Conquer Club

Golfe du St-Laurent: Tisha Wins!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Golfe du St-Laurent: Run-off Poll!!!

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Maverick0711 wrote:I vote for the top one

No you're supposed to vote for the bottom one! :lol:
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DJENRE on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 pm

It seem territories and bonuses are the same so it's just a question of design....

Both are really nice but I prefer tisha's one. A bit nicer but I 'd like to see it with troops on it. I'm not sure tisha's map will be clearer than Isaiah40.... Could we see it with troops?
I reserve my vote for now.

I'm always ready to help cartographers.
Also read this post, you should be aware of that as this map will soon be in the final forge I presume.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470

Vote if it's not done already and let TD know about if we should create a special sign for winners with a quick post.

DJENRE
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 pm

DJENRE wrote:It seem territories and bonuses are the same so it's just a question of design....

Both are really nice but I prefer tisha's one. A bit nicer but I 'd like to see it with troops on it. I'm not sure tisha's map will be clearer than Isaiah40.... Could we see it with troops?
I reserve my vote for now.

I'm always ready to help cartographers.
Also read this post, you should be aware of that as this map will soon be in the final forge I presume.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470

Vote if it's not done already and let TD know about if we should create a special sign for winners with a quick post.

DJENRE

Well since we are in the middle of the run-off, there can be no revisions to the map until the voting is over. So if you would like to vote, please do so soon! Like place your vote for me ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DJENRE on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Well since we are in the middle of the run-off, there can be no revisions to the map until the voting is over. So if you would like to vote, please do so soon! Like place your vote for me ;)

SOrry then but my vote will be for the other map ! ;)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 pm

congrats Tish - you've designed a unique and beautiful map, and thank you to all who entered. I love these comps!
Private RjBeals

Postby OliverFA on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Both maps are good. I finally decided to vote for Tisha's for two reasons:
- The bonus is clearer
- Isahia40's diagonal image is pretty, but I don't think it would work nice with numbers on top of it.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby bedub1 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 am

I'd like to vote for a merge and joint effort.

Map Name - Isaiah40 (Tisha's look like lips)
Lines connecting countries - Isaiah40 (I like how they don't touch)
Countries - Tisha (I like how obvious and definitive and pretty they are)
Bonus Definition - Tisha (I like the visual representation instead of the words)
Compass - Isaiah40 (The compass looks cool)
Background - Isaiah40 (this is the toughest call. When they merge, dump the burn marks where the paper got creased.)

Dump the ship on Isaiah40's
Dump the valentines day dude playing the flute on Tisha's

So basically move Tisha's Countries and Bonus Definition to Isaiah40's background etc...

Great work both of you, but you can do better if you combine your efforts.
Colonel bedub1

Tisha has my vote

Postby VectorxMan on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 am

I love how Tisha's map has the mini-map in the top right visually showing what each bonus is worth. That's what sold my vote.
If it is illegal to grow cannabis then by man's law, God, creator of all plants is a criminal.
    ~Bob Marley
Private 1st Class VectorxMan

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Alright, I'm going to call the winner: Tisha at 63% of the votes and 115 votes total.

Isaiah40 came in with 67 votes at 37%.

Congrats to Tisha, expect further instructions in the near future. Thank you to Isaiah40 for an excellent entry and thank you to all who participated. All the entries were quite good and worth of CC, but there can be only one winner. Thank you again!

Tisha
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Golfe du St-Laurent: Tisha Wins!

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 pm

How about the other entries? I'd like to check them out, and surely they deserve the 'honourable mention'?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 pm

They are all in post 1
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Thank you, didn't catch that, obviously.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Had I been around for the first vote, I would have gone for entry #7.

You can really tell how wet and cold it must be there, though it's a little hard to tell the bonus areas from each other. Nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. By comparison, I associate the winning map with a warm and gentle environment (something it clearly isn't).
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby ender516 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

It may not be gentle, but it is plenty warm enough at the right time of year. And although #7 had a very interesting texture and technique, I thought it was a little overboard on the number of lakes.

Congratulations, Tisha!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm

I made #1

Postby Riskismy on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm

I just went and had a number 2. :|
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm

ender516 wrote:It may not be gentle, but it is plenty warm enough at the right time of year. And although #7 had a very interesting texture and technique, I thought it was a little overboard on the number of lakes.

Congratulations, Tisha!
The number of lakes ARE an accurate account of the place, as I used a real topographical map as a base.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Riskismy wrote:Had I been around for the first vote, I would have gone for entry #7.

You can really tell how wet and cold it must be there, though it's a little hard to tell the bonus areas from each other. Nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. By comparison, I associate the winning map with a warm and gentle environment (something it clearly isn't).
The winning map is not bad, and I really like Tisha's other maps. South America is my favorite work of hers.

However, I do NOT believe that the winner of this contest made the best map. I do believe that it was the best run campaign though. The lobbying efforts employed by Tisha beat out everybody else. Through family and friends and PM's, (I imagine), she has successfully navigated the system to take the prize. I applaud her, and give my respect to her.

In the future, I suggest that contests like these should be run a bit differently. I believe that the best map can be discerned only if, the voters pool was made up from 3 or 4 thousand members, that are randomly selected to participate in the poll. To qualify as a potential participant, the member must be active, and not a reg. forum poster. So this means that the ballets will be sent out via PM's.

If there were say 5,000 of these ballets sent out, my guess is that at least 20% would respond and cast their vote. So the min. amount of voters would be at least 1,000. This pool of voters would be free of family, friends, and lobbied participants.

The number of voters in this poll was just way too small. 115 cast votes is not going to give the true average public opinion.

Some may say "sour grapes" and point their finger at me, That is alright with me, but if you really want to prove me wrong, run a poll in the manner that I suggest. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:27 pm

However, I do NOT believe that the winner of this contest made the best map. I do believe that it was the best run campaign though. The lobbying efforts employed by Tisha beat out everybody else. Through family and friends and PM's, (I imagine), she has successfully navigated the system to take the prize.

OMG pork, you do not take losing well.

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:39 pm

natty_dread wrote:
However, I do NOT believe that the winner of this contest made the best map. I do believe that it was the best run campaign though. The lobbying efforts employed by Tisha beat out everybody else. Through family and friends and PM's, (I imagine), she has successfully navigated the system to take the prize.

OMG pork, you do not take losing well.
Why may I ask, did you leave out the rest of my words, that completed that quote ?

Tish won far and square. She did not do anything outside of the rules to my knowledge. She simply figured out the best way to win under the rules. Nothing wrong or improper here at all.

My suggestion goes to the way this poll was implemented. Can you not see the logic, and the reason for looking at a better way to do these polls ?

With only 115 people voting, it is very easy to rig the outcome by getting 20 or so friends and family members, to come vote for you. I thought about doing it myself, but decided against it. I felt that it would not be fair to the other mapmakers.

My suggestion would fix this problem, and make it MORE about finding the most popular map, ...not the most popular mapmaker.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Tisha on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes, those 5 friends I told which map I made really made a difference in the voting...specially when some had already voted.

My family on CC consist of one person. Those few people I talked to are people I talk to everyday and some of them had already voted. There wasn't any mass pm and It wasn't like go vote for my map, it was go vote for what you like.. but believe whatever stories you want to to make you think your map would have actually won.
I didn't even vote for myself, I voted for a friend. This contest really wasn't that big of a deal for me, I had turned my map in almost two weeks before it was even due...but alright.

Don't say shit about me when you don't even know how things went.

Take it down if that's what everyone thinks..
Major Tisha

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Tisha wrote:Yes, those 5 friends I told which map I made really made a difference in the voting...specially when some had already voted.

My family on CC consist of one person. Those few people I talked to are people I talk to everyday and some of them had already voted. There wasn't any mass pm and It wasn't like go vote for my map, it was go vote for what you like.. but believe whatever stories you want to to make you think your map would have actually won.
I didn't even vote for myself, I voted for a friend. This contest really wasn't that big of a deal for me, I had turned my map in almost two weeks before it was even due...but alright.

Don't say shit about me when you don't even know how things went.

Take it down if that's what everyone thinks..
Tish, you even PM'd me to ask for my vote. As for how many people you lobbied, well we just have your word on that. My suggestion, if implemented, would remove all doubt, and would not require that we take anyone for their word. It would also bring in a wider group of likes and dis-likes. It would be a more representative election. Or do you think that 115 people, (mostly all Foundry regulars), are representative of the general population of CC ?

I would wager my membership that If this poll was done as I suggest, It would have a much different outcome. ...PERIOD.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Tisha on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Tish, you even PM'd me to ask for my vote. As for how many people you lobbied, well we just have your word on that. My suggestion, if implemented, would remove all doubt, and would not require that we take anyone for their word. It would also bring in a wider group of likes and dis-likes. It would be a more representative election. Or do you think that 115 people, (mostly all Foundry regulars), are representative of the general population of CC ?

I have NEVER pmed you about this, in fact, I don't think I have ever pmed you about anything. You can f*ck off now, you're pathetic!

maybe if you focused on one map you could have came up with something that would have been some competition.
Major Tisha

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Tisha wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Tish, you even PM'd me to ask for my vote. As for how many people you lobbied, well we just have your word on that. My suggestion, if implemented, would remove all doubt, and would not require that we take anyone for their word. It would also bring in a wider group of likes and dis-likes. It would be a more representative election. Or do you think that 115 people, (mostly all Foundry regulars), are representative of the general population of CC ?

I have NEVER pmed you about this, in fact, I don't think I have ever pmed you about anything. You can f*ck off now, you're pathetic!

maybe if you focused on one map you could have came up with something that would have been some competition.
Oh pardon me. It was Isaiah, not you that PM'd me. Sorry about that. But that does not change my mind about anything. My point is still valid. 115 voters is too small of a group to be not susceptible to rigging.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Are you serious? Tisha had the best map... And yes I entered but Tisha's map won fair and square... Stop being so sore about things. Your map was different, but not for everybody. Move on already.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions