Conquer Club

Max number of troops on each territory....

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Suggestion:Option to limit the number of troops per square

Postby Irather Nottell on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84778

Read over this thread and add something to it if you can, maybe this will happen some day. ;)
Lieutenant Irather Nottell

Re: Max number of troops on each territory....

Postby Irather Nottell on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:19 am

I noticed this was request by another player in a separate thread...

and to add to the convo:

How is strategy enhanced by limiting the number of choices you have?

I would ask you to look at games with adjacent fort vs. unlimited fort. Which style requires more strategy and planning? I sat adjacent, and I would bet most people agree....and adjacent fort clearly has much fewer choices than unlimited.
Lieutenant Irather Nottell

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:42 pm

kcoenich wrote:how often does a change for a 1000 troops happen?? or a 100? I dont know... I'm sure its pretty rare...

no, almost every bloody game if you play feudal 5 or 6 man in the fog. as for this making the game more strategy than luck, you are a fool. you have to take the cards into account in your strategy, a fact you clearly haven't picked up on yet if you think that coming back from one ter is an undeserved win.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby GallantPellham on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 pm

kcoenich wrote:Well... the way I see it is that 20 vs 20 (or max number vs max number) is much more exciting than say 54 vs 19... plus it would be an option, not an absolute rule...

Plus, Strategy is the best part of the game, so the more strategy you put on the game, the better it gets... believe me, you feel a looot better when you win a 20 vs 20 battle than winning a battle of 65 vs 30, that outcome is absolutely obvious.

the object of the game is to have prepared to have that 65 vs 30 advantage, it don't happen by accident, it's just another ploy to have the player who is taking a whipping to prolong a game and extend the game with the inevitable outcome of taking your ass whipping.
Captain GallantPellham

Postby TotoroHat on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

I MAY BE IN THE WRONG WITH THIS SUGGESTION BUT WHAT IF WE MADE IT SO THAT AFTER THE ROUND IS OVER ALL TERRITS. WITH TROOP NUMBERS OVER 20 (OR WHATEVER THE MAX NUMBER IS SET TO) ARE REDUCED TO 20. IF YOU CASH IN OR HAVE A TROOP DEPLOYMENT NUMBER OVER 20 YOU CAN STILL DEPLOY THEM... IT'S JUST THAT WHEN THE ROUND ENDS IF YOU HAVE NOT SPREAD THEM OUT YOU SCREWED YOURSELF OVER.

ANYWHOO.... I LOVE THIS OPTION.... WILL PLAY THIS IF WE SAY YES TO IT.
Private TotoroHat

Postby jefjef on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 pm

NO
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Maximum 12 Armies on any 1 Country

Postby Craig25 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 am

As it says, some rule versions in one of the older games gave this as an option in the rules. I suggest an option in the set up as it makes games more strategic.
Major Craig25

Re: Maximum 12 Armies on any 1 Country

Postby Thezzaruz on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am

Finally found the forums eh. Welcome.

This has been suggested before but I don't remember the exact reason atm.

Personally I wouldn't use this option as it restricts a valid (albeit boring) strategy of hoarding troops for a well timed push. Also it detracts from being able to use the bonuses you collect (and the attackers advantage) fully on some maps and on some maps it would just not work at all (due to them being built for big number armies).

But by all means discuss it (have a search in the old suggs if you like). You might get more support now or be able to use it as inspiration for new maps or something.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Halmir on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Most of the more interesting games I've been in feature stacks way above twelve. Is there much fun to be had in breaking a front line of 12 only to find that everywhere else has 12 armies on it? I'm not convinced. If you can only have 12 at the start of the attack even with cards, this will just promote stalemates.

The more I think about it, the worse it gets...
Lieutenant Halmir

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:20 pm

This would never work on a couple of maps and settings. What happens if you are down to one territory on Escalating and you cash a group of say 30? You lose the 18 troops?

Also take into hand maps like Fuedal War/Epic, AoR 1/2/3, Hive, etc. How would those maps work?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby greenoaks on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Craig25 wrote:As it says, some rule versions in one of the older games gave this as an option in the rules. I suggest an option in the set up as it makes games more strategic.

you'd have a better chance at removing Escalating as a game option
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby firsal901 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 pm

12 vs 12 is actually 11 vs 12 because 1 unit must stay behind
Cook firsal901

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:13 am

I really don't see this suggestion going through. There are too many maps and settings that this could not work on, and would complicate games that go stalemate. So I am moving this to Rejected
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

How to limit stacking

Postby nebsmith on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I see a lot of people - I'm one of them - find games in which players just stack round after round uninteresting. Here is a simple idea to stop unlimited stacking.

My inspiration for this is the board game.
In then board game there are a limited number of armies in the box, the same amount of each colour. When there are no armies of your colour left you get no reinforcements until you lose some men.

I can think of a couple of ways this could be used as a new game type.

1)The army limit is a multiple of the number of territories on the map

2)The army limit is a set amount

For (1) maybe the person setting up the game could choose the multiple from an allowed range

For (2) there could be a number of options for whoever sets up the game eg, 200, 500, 1000 or maybe just choose a number between an upper and lower limit.

This is a straightforward way to set an upper limit on a players armies. It would also lead to a situation where all players became increasingly nervous as someone neared the limit and had to attack.

I realise the situation is different in fog where you don't know how many troops your opponents have. Which could make you even more nervous, because somebody, soon, will have to attack. But you could get a rough idea from their reinforcements and how many attacks they are making.
Though I can imagine being a player in a no spoils fog game, approaching the army limit and realising that if you don't do something two things will happen. First everyone will see your reinforcements drop and if you have lost no territories, or bonuses, will know how many troops you have. Second, everyone else will start to narrow the gap on your troop count.

So fog or not, I think this will promote a more attacking style of gameplay and lead to some new stategic considerations
Sergeant nebsmith

Re: How to limit stacking

Postby sniffie on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 pm

hi,

Although your suggestion is a nice idea, I am doubtfull about it; Game 1000001, I understand this game is unique. but it points out that games like those are "threated badly" by this option. In other words, how would you make difference between a player that has a balance between attacking/defending and a "stacking" player?

sniff
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Postby khazalid on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

great idea. might even make some people give flat /ns another try.
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby nebsmith on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm

der sniffter wrote:hi,

Although your suggestion is a nice idea, I am doubtfull about it; Game 1000001, I understand this game is unique. but it points out that games like those are "threated badly" by this option. In other words, how would you make difference between a player that has a balance between attacking/defending and a "stacking" player?

sniff

In reply
If a player just stacks at some point they will reach the upper limit of armies, and they could just sit taking zero reinfocements hoping the other players will kill each other off. If this doesn't happen an active player will gain more territories and the reinfocements to replace losses and their position will improve while the stacking players won't. at some point the player stacking will have to make a move or lose.
and while "move or lose" may eventually be the case in a game with unlimited stacking. With total troop limits the point is reached sooner and players who stay out of any fight hoping to mop up are going to have fewer troops, than in an unlimited game, to try this.
I am in a number of games that are down to 3 players and an attack that significantly weakens 1 player, probably hands the game to the 3rd player. I think that with limited troop numbers attacking becomes more likley because the player not attacked has less chance to sweep the board.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby sniffie on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 am

hi,

I still think this is a nice idea but I'm doubtfull it will ever happen. Every players has the right to play his own game/strategy as long as it is within the rules of CC. A player that only stacks has all the right to do so, wheter another player likes it or not.

sniff

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 am

I have seen quite a few limit stacks proposals. upkeep ect ect..
this one is simple, however small maps don't really suffer from stacking, large maps have so many troops on them, it is hardly worth it at all...
I do like the simplicity, might see it come true, but at the moment the idea is not ready yet to be implemented
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby General Brock II on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:54 am

You can't limit stacking... Stacking is crucial in any portion of the game - besides, what occurs when the cashes grow to 60 or seventy men? Unless you're talking of preventing stack of over 200, then it's a ludicrous concept.
Captain General Brock II

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 am

this proposal caps the total amount of troops on the board, so you can have one stack of 200 or 5 of 40.. of something along those lines
Major SirSebstar

Postby JoshyBoy on Sun May 01, 2011 5:30 pm

This idea is pure bullshit. If you don't want to stack, then don't. And don't start whining about it trying to take away one aspect of Conquer Club. Pure bullshit.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby SirSebstar on Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am

lol
joshyboy, i think the idea is how to limit that others cannot stack...

still the idea has inherent flaws, slightly appealing to me, but flawed. So it needs work before it can be considered functional.

e.g. how to deal with large/ small maps.
escalating cards ect ect
Major SirSebstar

Postby sniffie on Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 pm

SirSebstar wrote:lol
joshyboy, i think the idea is how to limit that others cannot stack...

still the idea has inherent flaws, slightly appealing to me, but flawed. So it needs work before it can be considered functional.

e.g. how to deal with large/ small maps.
escalating cards ect ect

the only thing I can add is, how are you going to fix the problem with escalating??

sniff

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 am

I like this idea. It has to be an option at game set up not a general rule, so that if people like "infinite stack" they won't start or join an "army limit" game, just as you can avoid foggy or nuclear by simply not playing them.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions