Conquer Club

Remove Clutter from BOB Snapshots

Have suggestion for a new or old tool/enhancement? Come on in!

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Remove Clutter from BOB Snapshots

Postby Woodruff on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Concise description:
  • BOB users who take snapshots during a game create a non-sensical set of characters in the game chat for non-BOB users.

Specifics/Details:
  • BOB users who take snapshots during a game create a non-sensical set of characters in the game chat for non-BOB users. These characters don't do anything for non-BOB users, so it really doesn't make sense to have it posted in the game chat "for all to see" and should be removed from the game chat. For an example of this, see:
    http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=8466943

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Removing this unnecessary clutter in the game chat would make it far easier to read. In addition, with this clutter, it is far too easy to overlook important information, particularly in team games.
Last edited by Woodruff on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Re: Remove Clutter from BOB Snapshots

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I've always wondered myself why it's there in the first place.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby sherkaner on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 am

Can't change it the way you want it, just tell your teammates not to make snapshots in chat, or live with it.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:I've always wondered myself why it's there in the first place.

-rd

It's there so teammates can share snapshots. My teammates and I use it a lot, and when I'm on a computer w/o BOB, I have no problem reading the game chat. It's a great feature.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby scottp on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm

LOL, i guess if someone wanted to, they could write a script with a BOB-like feature that would suppress the visibility of the snapshots...
Account sitters = MagnusGreeol, concrete, RKCVED
Major scottp

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:

-rd

It's there so teammates can share snapshots. My teammates and I use it a lot, and when I'm on a computer w/o BOB, I have no problem reading the game chat. It's a great feature.

Oh, so if I have BOB, I don't see some random string of characters, but instead something else? Didn't know that. Never had BOB

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:11 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:

-rd

Oh, so if I have BOB, I don't see some random string of characters, but instead something else? Didn't know that. Never had BOB

-rd

Yes, you see a hyperlink which lets you view the snapshot.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:23 pm

sherkaner wrote:Can't change it the way you want it, just tell your teammates not to make snapshots in chat, or live with it.

Well, I'm glad the tech team is so pleased to have a crap product that actually dis-enhances the enjoyment of the site. Well done! I almost cannot imagine a shittier response.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby sherkaner on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Woodruff wrote:
sherkaner wrote:Can't change it the way you want it, just tell your teammates not to make snapshots in chat, or live with it.

Well, I'm glad the tech team is so pleased to have a crap product that actually dis-enhances the enjoyment of the site. Well done! I almost cannot imagine a shittier response.

I thought about 'won't change', that would have been worse. But I can be a bit rude and honest, sorry for that.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

sherkaner - I assure you you're not the rude one in this conversation.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby shocked439 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm

the nonsensical jibberish you are referring to is actually a link for bob users to share the information. It shows the map as it was when the shot was taken and will highlight changes in the map since the shot was taken.

The point of the jibberish in the chat is to share with teammates, or in singles games let you review easier. It is very helpful in team games, but as was mentioned earlier if you don't like it ask your teammates to not use it.

It's really not that hard to skip over the snap comment bob leaves if you are on a computer without bob.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm

shocked439 wrote:It's really not that hard to skip over the snap comment bob leaves if you are on a computer without bob.

I keep hearing this, and yet the fact of the matter is that it IS VERY difficult. Ok, I guess it's not hard ot skip over the snap comment, but the problem lies with REAL comments interspersed with the snap comments. Perhaps it is my shade blindness (though I wouldn't think so), but I do have a very difficult time picking out the text between these snaps. I have missed several occasions of teammate text already in a short game.

I do not normally play team games, but am in a tournament where this is required.

At any rate, it seems as though there should be a very simple way for this text NOT to show up in the game chat when it is not an actual link being displayed (as with non-BOB-users).

But hey...tough shit on my part, amirite? After all, expecting good customer service combined with a bit of effort is apparently being rude.
All hail the tech team! Wouldn't want them to get off their ass or anything, when it's much easier to be an asshole.

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am

You're the only person I know who thinks this is a horrible atrocity upon CC. In fact, just about every one of my teammates uses it, and everyone I know who uses it thinks it's outstanding. The tech team isn't going to revamp an exceptional tool because one person is throwing a fit.

That's the last I have to say on this matter. Your behavior in this thread has convinced me I don't need to read your posts any more.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Woodruff on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 am

drunkmonkey wrote:You're the only person I know who thinks this is a horrible atrocity upon CC. In fact, just about every one of my teammates uses it, and everyone I know who uses it thinks it's outstanding.

You clearly are misunderstanding my complaint. My complaint is not regarding the usefulness of the tool, nor anything actually having to do with the tool's proper workings. I'm sure it's a great tool. Learn how to read. My complaint is with unnecessary garbage being placed into the gamechat.

drunkmonkey wrote:The tech team isn't going to revamp an exceptional tool because one person is throwing a fit.

The tech team has made it abundantly clear that they aren't interested in making their products better, only in telling people to "live with it".

drunkmonkey wrote:That's the last I have to say on this matter. Your behavior in this thread has convinced me I don't need to read your posts any more.

No harm, since you weren't contributing anything anyway.

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 am

Woodruff wrote:You clearly are misunderstanding my complaint. My complaint is not regarding the usefulness of the tool, nor anything actually having to do with the tool's proper workings. I'm sure it's a great tool. Learn how to read. My complaint is with unnecessary garbage being placed into the gamechat.

If you had a teammate who wrote "stwedyfkgvhbj.nxeurfkg,jnkryfkgv,jbtfkgv" in the gamechat on a regular basis, then this would be something that you would need to take up with the particular person who is posting this spam into your gamechat.

Here's an analogy that I think works - it's a bit like phoning a number and getting a fax machine... unless both the sender and recipient are using the same technology, the message is reduced to meaningless noise.

With the snapshot tool, the "noise" is still being posted by your teammates (although the content of it is generated by the tool). If this is hindering your communication with your team, then you need to discuss this with your team in order to come up with an alternative communication strategy.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby shocked439 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 am

Or you could download the script not use it but at least have your chat box cleaned up so you can see tge information you keep missing.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am

Woodruff wrote:
shocked439 wrote:It's really not that hard to skip over the snap comment bob leaves if you are on a computer without bob.

I keep hearing this, and yet the fact of the matter is that it IS VERY difficult. Ok, I guess it's not hard ot skip over the snap comment, but the problem lies with REAL comments interspersed with the snap comments. Perhaps it is my shade blindness (though I wouldn't think so), but I do have a very difficult time picking out the text between these snaps. I have missed several occasions of teammate text already in a short game.

I do not normally play team games, but am in a tournament where this is required.

At any rate, it seems as though there should be a very simple way for this text NOT to show up in the game chat when it is not an actual link being displayed (as with non-BOB-users).

But hey...tough shit on my part, amirite? After all, expecting good customer service combined with a bit of effort is apparently being rude.
All hail the tech team! Wouldn't want them to get off their ass or anything, when it's much easier to be an asshole.

There is a way for this text (which by the way is not clutter, it is the actual snapshot data) not to show up in game chat. Have your teammates use the other type of snapshot. However, those snapshots are stored on each individual's computer and not easily shared, a problem made worse if a player uses more than one computer. The game chat is used because it is a common storage area accessible to all team members.
If your teammates insist on using snapshots in chat, ask them to put some extra chat lines around them or around the real chat so that it is easier for you to pick those lines out.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Return to Tools Suggestions