Conquer Club

Baltic States [3/10] V33 P34 Beta!!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States: Version 3 Pg 2

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:The parchment effect is neat, but the image on the parchment looks awfully computerized for such a primitive media, if that makes sense. In addition, if these are modern boundaries, why are ou making it look "old school"?

Anyway, not that these graphical concerns have to be addressed with right away, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on the issue now since you posted it. Keep up the good work, Bruce!

Yeah I am gonna ditch the parchment for the most part...
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby amazzony on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:01 am

You know I will be keeping a close eye on this map, especially on Estonia. Don't know how much help I can be but I might drive you nuts with my rants and nitpicking 8-[

Have you thought how you want to name the regions (counties/cities/something else)? It is probably one of the few things that I can help you with so just thought to bring it up. I'm not that familiar with Latvian/Lithuanian so don't know how created the territories but I noticed that for Estonia you used counties. As I understand, you have 2 possibilities here - use the county name or the "capital" city that each county has; which in some cases actually match. Let me know if I can provide some info about that.

Good looking map so far! I wish you the strenght to go through with it, especially as this is probably the closest map of Estonia I will see on this site!

amazzony

P.S. You know where my wall is and it is opened 24/7 :lol:
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am

As for gameplay, I'd like to see some variation from the standard model. Nothing too complex, maybe just an additional collection bonus of some kind in addition to the standard bonus areas...?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby amazzony on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm

natty_dread wrote:As for gameplay, I'd like to see some variation from the standard model. Nothing too complex, maybe just an additional collection bonus of some kind in addition to the standard bonus areas...?

I posted this about the other Baltic States map that was started but never finished: Via Baltica. This could be the extra something though there might be other things also that I haven't thought about.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:53 pm

natty_dread wrote:As for gameplay, I'd like to see some variation from the standard model. Nothing too complex, maybe just an additional collection bonus of some kind in addition to the standard bonus areas...?

I am fairly sure I want this to be straight up. Nothing other than regular bonuses. No capitols, no objectives or nothing else other than a classic style map.

@ amazzony .... I am working on the territory names, but will need help with bonus names.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Bruceswar wrote:I am fairly sure I want this to be straight up. Nothing other than regular bonuses. No capitols, no objectives or nothing else other than a classic style map.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider. But then that's probably just my personal preference speaking.

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm really liking this map, Bruceswar.

I really liked the old school map you had going, the parchment type thing. But I do understand why you're scrapping it, with it being a modern-day representation of the area. Maybe you could do something to show that it's modern, with the map, I mean. I don't really have any ideas here, as my creative side is sorely lacking.

Liking it so far though. Best of luck with it!
Major tkr4lf

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:I am fairly sure I want this to be straight up. Nothing other than regular bonuses. No capitols, no objectives or nothing else other than a classic style map.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider. But then that's probably just my personal preference speaking.

That would be correct, just your personal opinion. If you look at the most played maps on CC, you will notice they are the simple maps. That is what most of CC likes (including me). This is how I wish to take this map.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:17 am

Bruceswar wrote:That would be correct, just your personal opinion. If you look at the most played maps on CC, you will notice they are the simple maps. That is what most of CC likes (including me). This is how I wish to take this map.

Simple but not necessarily standard. You're right that there's a lot of popular standard gameplay maps. But that's the thing, there's a lot of them. And there can only be so many standard gameplay maps until they start to repeat themselves...

Ok, this is again just my opinion, but since you brought it up... I don't see much reason to make standard gameplay maps anymore. What's the point of having a 100 standard gameplay maps where the only difference is the location, and some slight differences in bonus areas and borders? I, personally, feel that all new maps should offer something new and different in the gameplay department, because otherwise they're just another Classic map with new skins and bonuses rearranged a bit.

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 am

natty_dread wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:That would be correct, just your personal opinion. If you look at the most played maps on CC, you will notice they are the simple maps. That is what most of CC likes (including me). This is how I wish to take this map.

Simple but not necessarily standard. You're right that there's a lot of popular standard gameplay maps. But that's the thing, there's a lot of them. And there can only be so many standard gameplay maps until they start to repeat themselves...

Ok, this is again just my opinion, but since you brought it up... I don't see much reason to make standard gameplay maps anymore. What's the point of having a 100 standard gameplay maps where the only difference is the location, and some slight differences in bonus areas and borders? I, personally, feel that all new maps should offer something new and different in the gameplay department, because otherwise they're just another Classic map with new skins and bonuses rearranged a bit.

Sure a new skin and or new bonuses, but for the same token it is a totally different strategy to each map. Brazil does not play the same as Classic, which does not play the same as Hong Kong. There is room for both types of maps and I am sure people are happy to see both types coming out. Variety is the spice of life :D
Corporal Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States: Version 4 Pg 3 Name Help please!

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 am

Click image to enlarge.

I need help with the names of some of these places. If you know any or can help please post. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 am

So to follow up

Is Estonia all correct?
Is Lithuania all correct?

For Latvia I need help with
Lat 1
Lat 2
Lat 3
Lat 4
Lat 5
Lat 6
Lat 9
Lat 10
Lat 12
Lat 13
Lat 19
Lat 22

Also confirming the rest are correct.

Now for the bonus names, I am open to ideas as to what they should be called. I took a look at the previous attempt only to find out they are the same as mine. Any ideas?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby amazzony on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 am

I must admit that I have no idea how you picked territory names for Estonia so here are my suggestions (center cities of the counties you have picked as territories):

Emmaste -> KƤrdla
Leisi -> Kuressaare

Noarootsi -> Haapsalu
Lihula -> Rapla
Oru -> PƤrnu

Toila -> Rakvere
Vaivara -> Narva
Maidla -> Paide
Illuka -> JƵgeva
Kullamaa -> Viljandi

Ahja -> Tartu
MikitamƤe -> PƵlva
Kanepi -> Valga
VƤrska -> VƵru

And, all the wiggly thingies on top of known letters actually are important because they are totally new letters :ugeek:
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 am

amazzony wrote:I must admit that I have no idea how you picked territory names for Estonia so here are my suggestions (center cities of the counties you have picked as territories):

Emmaste -> KƤrdla
Leisi -> Kuressaare

Noarootsi -> Haapsalu
Lihula -> Rapla
Oru -> PƤrnu

Toila -> Rakvere
Vaivara -> Narva
Maidla -> Paide
Illuka -> JƵgeva
Kullamaa -> Viljandi

Ahja -> Tartu
MikitamƤe -> PƵlva
Kanepi -> Valga
VƤrska -> VƵru

And, all the wiggly thingies on top of known letters actually are important because they are totally new letters :ugeek:

Thanks! I used the previous version's names(the map makers attempt before mine), which I had no clue if they were right or not. I will make the changes in my next update.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby amazzony on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 am

Sure thing :)

One more thing - there was another attempt on Baltic States where I also tried to help with bonus names. Found the post about Latvian names (here). Sadly the map is not available anymore so it's hard to understand where the Latvian names should actually be but if you are in no hurry then I can work the Latvian names for your map too (as I have a bunch of names already, just need to make sure where they fit on your map).
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:22 am

amazzony wrote:Sure thing :)

One more thing - there was another attempt on Baltic States where I also tried to help with bonus names. Found the post about Latvian names (here). Sadly the map is not available anymore so it's hard to understand where the Latvian names should actually be but if you are in no hurry then I can work the Latvian names for your map too (as I have a bunch of names already, just need to make sure where they fit on your map).

There is no rush from me. The names can be changed easy.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Wish I could help on the names but I little outside of the capital cities.

One thing I do wish to suggest is that you use a thicker border line to denote the subregions to a specific country... Lithuania is the biggest offender.

Perhaps use an even thicker border line for each country? Though, to be honest, they're pretty different as is.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 pm

That beings us to another point... City names or region names? Which to use and why?
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby theBastard on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 am

nice looking map. and also nice simple gameplay. just some points:
1, did you thought about rivers as impassable? there are several important rivers in Baltic area. why rivers? there are not any mountains and you also do not need trees...
2, the bonuses are fine, just there could be also "continental" bonuses - all Estonia, all Lithuania, all Latvia
3, about names for territories, it looks that you have only Estonia divided correctly (I mean as original regions are now in real life :) ). look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Lithuania http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administra ... _of_Latvia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Estonia

each country has different regions, different dividing. so here is question - could you have regions as original or you will create yours own regions? if you will create yours own the names could be better by towns, I think...
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 am

1. I will be adding in rivers

2. I thought about that also, but possible too much for this map. I will think on this more.

3. I hope you do realize all those places would never fit. ;) With that being said, I think many other maps look like mine as far as diving the map up.

Thanks for post!
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am

Bruceswar wrote:That beings us to another point... City names or region names? Which to use and why?

I go with a region name if its available, but sometime the city is the best thing to name a region after if you're using the region name elsewhere. So, for example, if you broke a big region in two pieces you could name one after the actual region name and the other after the nearest large city.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am

You should submit a design brief.

Postby amazzony on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Bruceswar wrote:That beings us to another point... City names or region names? Which to use and why?

If Latvia and Lithuania would have "correct" regions (i.e. regions on the map like they are in real life then I would suggest to use the region names). But, as you can't do that (it would be insane to have either 5 or ~100 regions for Latvia, if I remember correctly looking at the real life map) then I would suggest using city names as it's easier to determine biggest city in the region rather than decide what regions are more/less important in there or how you drew the borders exactly. And, for the sake of unity, in my opinion, you should use regions for two countries and cities for the third one.
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby theBastard on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

it seems that you have correct regions of Estonia and also of Lithuania, so you can go with original regions names.
here are as they are and with names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Lithuania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Estonia

about Latvia, maybe you could go with this and divide some regions (norht Kurzeme/south Kurzeme, east Zemgale/west Zemgale...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planning_regions_of_Latvia

if not, I agree with amazzony.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby MrBenn on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm glad to see somebody pick up a map of The Baltics; there was a reasonable draft that somebody started once before, but it never ended up going anywhere - I'm assuming you're looked up the old thread?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas