Max number of troops on each territory....

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: How to limit stacking

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 am

this proposal caps the total amount of troops on the board, so you can have one stack of 200 or 5 of 40.. of something along those lines
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011
Medals: 95
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (11)

Postby JoshyBoy on Sun May 01, 2011 5:30 pm

This idea is pure bullshit. If you don't want to stack, then don't. And don't start whining about it trying to take away one aspect of Conquer Club. Pure bullshit.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Postby SirSebstar on Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am

lol
joshyboy, i think the idea is how to limit that others cannot stack...

still the idea has inherent flaws, slightly appealing to me, but flawed. So it needs work before it can be considered functional.

e.g. how to deal with large/ small maps.
escalating cards ect ect
Major SirSebstar

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby sniffie on Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 pm

SirSebstar wrote:lol
joshyboy, i think the idea is how to limit that others cannot stack...

still the idea has inherent flaws, slightly appealing to me, but flawed. So it needs work before it can be considered functional.

e.g. how to deal with large/ small maps.
escalating cards ect ect

the only thing I can add is, how are you going to fix the problem with escalating??

sniff
Sergeant 1st Class sniffie
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Medals: 61
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 am

I like this idea. It has to be an option at game set up not a general rule, so that if people like "infinite stack" they won't start or join an "army limit" game, just as you can avoid foggy or nuclear by simply not playing them.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby SirSebstar on Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I like this idea. It has to be an option at game set up not a general rule, so that if people like "infinite stack" they won't start or join an "army limit" game, just as you can avoid foggy or nuclear by simply not playing them.

obviously. but still correct. Option only.

Der sniffter, you add the same as I did, escalating? or is that your only concern?
Major SirSebstar

Postby nebsmith on Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

The idea is to set the limit at an appropriate size for the type of game you want to play. So with escalating you either don't use a troop limit as an option or you set it high.
For small maps set a smaller limit. That is why I suggested using a multiple of the number of territories on the map as a limit, for one of the options.
What I am suggesting is a variable limit decided by the one who sets up the game.
Say between 5 and 20 times territories.
The limit to apply to the total troops of each player. So on a map with 50 territorries and the multiplier set at 10 no-one could have more than 500 troops in total.
I see the biggest problem being deciding what the limits of troops should be, does anyone have a suggestion for what to set them between?
Also maybe it shouldn't be variable, maybe a set multiple for all maps.
Sergeant nebsmith

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (12)

Postby sniffie on Tue May 03, 2011 3:31 pm

SirSebstar wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:I like this idea. It has to be an option at game set up not a general rule, so that if people like "infinite stack" they won't start or join an "army limit" game, just as you can avoid foggy or nuclear by simply not playing them.

obviously. but still correct. Option only.

Der sniffter, you add the same as I did, escalating? or is that your only concern?

maybe doubled that problem, sorry for that. But I think its the biggest problem within this suggestion. For exmaple

Log: next set: 50 troops
Player cashes: Player recieves 1 troops for cashing card A, card B and Card C.

I woul really feel "shitty" about it.

sniff
Sergeant 1st Class sniffie
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Medals: 61
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby nebsmith on Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't see that it matters where you get the troops from, normal reinforcements or a 50 set. The idea is to force some movement in a game. If you are in the situation you describe - 50 due, only able to take 1 - then you either use up some troops attacking in the previous round/s or you take the penalty for doing nothing.
Or you don't use a limited troop option in escalating games, which anyway tend to be decided more quickly, once someone gets the eliminate and cash stategy going.
Sergeant nebsmith

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4)

Postby OliverFA on Thu May 05, 2011 6:36 pm

The problem that I see with this proposal is that the limit is rather arbirtary. I prefer to base the limit in things that make sense.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Lieutenant OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby nebsmith on Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 am

any suggestion as to what to base any limits on ?
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby OliverFA on Fri May 06, 2011 8:57 am

There are two types of suggestiong dealing with limits in armies, and both make sense in their own way. One is upkeep and the other is stack limit per territory. I suppose that stack limit per territory makes more sense in this thread. The "logic" is that territories can't fit an unlimited number of armies, they have some space after all, and that's the reason of limiting the number of armies per territories.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Lieutenant OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby nvrijn on Sun May 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Good concept, but I don't think this would be as effective as you hope. I've been in Fixed value Risk games which go on forever, as players swap the same 1 defender territory over and over to get their risk cards.

All this would do is force "No Spoils" games into that cycle. What would be systemic change would be the ability for the survivors to declare they ALL wanted a tie ... and have the game end and all the points calculated as if they were a team.

Just a thought
Major nvrijn

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Max Troops

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am

Concise description:
  • Incorporate a troop maximum on territories, or across the board

There are many ways to implement this:
Specifics/Details:
  • XML update that allows smaller numbers of troops on specific territories (e.g. Downtown on Montreal can have a maximum stack of 25 troops since extra troops would cause unrest)
  • Option that allows a max stack sizep; would be an option at beginning of game [10, 20, 30, 50, 100, no limit] and would apply to all territories; would only come into effect at end of turn so it would need a new 'troop elimination phase'
  • a dynamic, calculated system in which the max number of troops is based on how many territories you have that form a single-chain; this mode would be off-limits for n00bs and would add a whole new element of cutting off supply lines

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Let's be honest here: turn limits suck. Instead of stopping deadlocks, they cause players to stop attacking and just start stacking. You know what I call it when players stop attacking and just start stacking? I call that a motherfucking deadlock. So turn limits which were supposed to get rid of this problem actually made it worse. At first, I was thinking that if the turn limit was reached, a random thing determined the winner (from a pool of possibilities: most cards, most troops, most territories, highest deployment bonus, most successful attacks) then players wouldn't just shut down and stop playing. However, anytime something random is introduced, players complain.
  • Turn limits should be 'un-integrated'. They didn't do what they are supposed to do.
  • This will prevent deadlocks.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Max Troops

Postby chapcrap on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:06 am

Yes!! XML updates please!!
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

PreviousNext

Return to Rejected Suggestions