Conquer Club

[PC] Average Wait / Response Time

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Should we place an Average Wait Time on each person's wall?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes : 32

Postby MIV on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 pm

joeyjordison wrote:wouldn't really work. say i go to bed and i don't have any turns to take then some1 takes their turn and its mine. its then 12 hours till i can take my turns... it just wouldn't work. sometimes this happens on every turn in a game because of time zones as said before

You guys are making the time zone issue way larger than it is. I bet I'd keep my average time down to less than 10 h / turn even if I played the absolutly worst thinkable games with players deliberately "setting me up", lol.

The issue is not time zones, but the style of playing. Say a player takes part in 10 games. In average all those "fast" games with suitable time zones would make a much larger impact. Why?

Look at the slow game I was reffering to. How many round is that? 6! rounds and we are now 1 day short of a week in a 4! player game where 92% of the time is spent by 2 players.

Well even if this was a time zone issue .. guess what, these players have played 6 turns (if they really are a bit faster, but happends to sleep 16h / day exactly at the wrong time, and at various times .. yes even then), they will in those other say 10 games have played 3 times as many turns in every one of those, so theire averages becomes 2,4 h / turn instead of 2, because of this unlucky game.

.. however the topic isn't a great priority of mine. The lacking validity of the counter arguments, is however :wink:
Major MIV

Postby MIV on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:56 pm

max is gr8 wrote:You should create private games then you'll be happy you only invite people who you know play quickly
It isn't a need other features deserve to come first

.. first I need a premium membership . ok I've got that, but I find it fair others have the same oportunity.

.. and guess what they allready do .. in these public games you claim as a fact are open to players spending 24 h / turn.

.. well not really, the ignore function allows the same "discrimination" of slow players to occour, but hidden. You'll never know why you weren't able to join the game someone invited you to. You can't even see it is there, because I've joined it and because I think you are to slow you are on my ignore list.

I'm cutting it on the edge here of course.
Major MIV

Postby Aries on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:12 pm

Quite a grand idea ol' chap :D I'll put it on Lack's to-do list, considering I'm a mod 8)
Lieutenant Aries

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Aries wrote:Quite a grand idea ol' chap :D I'll put it on Lack's to-do list, considering I'm a mod 8)

Aries, I'm closer to being a mod than you are.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Aries on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't spam as much as you. *thpppppppptttttttttt!!*

But I will someday 8)

And I am a mod, I'll even quote Lack:

lackattack wrote: Aries, you are now a mod!
Lieutenant Aries

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:23 pm

Really? Cause I found thisā€¦
lackattack wrote::lol: I just told Aries that he could be a mod. Poor bastard doesn't know that I want to ban him :lol: :idea: I know! I'll take away all but one of his points! :D O and hecter, my king, I'll try to make Spamalot official soon okay :D

Good thing that I managed to convince him not to ban you, or to take away any of your points. But, I am sorry, you're still not mod.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Aries on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Look, I have proof he said that, even have the link right here:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15692&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

What you said was just made up, everyone knows that, but I have proof! :D
Lieutenant Aries

Postby hecter on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:34 pm

Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Aries on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:38 pm

Exactly, he just admitted that Lack made me a mod! He said my proof looks nicer, as in of my proof, and he just made it look nicer :D
Lieutenant Aries

Postby AK_iceman on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Spam in the off-topics, but keep it out of the suggestions forum.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Average time per turn (suggestion)

Postby Dwayne on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:00 pm

I'd like to see how long, on average, it takes a users to take a turn. I'd also like to be able to look at a game I want to join and see the cumulative average time each round is expected to take if alls players hold to their average per round. I know the casual games are 24 hours,per turn, but geez, if there are 6 player and 4 of them always take the full 24 hours I get bored.
Sergeant Dwayne

Postby mitchmitch11 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:49 pm

good idea but if that is too hard then at least the guy who makes the league should be able to set the amount of time per turn. Like from 10-24hours that way people who still want a quick game can pay for the 5 minute game. But it will speed up all the games a little at least.
Corporal mitchmitch11

Postby walkingpligrim on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:25 am

Yes we need 12 hour turn Games
Corporal walkingpligrim

Re: Average time per turn (suggestion)

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:27 am

Dwayne wrote:,......... but geez, if there are 6 player and 4 of them always take the full 24 hours I get bored.

then get primiun and either play in as many games as you liek, or set only private games with people who do not take 24 hours to play

just a remainder, but some people actually need to sleep, so a 12 hour turn is way to likely to conflict with real life
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Geoff_with_a_G on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:50 am

walkingpligrim wrote:Yes we need 12 hour turn Games

12 hours turns would cause a lot more players to accidentally miss their turns if the players are in very diffferent time zones - like on the other side of the wold
Captain Geoff_with_a_G

Average time to take a turn in the wall

Postby giuppichan on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:18 am

Concise description:
I would like displayed the average time a player takes for a making a turn

Specifics/Details:
the average would be made on the casual games only. the speed game average could be shown a part

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
1- you could have a better idea about when it's going to be your next turn
2- members will try to reduce this average, giving players a better experience
3 - you could avoid to start games with players which are not in line with your expected response time
Lieutenant giuppichan

Re: Average time to take a turn in the wall

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am

Unless someone is a really new player, this won't show much of anything. We all have real lives (most of us anyway ;) ). There are many times when I start a game, play it quickly and am done. There are times when I intend to do that... but life intervenes. AND there are plenty of times when I take my "turn a day" and that's it.

An average in this instance is not informative. Further, is it even what we really and truly want as a goal? I know it is frustrating to wait for turns, especially when you can only play 4 games. However, that is what this site is, a casual gaming site.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby giuppichan on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 am

You are right, still there are people checking the site and playing all their games 3-4 times a day and others one only.
I am not saying who is going to have an high average is going to be better or worse of somebody with a low average.
It's going to be an indication of what you could expect, that's all.
Lieutenant giuppichan

Postby Caymanmew on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 am

giuppichan wrote:You are right, still there are people checking the site and playing all their games 3-4 times a day and others one only.
I am not saying who is going to have an high average is going to be better or worse of somebody with a low average.

no true
for example me

over the summer i play up to 10 times more games and i take my turn within hours normally
currently i have only about 10 games and wait for the clock to run low and take it then sometimes even with 10-20 minutes to go so my average would be good but that not what you be getting if you played me
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

giuppichan wrote:You are right, still there are people checking the site and playing all their games 3-4 times a day and others one only.

The problem is if you join games with this expectation and then they don't follow through for whatever reason, will you be dissapointed? Obviously, yes.

We already have a group that, for example, think a 1 vs 1 game or a freestyle game "must" be a "real time" game and who then rate people poorly (or are jerks) when it doesn't happen.

If you want a quick game, the best thing is to go to callouts. Then you can be reasonably certain the person/people at least intend to play quickly.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby giuppichan on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 am

basically you both are saying that this is not an accurate measure, and I agree with you about this.

its usage should not be to build up special expectations or to classify players.

However on average for various players could be meaningful - I mean, better than nothing

somebody please reinforce my proposal, I cannot last longer 2vs1!!!!
Lieutenant giuppichan

Postby megadeaf on Mon May 23, 2011 4:33 pm

As a newcomer to CC already discouraged by countless deadbeats and once-a-day players, I am in full support of Average Time statistics - perhaps average, mean, and median to give more insight.

Even if not a perfect reflection, it would be a useful tool (among others) to help choose opponents and fellow players.
Sergeant 1st Class megadeaf

Postby IcePack on Mon May 23, 2011 4:58 pm

I see no value or usefulness of this info, but if someone wants it I don't care if it's displayed.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby greenoaks on Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

this goes against the concept of the site being for casual players

if you are concerned about about how long it takes for someone to take their turns, play speed games
Sergeant greenoaks

Place an "Average Wait Time" on each persons wall[Poll]

Postby Crazy Frog on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Place an "Average Wait Time" on each persons wall...

Place an "Average Lag Time" on each persons wall...

This will give the following information on the player: When the persons turn is up on games... how long does it generally take for the person to respond to the game and make their move???

Some players just do all of their moves at their one and only time on the computer every day... Ok.. Fine. Lets say that rating for one person would be would be "Average Wait time 23:15"
A person who usually checks in and does thier moves 3-4 times per day or more... would then have a much smaller Average Wait Time...

If a person does speed games however those games should NOT be counted in with the average Wait time... as 5min games would mess up the results of the normal 24 game wait times that are the target of this.

Why do I think this is necessary or advisable?
It is a compliment to the % of turns taken ratings for us to know not only how many of their turns they were on time with.. but...
We would now know how fast the Person is about taking their turns... (Or how slow they are)

When choosing to play team games etc... I am much more interested in playing with people who I know will be there and check in on games fairly often... there is no serious delays with people like that...
But on games with people who move only... ONLY 1 Time per day... and never any faster... The whole game can be moving along really good and then STOP for 24 hours. If you have several people in a game with that sort of record.. an 8 player game can take a week for R-1... I would not join that game knowing in advance that it is a game full of people with the casual 23-24 hour rating...
This idea would not Prevent delays... But it would give you a good heads up on whether you should Join a game or not... and also... in a game you are allready in, you can look at the players rating and think... "do I wait up a few more minutesor go on to bed and check it in the morning..."

More advanced ideas of this... would be to have Pre-game screens based upon players Wait time scores... Choosing games with people who play with the same type of attitude that you do...
Ok.. What think ye?
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions