Conquer Club

Looking for Collaborator(s) for New Map

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Looking for Collaborator(s) for New Map

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

After powering through my first mapmaking process here and taking quite a few lumps along the way, for my next project I was wondering if anyone with a little more solid graphics background would like to collaborate with me. As I have a background in GIS I can easily put together all the base geography for a map quite easily using ArcView. It's when the map needs further polishing in Photoshop, etc. that my skills are lacking.

Anyway, just thought I would put this out there.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Re: Looking for Collaborator(s) for New Map

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

First off, you should have put this in the Melting Pot or better yet, Foundry Discussions ;)

Secondly, I think you shouldn't let the haters on your Quad Cities map get the best of you, that's a fine piece of work, if you ask me.

Thirdly, I'd be willing to help out with the gameplay and XML, but I'm no graphic designer, I'm afraid.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:First off, you should have put this in the Melting Pot or better yet, Foundry Discussions ;)

Secondly, I think you shouldn't let the haters on your Quad Cities map get the best of you, that's a fine piece of work, if you ask me.

Thirdly, I'd be willing to help out with the gameplay and XML, but I'm no graphic designer, I'm afraid.

-Sully

Oops, can this get moved over to a forum better suited for it?

Postby MrBenn on Tue May 03, 2011 6:17 pm

[Moved]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Painsake on Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Hey, as it happens I amd a comp. graphics student who has a map I wanted made. and am only able to Make the graphic.

I would be willing to scratch your back... as they say.... if you'll scratch mine.
Private Painsake

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 am

Painsake wrote:Hey, as it happens I amd a comp. graphics student who has a map I wanted made. and am only able to Make the graphic.

I would be willing to scratch your back... as they say.... if you'll scratch mine.

I don't think I can help you much on Ant Hill. My expertise is dealing with real-world geographies.

Postby Painsake on Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am

my problem is the xml and the forum procedure, which I don't know. Even so, if you need help with graphics, it still not a problem.
Private Painsake

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 am

Painsake wrote:my problem is the xml and the forum procedure, which I don't know. Even so, if you need help with graphics, it still not a problem.

Forum procedure you just sort of learn as you go. There are some FAQs and such that explain things. Otherwise if you have a question just ask and the mods are pretty good getting back to you with answers.

I wouldn't worry about XML until you get all the way through Gameplay and Graphics. Once you're ready for XML you'll probably be able to find someone willing to help you with that.

Postby Painsake on Wed May 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Well I have it posted in the drafting room. If you want to give suggestions on how to improve it. So you said that you need help with graphics, have you posted a first draft yet?

I would like to get a look at it, but I looked up the quad city Map,(why did you want help again?) and I agree with victor
With this new map, I think you may not need more than a little critiquing and you should be able to fix it up easily enough.
For the sake of pain
I am The Painsake
Private Painsake

Postby natty dread on Wed May 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Ironsij, you are more than capable of creating the graphics for your next map. The "old curmudgeons" are unhappy with pretty much every map that isn't a masterpiece. My first maps weren't very good looking, and I got my share of flak from them. My point is, the "old guys" aren't the be-all & end-all of mapmaking. Sure, it's good to take their advice if they offer it, they tend to have experience from a long time of mapmaking. But their opinion is not "God's Word" or absolute truth, and since your map has made it through to FF, it shows you have at least some skill.

Basically, like I already told another new mapmaker... you learn by doing. By the time your 2nd map is in the Final Forge, you'll have twice as much graphical experience as you have now. I didn't know squat about graphics when I started mapmaking. Now, I think I've learned some few small things...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Seamus76 on Wed May 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Ha, ha natty_dread, this could be the understatement of the year, "I've learned a few small things". Just check out his map making tutorial, which can be applied to just about any map you're starting with, and you'll see there is no end to his modesty. Also, another great resource is the cartographers guild. You can google it. That's where I found a lot of great info for the map I just submitted. Would love to get your thoughts on that one as well. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=583&t=143299
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Return to Foundry Discussions