Conquer Club

Land Before Time: metaphore for death?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Land Before Time: metaphore for death?

Postby The Bison King on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am

So I watched Land Before Time last night and I came up with a new theory on what it's really about. I think that The Great Valley isn't a real physical location but is basically Dinosaur Heaven. I mean let's look at it. Famished orphaned Dinosaurs wonder around a post apocalyptic wasteland that is eerily reminiscent of hell. I mean good god look at this place:

They are in constant pursuit of food which is futile since larger dinosaurs keep stealing it from them. The movie offers only a few glimmers of hope for these poor dying baby dinosaurs who are torn apart by rampant dinosaur racism (another theme that's kind of weirdly thrown in there). Until finally, when they're most down on their luck Little foot see's a hallucination of his mother in the clouds and suddenly the great valley appears. Where they are reunited with their parents and everything is wonderful and happy... cause they died of starvation and went to heaven.
Rooter even gives that speech about "we don't all get there at the same time but we all arrive at the same place."

Of course the other possible theme is that they are Marxist dinosaurs, drawn together by oppression. T-rex represents the global elite of a capitalist society, taking what he wants with no regard for the lesser creatures. Bigger stronger dinosaurs take whatever they want and leave nothing for smaller (poorer) dinosaurs. The small poor dinosaurs ban together overthrow the global elite and create a perfect Utopian society where all dinosaurs are equal and have enough to eat.
Last edited by The Bison King on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Re: Land Before Time: metaphore fore death?

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 am

Hey, that's nothing new.

Disney has always been stuffing the christian religion in a disguise down kids' throats.

After writing this I realized Land before time wasn't a disney film, but my point still stands.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby targetman377 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 pm

the land before time is my favorite kids movie i just re watched it i would agree with your death thing. I don't want to make this into a political thread but the Marxist theory is just really bad. and only works if you have truly no idea how a capitalist system works at all.
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby The Bison King on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:13 pm

targetman377 wrote:the land before time is my favorite kids movie i just re watched it i would agree with your death thing. I don't want to make this into a political thread but the Marxist theory is just really bad. and only works if you have truly no idea how a capitalist system works at all.

I didn't cme up with the marxist theory I just read that off of Wikipedia:

Wiki wrote:The Marxist-Lacanian philosopher, cultural critic and controversial public intellectual Slavoj Zizek, in his book Welcome to the Desert of the Real (2002) offers a more critical analysis, claiming that the film offers 'the clearest articulation of the hegemonic liberal multiculturalist ideology'.[12] This ideology is, in Zizek's view, an intellectual mechanism which legitimises capitalist oppression - he points out that the narrative entails the smaller, weaker and more peaceful dinosaurs accepting their physical subjugation by the larger more vicious ones. Zizek quotes a key song from one of the movie's sequels, The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists sung by the oppressed dinosaurs, which includes the lyrics 'It takes all sorts / To make a world / Short and tall sorts / Large and small sorts / To fill this pretty planet / with love and laughter … It takes all types … To do all the things / That need to be done'. He argues that the implication is both that social inequality/domination is acceptable and that it is in fact essential 'To do all the things / That need to be done'.[13]
[edit]

I subscribe to the "they dead" interpretation.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Timminz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:17 pm

I'd never thought of it before, but it seems to make sense.

Can you fix the thread title please?
Captain Timminz

Postby targetman377 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:17 pm

The Bison King wrote:
targetman377 wrote:the land before time is my favorite kids movie i just re watched it i would agree with your death thing. I don't want to make this into a political thread but the Marxist theory is just really bad. and only works if you have truly no idea how a capitalist system works at all.

I didn't cme up with the marxist theory I just read that off of Wikipedia:

Wiki wrote:The Marxist-Lacanian philosopher, cultural critic and controversial public intellectual Slavoj Zizek, in his book Welcome to the Desert of the Real (2002) offers a more critical analysis, claiming that the film offers 'the clearest articulation of the hegemonic liberal multiculturalist ideology'.[12] This ideology is, in Zizek's view, an intellectual mechanism which legitimises capitalist oppression - he points out that the narrative entails the smaller, weaker and more peaceful dinosaurs accepting their physical subjugation by the larger more vicious ones. Zizek quotes a key song from one of the movie's sequels, The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists sung by the oppressed dinosaurs, which includes the lyrics 'It takes all sorts / To make a world / Short and tall sorts / Large and small sorts / To fill this pretty planet / with love and laughter … It takes all types … To do all the things / That need to be done'. He argues that the implication is both that social inequality/domination is acceptable and that it is in fact essential 'To do all the things / That need to be done'.[13]
[edit]

I subscribe to the "they dead" interpretation.

oh that's interesting! theory. thanks for telling me sorry about the mean comment. i was not trying to be
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby targetman377 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Timminz wrote:I'd never thought of it before, but it seems to make sense.

Can you fix the thread title please?

to what? it i think the death is the best metaphor what do you think?
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

You wouldn't see what's wrong with the title, would you...

Re: Land Before Time: metaphore for death?

Postby The Bison King on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

...title fixed...

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby targetman377 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

natty_dread wrote:You wouldn't see what's wrong with the title, would you...

no i saw that that i just thought it was cool!!!
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

It's been a longggggggggggggg ass time since I've seen the original LBT. Though, the fact that they came out with an infinite number of sequels ruined it for me.

Another movie I miss:

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby The Bison King on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Army of GOD wrote:It's been a longggggggggggggg ass time since I've seen the original LBT. Though, the fact that they came out with an infinite number of sequels ruined it for me.

Another movie I miss:

Yeah but those sequels are nothing like the original and Don Bluth had nothing to do with them. The original is down right depressing. Like that scene where he mistakes his shadow for his mother. God the poor stupid dinosaur. Apparently they had to cut over 11 minutes out of the movie to keep it's G rating. The scenes that they cut they removed because they feared that they would "cause psychological damage in young children"

Also Brave Little Toaster... duh!

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby john9blue on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:Hey, that's nothing new.

Disney has always been stuffing the christian religion in a disguise down kids' throats.

After writing this I realized Land before time wasn't a disney film, but my point still stands.

LOL.

No.

It doesn't.

Goodbye.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 am

Quite possible, although a slightly more facetious interpretation to me would be connected to how the favorite leaves look a bit like marijuana. Hence, everyone is high in that movie all the time and that's why things are so peaceful. The meat eaters don't eat the leaves which is why they're always fighting.
Captain safariguy5

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 am

john9blue wrote:LOL.

No.

It doesn't.

Goodbye.

Care to elaborate or are you just here to troll?

Postby targetman377 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 pm

safariguy5 wrote:Quite possible, although a slightly more facetious interpretation to me would be connected to how the favorite leaves look a bit like marijuana. Hence, everyone is high in that movie all the time and that's why things are so peaceful. The meat eaters don't eat the leaves which is why they're always fighting.

God made it = good!
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 pm

God made cyanide

Cyanide = good!
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Army of GOD wrote:God made cyanide

Cyanide = good!

Hell yeah it is. In fact, considering that it was the number 1 suicide method in the 3rd Reich, I'd go as far as saying cyanide is Das Bomb!
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Cyanide (CN-) is the conjugate base of hydrogen cyanide (HCN). When hydrogen cyanide protonates a base, it results in an ionic salt of cyanide and a base. Cyanide is an anion, which is an ion with a negative charge. It consists of a carbon and a nitrogen which share a trivalent bond, and one extra electron. Carbon and nitrogen were both made in the core of stars, by fusion of lighter elements, initially made from hydrogen that was created in the big bang.

Therefore I posit that your statement, "God made cyanide", is false.

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:Cyanide (CN-) is the conjugate base of hydrogen cyanide (HCN). When hydrogen cyanide protonates a base, it results in an ionic salt of cyanide and a base. Cyanide is an anion, which is an ion with a negative charge. It consists of a carbon and a nitrogen which share a trivalent bond, and one extra electron. Carbon and nitrogen were both made in the core of stars, by fusion of lighter elements, initially made from hydrogen that was created in the big bang.

God made the Big Bang. With his penis, no less.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Cyanide (CN-) is the conjugate base of hydrogen cyanide (HCN). When hydrogen cyanide protonates a base, it results in an ionic salt of cyanide and a base. Cyanide is an anion, which is an ion with a negative charge. It consists of a carbon and a nitrogen which share a trivalent bond, and one extra electron. Carbon and nitrogen were both made in the core of stars, by fusion of lighter elements, initially made from hydrogen that was created in the big bang.

God made the Big Bang. With his penis, no less.

That is debatable and a matter of opinion. But the fact is, god did not make cyanide. It came into existence spontaneously.

Kinda like life.

Kinda like my penis.

Postby john9blue on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 pm

natty_dread wrote:

No.

It doesn't.

Goodbye.

If LBT isn't a Disney film, how can you still try to claim that it stuffs Christianity down people's throats? Unless you're trying to say Don Bluth Studios does the same thing. Do you believe in this metaphor or not?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

john9blue wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

No.

It doesn't.

Goodbye.

If LBT isn't a Disney film, how can you still try to claim that it stuffs Christianity down people's throats? Unless you're trying to say Don Bluth Studios does the same thing. Do you believe in this metaphor or not?

I don't get your point.

If LBT has obvious metaphors about hell and heaven, then it's pretty much doing the same thing as disney films.

As for disney films, look at Aladdin: the movie is supposed to have an arabic setting, yet pretty much all islamic elements are stripped away, and replaced with christian ones.

Look at Hercules: most original greek mythology is stripped away. Hades is just a stand-in for satan, while in greek mythology hades was not an evil god, he just governed the dead. Zeus is made into a stand-in for the christian god, while hercules represents Jesus...

Postby john9blue on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 pm

natty_dread wrote:I don't get your point.

If LBT has obvious metaphors about hell and heaven, then it's pretty much doing the same thing as disney films.

The concepts of Hell and Heaven aren't uniquely Christian.

natty_dread wrote:As for disney films, look at Aladdin: the movie is supposed to have an arabic setting, yet pretty much all islamic elements are stripped away, and replaced with christian ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_SX-FiXbKs

natty_dread wrote:Look at Hercules: most original greek mythology is stripped away. Hades is just a stand-in for satan, while in greek mythology hades was not an evil god, he just governed the dead. Zeus is made into a stand-in for the christian god, while hercules represents Jesus...

Sadly, I have never seen Hercules...
Captain john9blue

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:16 pm

john9blue wrote:
natty_dread wrote:I don't get your point.

The concepts of Hell and Heaven aren't uniquely Christian.

Ok, maybe not. You have a point there.

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,