I'm interested in creating a tournament!

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderators: Tournament Directors, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I'm interested in creating a tournament!

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm

What are some things I should think about? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I've never organized a tournament before so I guess I'm just asking for general advice!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: I'm interested in creating a tournament!

Postby DJENRE on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Have you read the tournament handbook?
Private 1st Class DJENRE

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm

DJENRE wrote:Have you read the tournament handbook?

Nope I looked for something like that but didn''t find it so I posted this question :) !
Lieutenant Gillipig

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby Lindax on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Major Lindax
Clan Director
Clan Director

Medals: 129
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (5)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby Night Strike on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Just curious, in my mind, the logical place for the Tournament Handbook is at the top of the Create/Join a Tournament subforum because that's where people would go to create a tournament. There is also a link to the handbook in the FAQs. However, there are a lot of people who say they had not read the handbook when they ask questions about creating a tournament. Is this a situation of people not properly reading forum announcements, or does the handbook need to be placed in a different area? This isn't calling you out Gillipig as it's a frequent occurrence from a number of members and I'm looking for opinion/feedback.
Captain Night Strike

Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Night Strike wrote:Just curious, in my mind, the logical place for the Tournament Handbook is at the top of the Create/Join a Tournament subforum because that's where people would go to create a tournament. There is also a link to the handbook in the FAQs. However, there are a lot of people who say they had not read the handbook when they ask questions about creating a tournament. Is this a situation of people not properly reading forum announcements, or does the handbook need to be placed in a different area? This isn't calling you out Gillipig as it's a frequent occurrence from a number of members and I'm looking for opinion/feedback.

everytime i want to know something about running a tournament i go to the General Info, Q&A, Discussion sub-forum and i can never find the Tournament Handbook.

it is logical to me that information about tournaments would be in the sub-forum people visit to have their questions answered.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Night Strike wrote:Just curious, in my mind, the logical place for the Tournament Handbook is at the top of the Create/Join a Tournament subforum because that's where people would go to create a tournament. There is also a link to the handbook in the FAQs. However, there are a lot of people who say they had not read the handbook when they ask questions about creating a tournament. Is this a situation of people not properly reading forum announcements, or does the handbook need to be placed in a different area? This isn't calling you out Gillipig as it's a frequent occurrence from a number of members and I'm looking for opinion/feedback.

I think normally when you want advice and you see Q&A you go there :) ! But it makes sense to have it in create a tournament as well since it's related to just that. Maybe creating a double of that topic and have it on both places could sort out the confusion!? Or maybe that would be even more confusing :P .

The guide was very useful by the way, I've created my first tournament now! Let's just hope there's people interested in joining!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Lindax on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

I think it would probably be useful to have the Tournament Handbook in all tournament forums (except Archives I guess), if that's technically not a problem.

Lx
Major Lindax
Clan Director
Clan Director

Medals: 129
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (5)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Return to Tournament Archives