Conquer Club

Doctor Who appreciation thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Doctor Who appreciation thread

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Not sure how many in-roads this series has made around the world, but the new series just started. Thought I'd fish and see if anyone else wants to share the love.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Doctor Who appreciation thread

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

f*ck yes, Doctor Who is great. Obligatory question: any theories on River Song's identity?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 pm

InkL0sed wrote:f*ck yes, Doctor Who is great. Obligatory question: any theories on River Song's identity?

There's an episode coming up by Neil Gaiman called "The Doctor's Wife" , but they're all being very closed lipped about it. Neil Gaiman plus Doctor Who is just bait for me.

She's clearly hiding a lot of stuff, and the screamer line was a bit disturbing in a show that kids watch, but I guess it passes over their heads.

My theory- she's not the doctor's wife, but he'll be steadily more attracted to her as he goes through his timeline, and at the last point he meets her he'll sweep her off her feet, and that will be the first time she meets him, and her timeline will be a steady set of points where he's less interested in her until the last time she meets him, and the first time he meets her- in the Library episodes.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

I remember Dr. Who when it was on late night weekends back in the early 80's on PBS. It was cool but I think the show had a mind-f*ck aspect to it. Or else it was just really cool to watch on acid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0TEmJEjUSY
Major Phatscotty

Postby pimpdave on Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

FYI

http://shop.zappies.com/toys/dr-who-ride-in-dalek.html

I doubt either of my nephews would play with it for more than a day and would probably be made fun of by other kids. No one watches Dr. Who and turns to their sibling to say, "Gee, I'd love to be a Dalek. Let's go outside and play Daleks! EXTERMINATE ALL HUMANS".

I have fond memories of watching it with my sister as a kid but I haven't seen it in years. Is it worth it to try and get back into it? If so, how many seasons (or series, whatever) back should I go to start from? I've seen pieces of episodes in the last couple years, but it looks like the kind of thing you should be following rather than just catching an episode here and there.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 8:43 pm

pimpdave wrote:FYI

http://shop.zappies.com/toys/dr-who-ride-in-dalek.html

I doubt either of my nephews would play with it for more than a day and would probably be made fun of by other kids. No one watches Dr. Who and turns to their sibling to say, "Gee, I'd love to be a Dalek. Let's go outside and play Daleks! EXTERMINATE ALL HUMANS".

I have fond memories of watching it with my sister as a kid but I haven't seen it in years. Is it worth it to try and get back into it? If so, how many seasons (or series, whatever) back should I go to start from? I've seen pieces of episodes in the last couple years, but it looks like the kind of thing you should be following rather than just catching an episode here and there.

Check out an episode called "Blink" if you can find it. It's probably the best of the new runs. Doctor Who is mostly episodic, although the conclusions of series tie things together, so you'll be fine as long as you get the basic concept and avoid the finales. But yeah- Blink is just a really clever episode and you don't need to know much to watch it.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, yeah, but that's not really a theory, that's pretty much just fact (beyond her not being the doctor's wife).

But who is she really? Just River Song? A former companion? The Rani? Amy's Time-Lord daughter?

Also, dave, definitely get back into it. The new series is great. It's also on Netflix through Season 4.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I remember Dr. Who when it was on late night weekends back in the early 80's on PBS. It was cool but I think the show had a mind-f*ck aspect to it. Or else it was just really cool to watch on acid.

I can see that- the original theme from way back in the sixties is sometimes named as one of the pioneers of electronic music.

Have a properly named link:
Every Doctor Who Theme from 1963-2010
:D
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Well, yeah, but that's not really a theory, that's pretty much just fact (beyond her not being the doctor's wife).

But who is she really? Just River Song? A former companion? The Rani? Amy's Time-Lord daughter?

Also, dave, definitely get back into it. The new series is great. It's also on Netflix through Season 4.

You forgot the doctor's two other daughters! The one from way back in the sixties, and the clone one from a few seasons ago.

I think we can rule them out on creepiness grounds based on her passionate kiss. That would be weird.

The Rani or even Romana would be a great nod to fans, but I don't see it happening.

Her story works for me on the basic grounds at the moment- just River Song, living the great love of her life back to front.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm

I have to agree, I don't think she's anyone we've seen before either. I have friends who think she has to be someone we know because there's too much backstory we'll have to see at some point otherwise, but I don't think that's such a problem.

(also, Susan is his granddaughter, not his daughter. I really want her to be in a spin-off with Jenny.)
Last edited by InkL0sed on Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Phatscotty on Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:I remember Dr. Who when it was on late night weekends back in the early 80's on PBS. It was cool but I think the show had a mind-f*ck aspect to it. Or else it was just really cool to watch on acid.

I can see that- the original theme from way back in the sixties is sometimes named as one of the pioneers of electronic music.

But THIS is the the fruit of that pioneering that took it Big-Time.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

But THIS is the the fruit of that pioneering that took it Big-Time.

I think I posted this before way back in the day, but this is a great site:
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

Warning though- it's an easy way to waste an hour. It's a family tree of all the genres of electronic music, with samples of how they build off each other. Some great descriptions too.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 pm

This dude was created in Dr. Who. I can't find any screen shots tho.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Image

This dude was created in Dr. Who. I can't find any screen shots tho.

Typical conservative race baiting. Carl Weathers was not created in a British science fiction series in the sixties simply to discredit conservative posters in this forum. But yes, you're right, if they'd simply released the screenshots years ago this would have gone away.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 02, 2011 12:15 am

Well, "the Doctor" could have answered the simple question, "who?" as long ago as 1963, or indeed travelled back to the creation of the Universe by the Intelligent Pre-Existing Energy and done so. What is taking him so long? Does he have something to hide?

*not sure I've capitalised enough random words there Comments, shieldgen?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby clapper011 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 am

I use to watch the older show, but never have watched the new one. doesnt look as good as the original (or should I say weird?) lol
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

I started watching the Doctor in the mid/late 70's(I would have watched it earlier, but I wasnt born) and the only time I have not watched it was when Sylvester McCoy was the in the deceptively large blue box.

On a related note, she was my first companion and I was saddened by her passing.

Oh...and 'Blink' is a must watch episode.
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby InkL0sed on Mon May 02, 2011 9:35 am

Blink is good, but really, just watch anything written by Moffat in the Davies era. My favorite episode is probably The Girl in the Fireplace.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby targetman377 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 am

i love doctor who!
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby Symmetry on Mon May 02, 2011 2:08 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Blink is good, but really, just watch anything written by Moffat in the Davies era. My favorite episode is probably The Girl in the Fireplace.

That's another one well worth seeing. Does this link work?
The Girl in the Fireplace part 1
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Ok, I finally got to watch the second episode of this season. This season is just blowing my mind! I loved Tennant's doctor, but Matt Smith is doing a great job with some phenomenal writing. Really looking forward to seeing what comes next. But I'm not looking forward to the long break right in the middle of the season!
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Symmetry on Sat May 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Just saw episode 3. I liked it, but not as much as the first two. Anyone see it yet? There's a fair amount that just didn't make sense to me, but I guess they can get away with it by now just on the grounds that it makes a more fun story.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 pm

It had good moments, but overall it was pretty poor. I kind of expected that, though.

Also, space pirates.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 09, 2011 12:14 am

Let me just say this: Tom Baker.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 am

Symmetry wrote:Just saw episode 3. I liked it, but not as much as the first two. Anyone see it yet? There's a fair amount that just didn't make sense to me, but I guess they can get away with it by now just on the grounds that it makes a more fun story.

I actually like episode 3. It was a return to the more light-hearted goofiness that makes Doctor Who so endearing. I did like the first two episodes this season a lot, but they left me feeling out of breath and full of questions. This one was just fun. It was kind of like the Christmas episode, particularly in the way it allowed Matt Smith's quirky humorous portrayal of the doctor to shine through. It definitely won't make it on a "best-of list," but it was a decent episode and a nice break from the first two weeks.

I have to say, I'm not looking forward to a 3-month gap between episodes 7 and 8!
Colonel Doc_Brown

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,