Conquer Club

France BJS [NEW MAP 2.0]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

France BJS [NEW MAP 2.0]

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

"REGIONS" : France is divided in 27 "Régions": 22 In FRANCE and 5 overseas (called DOM: "Départements d'outre-mer"= overseas departments).
"DEPARTEMENTS": Regions are subdivided in 96 "Départements" (101 with DOM) : Circle on map
"PREFECTURES" Each "région" has a head department called "Préfecture". Underlined circle on map
Note that DOM are "régions" with only one "département". They count for both. DOM are on the side
France also have TOM ("Territoires d'outre-mer" = overseas territories) but they are not included in that map.

"List of Régions", "Départements" & "Préfectures"
show

All right, this is the new design for France Bamboo Jack style.

I have to do the bonuses and set the airports but you can already see the new design and let me know about:

MAP 2.0
Click image to enlarge.

This is the new map : FRANCE: BAMBOO JACK STYLE

Total of territories: 114 (101 "départements" + 13 airports: one is missing in ALSACE on the map)
"Régions" can be entered only by their "préfectures" (underlined circles) or by airports (Airports can attack each other).
Préfectures can attack adjacent 'préfectures', or 'départements' in their own 'région'.
Airports are in 'préfectures' except for Paris (Roissy-CdG = 95) and Nice (06). Airports can only attack one territory in the 'région' they belong to.
Airports are territories and reset to neutral after playing.
22 starting points in total. Starting points start with 5 troops (Maybe we could set 3 troops with a + 2 autodeploy too)

DOM (5 territs on the side) start neutral and are +3 or +5 autodeploy...(I don't know yet). No ports anymore.
Bonus will be set later. There will be region bonuses (all territ in the same region = bonus) and colored bonus (hold 'préfectures' of the same color = bonus)

Click image to enlarge.

show: OLD MAPS AND GAMEPLAY
Last edited by DJENRE on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 17 times in total.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Re: France Relief

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm

RESERVE
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm

RESERVE
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:36 pm

ah. Here we are. 2 threads no less ;-)
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:49 pm

I like it, but I guess I'm easy to please ;-)

Does ports and airports connect to a specific Département? Some of those on the Mediterranean seem to float about by themselves, it seems. I guess they'd have to, to make sense :-s

Maybe the airports could bombard or attack more frivolousness?

Last but certainly not least, what software are you using to draw this in?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Riskismy wrote:ah. Here we are. 2 threads no less ;-)

Yes, was a mistake in editing my posts or something with my double screen...
I never did a double thread..lol. Double post maybe but double thread, never. :D

Riskismy wrote:hm. Well, personally I wouldn't mind 10 maps of France, but it does seem odd that you at first say you're aware there's a geographical map of France already, and then continue to to say that this is going to be a geographical map of France. You do mention history, but I can't quite relate - maybe I should go look at that existing map.

Either way, maybe you could provide a map of those 94 "Départements" and 21"Régions", even if just from their home department or some such? Would help a lot.

About France map, there is two maps on conquer club : FRANCE (geographical) and FRANCE 1789 (Historical)

Riskismy wrote:I like it, but I guess I'm easy to please ;-)

Does ports and airports connect to a specific Département? Some of those on the Mediterranean seem to float about by themselves, it seems. I guess they'd have to, to make sense :-s

Maybe the airports could bombard or attack more frivolousness?

Last but certainly not least, what software are you using to draw this in?

1) yes airports and ports belong to 1 département and not the whole region : I making updates often and I'll do that so check later.
There are not floatting by themselves, they are where I had place to put them firstly. And for two in atlantics, there were firstly a port and I changed it for airport. But remember it's just to see gameplay, I will change position for the circle, airport and ports to have a nice map, but connections will remain the same.
2) but they won't bombard anything. Anyway, I'll think of that but it was not my first idea.
3) I used paint :D , yes I know but my old software ran out of date and I'm looking for a good freeware where I could do some better and quicker work so if you have a link, feel free to add it there.
I'm looking for a FREEWARE, where I could easily work on images (and not one to use as testing only for a month!!!)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm

UPDATED with a new map including DOM = 5 more territs + 5 more airports + autodeploy gameplay
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby kengyin on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:23 pm

if these territories are based on the real numbered provinces of france then wouldnt it be better if thats how the territories are shaped? rather than as circles, in my opinion those are better for abstract maps and like space based maps etc heres a map
by the way i do french at high school
Sergeant kengyin

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

Well... arguably France 1789 isn't very historic because Nice and Savoy are part of France when they weren't part of France at that period of time.

But overall, I agree with Kengyin, something with actual territorial borders suits this idea much better than balls and lines... the map he supplied is actually quite suitable. I think army numbers might fit in most of those regions and the ones where they don't, pointer lines or something could be used. Paris would still need the inset though. Actually, you might be able to even enlarge France some and give yourself some more room.

As for the airports and ports... its too much I think. I'm leaning in favor of a more standard gameplay style as proposed by Kengyin. Maybe a few sea connectors.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 am

As for the airports and ports... its too much I think. I'm leaning in favor of a more standard gameplay style as proposed by Kengyin. Maybe a few sea connectors.

We already have a standard gameplay map of France. Do we really need another?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 am

Yeah, but neither really look like France. If anything, maybe the departments/regions scheme could work. Regions border all departments and regions border depicted regions.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 pm

kengyin wrote:if these territories are based on the real numbered provinces of france then wouldnt it be better if thats how the territories are shaped? rather than as circles, in my opinion those are better for abstract maps and like space based maps etc heres a map
by the way i do french at high school

First, see that on your map, there is no Corsica.... If I made a french map, I want it real!!!
And second, can we use it? (copyright) so I think we have to leave that one. ;)
And be sure I browse the web before I choosed my map (I checked about 200 maps), and that's the nicer one I had (This is one I made at school many years ago)

Industrial Helix wrote:Well... arguably France 1789 isn't very historic because Nice and Savoy are part of France when they weren't part of France at that period of time.

Yes I know, I'm from Nice actually ;). And if you want to argue and because of the post from natty_dread,
natty_dread wrote:We already have a standard gameplay map of France. Do we really need another?

It's not France at all...(please note I told first line of my thread I didn't want to tell anything about it, but now we are). Where have you seen mountains in the middle of FRANCE? Alps maybe... Or Auvergne Volcanos, but 100 000 years ago, or maybe it's french before Plate tectonics, when it was pangea :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I don't know haw he splitted bonuses... They are no region nor departments....This guy never went in France I presume.

Industrial Helix wrote:As for the airports and ports... its too much I think. I'm leaning in favor of a more standard gameplay style as proposed by Kengyin. Maybe a few sea connectors.

We need a way to cross mediterranean and reach corsica. And also a way to reach DOM if we set DOM on that map. See second map given.
Also note that everything is perfectly real on my map : Number of 'régions', number of 'départements', major ports and major airports with their actual names and location....
One more thing about the circles, there is only number of the 'départements' (real numbers we use instead names on driving licence, passport, zipcode, adresses.... in France) to let more room for troops but in the ACTION TAB, when u will choose your département, you will have for example :

2011-03-07 03:04:32 - DJENRE assaulted 56-Morbihan from 29-Finistère and conquered it from xxxxx

Real names of Départements will appears only in ASSAULT LOG. Régions names will appears in bonus tab on map.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm

And also, First French map really upset french players, and if anyone doubt on it, I gonna bring some players to show you a new french map is necessary.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

DJENRE wrote:And second, can we use it? (copyright)

Of course you can't use that exact image (for more reasons than copyright) but no one can claim copyright for real-world geographical areas.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Yeah, what Natty said. Copyright. But the image is about perfect for small map size and most of the territories have space for legible names that fit and the army numbers... I'd say just throw it in photoshop and trace it. Spice it up a bit... add Corsica with fudged geography or as an inset.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Sorry but the map from kengyin is also really ugly.... ;)

And I don't want to draw corsica + ile de france.... there is no room for it
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:42 pm

If the problem on my map is circles, I can do it with the proper names. I told you in the first post, WE ARE JUST TALKING ABOUT GAMEPLAY, then I'll fix the design
But I'm afraid we don't have enough room for both troops and names.... or names will appears really tiny
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby Le_cardinal on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 pm

I like the map. Just add Corsica + DOM-TOMS
Brigadier Le_cardinal

Postby fairman on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi,

Good idea, I'm french and it's true that France map has nothing real.
So i like the idea of a new one.
I like the 24 starting point.
But I'm not a big fan of the DOM idea (to many and will be hard to integrate in your map)
If you plan to do airport and port, maybe you could do an economics map, wich special bonus, castle, wine, ... in the idea of AOM or AOR.
Good luck for this map ... =D>
Brigadier fairman

Postby PATMB on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

j'aime beaucoup l'idée
Corporal 1st Class PATMB

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Mishalex wrote:Je vois pas de quelle carte tu parles!

Est ce la première avec les cercles?

Ou la carte administrative avec les départements?

Parce que celles avec les départements, elle est pas mal, par contre, il manque la Corse, et je pense que faire un lien vers les DOM TOM, ça serait marrant! Il suffit de trouver les départements d'outre mer, et de les placer sur le coté atlantique!

En tout cas, je suis d'accord avec toi!

Ciao,

Captain Mishalex.

Sur mon premier post, y'a les deux maps que j'ai proposé avec ou sans DOM, l'autre map a été envoyée par un autre joueur mais y'a pas la corse et je la trouve pas super jolie.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby DJENRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

jambay37 wrote:salut,

oui, c'est n'importe quoi cette carte de france à la mords-moi le noeud! france 1789 est déjà bcp mieux, mais il nous manque une carte actuelle avec les départements.

il y a eu un projet de carte il y a quelques années, mais il a été abandonné. comme le tien, il s'agissait de reprendre tous les départements (à voir pour l'île-de-france) et les bonus étaient constitués par les régions administratives, un peu comme sur la carte qui est au milieu de la page sur le lien que tu as inséré dans ton message.

si tu veux, je veux bien t'aider pour te suggérer des frontières naturelles plus réalistes entre départements/régions. ton idée des aéroports est excellente, car sinon la carte serait trop grande, mais je suis moins convaincu par l'idée de rajouter des ports, ça pourrait faire doublon.

n'hésite pas à me contacter, je t'aiderai avec plaisir!

jambay.

Ouais meme la 1789 est pas tres credible avec les duches de savoie et le compté de Nice mais bon...
Merci pour ton soutien en tout cas.
Pas faux pour les ports qui font doublons, je pourrais peut etre les supprimer mais l'avantage d'avoir port + aeroport permet des acces a quasiment toutes les regions sauf pour deux ou trois au centre qui n'ont ni port, ni aeroport. ;)

:?: Que veux tu dire par frontière plus réalistes? celles ci sont les vrais frontières.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em

Postby jambay37 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 pm

par rapport à la carte administrative page précédente, on peut mettre des rivières ou des montagnes pour séparer des départements, par exemple les vosges qui rendent impossible le passage entre la franche-comté et la lorraine, ou la loire entre rhône-alpes et l'auvergne.

et même avec la carte physique avec des cercles, on peut les incorporer en supprimant ces liaisons.

sinon, la carte administrative proposée page précédente est pas mal dans l'esprit.

DJENRE wrote:
jambay37 wrote:salut,

oui, c'est n'importe quoi cette carte de france à la mords-moi le noeud! france 1789 est déjà bcp mieux, mais il nous manque une carte actuelle avec les départements.

il y a eu un projet de carte il y a quelques années, mais il a été abandonné. comme le tien, il s'agissait de reprendre tous les départements (à voir pour l'île-de-france) et les bonus étaient constitués par les régions administratives, un peu comme sur la carte qui est au milieu de la page sur le lien que tu as inséré dans ton message.

si tu veux, je veux bien t'aider pour te suggérer des frontières naturelles plus réalistes entre départements/régions. ton idée des aéroports est excellente, car sinon la carte serait trop grande, mais je suis moins convaincu par l'idée de rajouter des ports, ça pourrait faire doublon.

n'hésite pas à me contacter, je t'aiderai avec plaisir!

jambay.

Ouais meme la 1789 est pas tres credible avec les duches de savoie et le compté de Nice mais bon...
Merci pour ton soutien en tout cas.
Pas faux pour les ports qui font doublons, je pourrais peut etre les supprimer mais l'avantage d'avoir port + aeroport permet des acces a quasiment toutes les regions sauf pour deux ou trois au centre qui n'ont ni port, ni aeroport. ;)

:?: Que veux tu dire par frontière plus réalistes? celles ci sont les vrais frontières.
Major jambay37

Postby djelebert on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm

I agree with this project of course! i will not give another complaint against actual map... but it's true that another must be!

But please don't make it a map like AoR, as i read. this kind of map must be kept for non real territories i think. resuming France or other country to some ressources could be difficult.

Ports ands aeroports idea could be a great idea!

Bon je continue en Français, car déjà ça risque de ne pas être clair!

Sinon pour les liens entre départements, si cela est trop complexe, on pourrait faire dans l'esprit de bamboo jack, avec les départements d'une région qui peuvent s'attaquer entre eux, mais ne peuvent pas attaquer d'autres départements, et faire les liens entre régions avec les aéroports et ports, ou le long d'un fleuve.
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby douitashimashite on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

fairman wrote:Hi,

Good idea, I'm french and it's true that France map has nothing real.
So i like the idea of a new one.
I like the 24 starting point.
But I'm not a big fan of the DOM idea (to many and will be hard to integrate in your map)
If you plan to do airport and port, maybe you could do an economics map, wich special bonus, castle, wine, ... in the idea of AOM or AOR.
Good luck for this map ... =D>

i agree with this idea, france is full of resources (wine, cheese, bread, castle etc....) also maybe have everyone with 2 starting point 1 port and 1 airport (which shall not connect ;) ) both auto deploy +1 ?
Click image to enlarge.
Captain douitashimashite

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas