bonus: +2 (with -1 decay)
-- regions: 3
-- borders: 1
Australia
-- bonus: +2
-- regions: 4
-- borders: 2
South America
-- bonus: +2
-- regions: 4
-- borders: 3
North America
-- bonus: +3
-- regions: 5
Africa
-- bonus: +3
Europe
-- bonus: +4
-- borders: 4
Asia
-- bonus: +5
-- regions: 8
-- borders: 4

What strikes me here is that Asia might be slightly undervalued, and that the adaptation of the classic bonuses has made the long-standing discrepancy between the S.America and Aussie bonus more pronounced. S.America has 1 more border than Aussie yet has the same bonus, whereas Europe has 1 more border than N.America/Africa and has a +1 bonus.

A final concern was mentioned last page, that decay regions should probably start as neutral, and in this case I'd recommend all neutral 1's for Antarctica. That would reduce your total deployable regions to 31, which is 1 shy of a 'decent' number.

Oddly enough, although I wasn't in favor of Sully's idea to add a region just when the clarity of the small-small map was looking good... it would actually address most of my gameplay concerns. The +2 bonus for S. America and Aussie would be more balanced, and Antarctica could have all neutral 1's and the map would still have a decent number for the drop.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 pm

just throwing some ideas out there...

What about Philippines to Japan?

I don't feel like Sudan and Magreb are appropriate names for the areas they're representing. Use Nile for Sudan and W. Africa for Magreb? Maybe use Sahara?

Saudi implies the ruling party of Saudi Arabia. If the king were deposed, the proper name of the place would be Arabia. I suggest middle east because I can think of nothing better. Maybe Mesopotamia. Maybe greater Persia.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby ISN2 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:41 am

I would recommend changing the name of "Saudi Arabia" to "Middle East" as there are at least 16 countries in that area (Except African part of Middle East) and using the name of 1 country for all of them isn't right, putting the name of area is much more better, like "Central Europe" you used for middle of Europe, for your info:
http://www.mideastweb.org/countries.htm
Major ISN2

Postby grifftron on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 am

Just wondering what is going on with this idea, i would really like to see CC have some stuff on phones & apple stuff soon, i would be addicted to that sheesh! prob would like to make a mini map myself if this ever went thru

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 am

There'll be a loud uproar about the Alaska-Kamchatka connection being absent. I suggest moving Alaska a little East more, so that it doesn't look like it's going "around" the map.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:45 pm

I feel that Alaska is too prominent in all of the maps on conquer club. Does anyone even like that state anymore? No. It'll be the great American oil field in 10 years anyways. I say remove that territ, and make it into one "Great White North" or "America's Hat" territory. My only suggestion.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 am

MrBenn wrote:Ever since the original Classic Map was taken away from us, I have wanted to put Kamchatka back on the map.

Too bad you're late, I already did ;) (although mine is not a world map...)

Anyway, I think S.A. should have a +3 bonus. +2 doesn't quite seem worth it for 4 terts and 3 borders...

Alternatively, you could switch the Antarctica-Argentina connection to Brazil-Antarctica, reducing SA:s borders to 2. This way it really would be equal with Aus.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby iancanton on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 am

the trouble with showing antarctica is that the three big continents, which contain 90% of the developed world, are squashed into less than half of the visible area. 5 of the 6 normal continents are now of a similar size.

rather than force a previous model on to a 34-region map, why not try to tailor the gameplay to work specifically for the small size? u've cut down the number of regions, so a 5-continent world will let us have more strategic variety than a 7-continent one. to throw an idea into the ring, i suggest 30 regions split into 4 normal continents that focus mainly on the northern hemisphere where most cc players live (allowing us to cut off the bottom of the current map and stretch vertically the top half to make it less squashed), being americas, europe, asia and oceania, plus a single-region neutral-starting africa that decays by 1 each turn to represent famine (a rough equivalent of antarctica on ur map, but with a serious point to make)?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Hensow on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Middle east and Arabia can be used interchangeably so ether would do.
Private Hensow

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:48 pm

iancanton wrote:the trouble with showing antarctica is that the three big continents, which contain 90% of the developed world, are squashed into less than half of the visible area. 5 of the 6 normal continents are now of a similar size.

rather than force a previous model on to a 34-region map, why not try to tailor the gameplay to work specifically for the small size? u've cut down the number of regions, so a 5-continent world will let us have more strategic variety than a 7-continent one. to throw an idea into the ring, i suggest 30 regions split into 4 normal continents that focus mainly on the northern hemisphere where most cc players live (allowing us to cut off the bottom of the current map and stretch vertically the top half to make it less squashed), being americas, europe, asia and oceania, plus a single-region neutral-starting africa that decays by 1 each turn to represent famine (a rough equivalent of antarctica on ur map, but with a serious point to make)?

ian. :)

That's an interesting proposal, though Africa is the second-largest continent in the world... Kind of hard to ignore, though admittedly, it's not exactly the best continent to control militarily, with famine (like you said), and difficult nations that likely aren't capable of assisting one in his conquest. Certainly something to try-out.

Are you planning on continuing with this project, MrBenn? It has "benn" awhile...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby 40kguy on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm

can you make the map bigger?
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I played random map and this came up. I like to be able to see what's going on in exquisite detail, and some of those regions are quite close together from the perspective of a clickable-mapper, so you might consider making the large version a more standard size; just for my benefit, of course.
Then again, that really would detract from the point of this map. Otherwise, fantastic idea. I might have to get an android phone just to play this map.

As this is in the gameplay workshop after all, I'll just add that I'd probably increase all of those bonuses by 1 troop with the exception of NA, as you've got more borders per region than on the classic map by the looks of it (SA, Africa and Oceania are more difficult to hold with the inclusion of Antarctica, at any rate). I hope to see this moved onto the next workshop soon and the project continued with.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

So are most of the complaints about the size? If I'm going to make the map bigger, then I'll probably need to take this in a slightly different direction and up the territory count to make a bigger-than-classic-but-not-as-big-as-world-2.1 map
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 pm

MrBenn wrote:So are most of the complaints about the size? If I'm going to make the map bigger, then I'll probably need to take this in a slightly different direction and up the territory count to make a bigger-than-classic-but-not-as-big-as-world-2.1 map

That was just 40kguy and ManBungalow, and even ManBungalow said to just make the large version standard size. So, I really don't think you need to take a new direction with this. It would be neat to see what this map would look like set up Moon Race-style, where Asia is on the left and the Americas on the right. That way, you can have the famous Alaska-Kamchatka border. And those two are a heck of a lot closer to each other than Maghreb-Brazil, Iberia-Canada, and Scandinavia-Greenland. Just something to consider. It would make this map a little more fresh, in my opinion.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Here's a graphical comment: Might want to make South Africa considerably lighter or darker to contrast it with Madagascar.

Also, the borders around northern Europe-Greenland aren't really clear on the small map -- or the large one for that matter.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby 40kguy on Thu May 12, 2011 4:13 pm

yeah just scale the image to a small map. not something that small tho ;)
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

After a fortnightly review, I noticed there hasn't been an update for sometime. So, come the next fortnightly review, if there isn't an update made, we will have to move into the Recycling Bin until the mapmaker makes an update. :cry:
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 pm

[MOVED] At the request of the mapmaker, this is being moved to the Recycling Bin.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: [Abandoned] - Small World

Postby MrBenn on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Is there any merit in reviving this project?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:18 pm

MrBenn wrote:Is there any merit in reviving this project?

Please do continue with this!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Well, here's an update:

What next?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Are you thinking about upping the small to 400wide?? With today's devices I don't think we need to go as small as 300 wide. Just my $0.02 worth. tnb will take another look at it before we move it back into the system.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:00 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Are you thinking about upping the small to 400wide?? With today's devices I don't think we need to go as small as 300 wide. Just my $0.02 worth. tnb will take another look at it before we move it back into the system.

Yeah, I could make it a little larger. My working image is 1200px so that's not a problem (except it's currently set up so the fonts look legible when shrunk 400%; they need altering if I'm only shrinking by 300%)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Yep, revive it.

Though, is there no connection between Alaska and Kamchatka? If not, that's great, I love it. Antarctica is the only trans-continental route to go which makes it unique enough to be a fun map.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box