Conquer Club

AOS: Transsib 1914 <v16>

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AOS: Transsib 1914 <v16> updates pg1

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks MrB.

To everyone else, I'll elaborate on my previous post... I'm sorry if anyone feels that their feedback hasn't been listened enough, but based on what I've noticed on my previous beta periods... sometimes, when updates pile up, there comes a point where you just have to draw a line and say "ok, no more changes until these ones are uploaded". You don't want to make too many changes at once, especially when there are things that are hard to tell without the map being in play, whether they are necessary/beneficial or not.

So we're going to run with this version for now, and if any problems come up... well, we'll burn that bridge when we cross it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

MrBenn wrote:Just waiting on the turtle to wave his wand

/forward 100

Is this a Logo programming language reference I see before me?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby owenshooter on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 am

bit of confusion in a match i just played... we all assumed finland could attack st. pete's... visually, it seems as if it could... is this the proper place to post this sort of thing?-the black jesus
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Riskismy on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29 am

I don't think that's a problem. Honestly, you guys just didn't think it through. After all, you can't attack from Moscow territory to St. P. either. Stations are attacked from the territory beneath them, this is true over all of the map.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 am

owenshooter wrote:bit of confusion in a match i just played... we all assumed finland could attack st. pete's... visually, it seems as if it could... is this the proper place to post this sort of thing?-the black jesus

Yes, it's the proper place. I'm sorry for the confusion you experienced.

I've thought that generally, the idea that stations only assault the territory they are in is pretty well established withing the range of CC maps... starting from Vancouver, where (I think) stations within a standard geographical map were first implemented.

Granted, in Vancouver, it is explicitly stated in the legend... however in the previous map of the series, Orient Express, I didn't state it in the legend, and I don't remember that we would have heard any reports of people experiencing confusion about the issue... which is why it hasn't been stated explicitly here either. :-k

Do you think this is a one-time occurence or does this cause confusion to more players? If the situation warrants it I could add a short text to the legend explaining that stations only connect to the territory they are in.

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 pm

The same is true in NYC (an older map than Vancouver) and it also spells out the rules about attacks into and out of stations in its legend.

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:13 pm

Ok then... so I guess there's really ample precedent of mentioning it in the legend... but at what point does a map feature become so common that it requires less of an explanation?

Look at the oldest CC maps, some of them explain some things very explicitly, things that newer maps explain in much fewer words if they bother explaining at all... for example, arms race explains it's killer neutrals very thoroughly, stating that the territories become neutral if held at the start of your turn... While lots of newer maps simply state that "resets to neutral". Ok, maybe a bad example, since we do still get some complainst about killer neutrals not being explained, but most of the playerbase already knows the killer neutral feature so well that further explanations aren't needed, and maps with short explanations are accepted...

A better example might be Dustbowl... it states explicitly that all territories lose 1 troop per turn, until they are down to 1... While pretty much all newer maps with decays simply state "territories lose 1 troop per turn", and players usually know how they work.

So I guess I'm just wondering, are the stations not yet at that point in "familiarity" to the CC players where they can be left unexplained? I've been thinking that they are, but I've been known to be wrong about some things... sometimes... ;)

Anyway, if you guys think it's needed, I can add it on the map legend. Should it also be added to Orient Express? I'm not sure if I have the layered images for it anymore, but a simple text addition should be possible without them...

Postby owenshooter on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

i understand rail stations, etc... i think the issue is the super tiny line between st. pete's and finland. we all just assumed one could attack the other... just an observation, and it was everyone involved in the match, not just me... i like the changes on the first page...-musta jesus
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:04 pm

owenshooter wrote:i understand rail stations, etc... i think the issue is the super tiny line between st. pete's and finland. we all just assumed one could attack the other... just an observation, and it was everyone involved in the match, not just me... i like the changes on the first page...-musta jesus

Ah, now I see. Yeah, I could move the Karelia/Finland border north a bit, maybe that would help?

Oh, and the changes on the 1st page have already been implemented. Also, the stations all start as neutral 2:s now, which should make them a bit more useful in team games...

Postby owenshooter on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:12 am

natty_dread wrote:
owenshooter wrote:i understand rail stations, etc... i think the issue is the super tiny line between st. pete's and finland. we all just assumed one could attack the other... just an observation, and it was everyone involved in the match, not just me... i like the changes on the first page...-musta jesus

Ah, now I see. Yeah, I could move the Karelia/Finland border north a bit, maybe that would help?

Oh, and the changes on the 1st page have already been implemented. Also, the stations all start as neutral 2:s now, which should make them a bit more useful in team games...

EXACTLY!!! yes, i would even try this map again...-musta jesus
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby natty dread on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Ok, here's the border update. I hope it's better now...

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:23 am

Let's wait a bit if any more input comes in, if not, then we'll just upload these latest images.

Re: AOS: Transsib 1914 <v16>

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:32 pm

The updated images have been sent to lack, which should mean this should be out of beta soon, unless any further issues are raised.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

MrBenn wrote:The updated images have been sent to lack, which should mean this should be out of beta soon, unless any further issues are raised.

Nice... thanks! :)

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:44 am

:!: Last call: Anything else to change? :!:
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 am

I think this is ready for quench. It's been weeks without any complaints, and I'm satisfied with the gameplay as it is now.

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:00 am

Here, here!! Game play is pretty balanced IMO.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Transsiberian Rail 1914 Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations natty_dread, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Congratulations, natty! Woo-hoo, and whoo-whoo! (Chugga-chugga-chugga)

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:24 pm

:)

thanks

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Congratulations natty!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Congrats, natty!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm

It was pointed out to me that this map looks blurry, and I agree.

I rummaged around my hard drive and managed to find the original layered files of the map. Now, I don't want to do an actual revamp on this, but I figured it would help somewhat to redraw the borders.

Nothing else is changed, only the borders are redrawn. Can these be uploaded?

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:39 pm

and just like that the map is vastly improved.
as long as the borders keep the same connections i can't see why this should not be uploaded.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:46 pm

DiM wrote:and just like that the map is vastly improved.

And it didn't even take me more than 15 minutes! :mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas