Conquer Club

Drill Team Performance

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Drill Team Performance

Postby Woodruff on Mon May 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
pimpdave wrote:I know there's good in you, I can feel it.

Watch it, that tickles!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

^ I didn't know that gynecologists maintain eye contact with their patients at all times. That's just got to be the worst part about it.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby zebraman on Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:wow. such animosity :shock:

Trust me, it's deserved.

I originally tried defending that cock sucking Woodruff when people were ganging up on him in some unpopularity poll - my mistake. I think it was bradley that started that one. Wasn't more than 2 pages later I could see why people got annoyed by Woody.
JJM wrote:I don't know how to spell check and why is it that all you easterners think of North Dakotians as idiots
Private 1st Class zebraman

Postby notyou2 on Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 pm

How does it feel when I touch you here?

Here?

How about here?

Oh that one got quite a reaction.
Captain notyou2

Postby saxitoxin on Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Excellent work, Woodruff. They appear not only well disciplined and drilled but also seem to enjoy what they are doing, that intangible esprit de corps. I'm not generally impressed by D&C that doesn't incorporate Exerzierschritt style marching but this was very snappy so count me doubly impressed. What is the significance of the maroon beret? Is that standard cover for JROTC?

I say, though, do they perform ever to traditional marching music or only popular songs? I liked these videos very much, however, so many really strong, rousing marches the U.S. has in repertoire I'd be curious to see them execute to one of those as well. Nobles of the Mystic Shrine is one of ol' Saxi's personal favourites (http://youtu.be/sTG0yxYMhR8). If they are insisting on performing to popular music I say give them something with a strong, martial beat - an example would be Ersatzteil by Feindflug but probably anything off the Fight Club soundtrack (incidental music only, not the songs) would be grand if you wanted an American composer.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Personally, I perform my daily Physical Jerks to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQ7hXMLxGc

Great for reinforcing my daily dosage of Brotherhood, Solidarity, and Internationalism.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 am

zebraman wrote:

Trust me, it's deserved.

I originally tried defending that cock sucking Woodruff when people were ganging up on him in some unpopularity poll - my mistake. I think it was bradley that started that one. Wasn't more than 2 pages later I could see why people got annoyed by Woody.

You believe it's justified for him to attack my cadets because he doesn't like me? You have a very odd set of priorities. But it's nice that for your first post in more than a month, you just stopped by to tell me what an ass I am. No irony there.
Last edited by Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 10:40 am

saxitoxin wrote:What is the significance of the maroon beret? Is that standard cover for JROTC?

The rifle squad as a group selected the color.

saxitoxin wrote:I say, though, do they perform ever to traditional marching music or only popular songs?

Sure. That just happened to be the music they selected for that performance. Actually, at drill meets, there is no music.

Postby pimpdave on Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 am

So, just out of curiosity, how is twirling a rifle around like a baton useful in battle?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 10:51 am

pimpdave wrote:So, just out of curiosity, how is twirling a rifle around like a baton useful in battle?

Battle? These are high school kids, the majority of whom have no interest in joining the military. In fact, nationwide, only about 6% of AFJROTC cadets ever join the military in any capacity.

Aside from that though, drill does impact skills useful in battle in tremendous ways. But I wouldn't want to distract you from demeaning the kids.

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 am

yeah, like Woodruff said, if you can have that amount of control over your weaponry, such as a gun or a sword, it will help greatly and improve reflexes and response time.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby pimpdave on Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 am

Please provide examples. Does it prepare someone for a baton twirling evil cheer leader attack?

And no one is putting down the students. They did a very proficient baton twirling routine. One has to be mega ultra super hyper sensitive to think anyone is denigrating the students.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 am

pimpdave wrote:Please provide examples. Does it prepare someone for a baton twirling evil cheer leader attack?

well, instead of thinking of the drill team performance as the event itself, think of it as a conditioning exercise. In track and Cross Country (my sport :) ) we runners do hops, skips, knee raises, stretches, etc. a whole bunch of exercises that are not considered running, but they help us to better improve ourselves. In the same way, this drill team performance may not be the thing they're actually trying to do but a method of preparing themselves for the real thing.
And baton twirling evil cheer leader attacks are no match for the superiority of young men in uniform :lol:
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby pimpdave on Tue May 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Young men in uniform could refer to other baton twirling evil cheer leaders though.

And you can't justify baton twirling as a conditioning exercise.

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:yeah, like Woodruff said, if you can have that amount of control over your weaponry, such as a gun or a sword, it will help greatly and improve reflexes and response time.

I was thinking more along the lines of "self-discipline, awareness, concentration, work ethic and teamwork". The sorts of things that if you aren't well-versed in them in a combat environment, you won't last long.
Last edited by Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Woodruff on Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

pimpdave wrote:And no one is putting down the students. They did a very proficient baton twirling routine. One has to be mega ultra super hyper sensitive to think anyone is denigrating the students.

That is precisely what you did, actually. You're just too much of an ass to admit it.

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Woodruff wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:yeah, like Woodruff said, if you can have that amount of control over your weaponry, such as a gun or a sword, it will help greatly and improve reflexes and response time.

I was thinking more along the lines of "self-discipline, awareness, concentration, work ethic and teamwork". The sorts of things that if you aren't well-versed in them in a combat environment, you won't last long.

well that too

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Let's not kid ourselves. Male cheerleaders are without a doubt the toughest men on the planet. They do all those gymnastic flips, spend their afternoons throwing people up over their heads, and routinely have to defend their masculinity. I know that I don't ever want to fight a cheerleader.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby zebraman on Wed May 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Woodruff wrote:
zebraman wrote:

Trust me, it's deserved.

You believe it's justified for him to attack my cadets because he doesn't like me? You have a very odd set of priorities. But it's nice that for your first post in more than a month, you just stopped by to tell me what an ass I am. No irony there.

Oh for crap's sake Woodruff. You always pull this shit when people call you out for who you are - a pathetic middle aged wanker who likes to part-quote others or take only half of what their posts mean and then argue against the part they never said. I don't post in here as often as I used to, true. But I post and read stuff in the godless heathen forum for the most part because it's full of super cool people who, unlike yourself, actually have important things to say.

Let's get this straight - those students are great despite of your influence.
JJM wrote:I don't know how to spell check and why is it that all you easterners think of North Dakotians as idiots

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 pm

zebraman wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
zebraman wrote:

Trust me, it's deserved.

Oh for crap's sake Woodruff. You always pull this shit when people call you out for who you are - a pathetic middle aged wanker who likes to part-quote others or take only half of what their posts mean and then argue against the part they never said.

You say this, and yet that is not in any way what happened in this thread. In fact, it is YOU who is "arguing against the part they never said". But hey, that's ok because it fits with your preconceptions, right? Good work on that, Sherlock.

zebraman wrote:Let's get this straight - those students are great despite of your influence.

Your willingness to so publicly display your ignorance is fascinating. All of this knowledge of my teaching styles, lessons, capabilities and influences gleaned from my posts on an internet gaming site. You are impressive in your willfull stupidity.

But don't open your eyes to the reality here...the bright light might hurt them.

Postby Timminz on Wed May 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Woodruff wrote:You believe it's justified for him to attack my cadets because he doesn't like me?

Someone call the police!!!!!!!

Pimpdave is attacking high school students!!!!!!!!
Captain Timminz

Postby zebraman on Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Woodruff wrote:You say this, and yet that is not in any way what happened in this thread. In fact, it is YOU who is "arguing against the part they never said". But hey, that's ok because it fits with your preconceptions, right? Good work on that, Sherlock.

Guess that makes you Moriarty.

Preconceptions be damned, as I originally tried defending you a long time ago in a thread far, far away. You did then what you continue to do now, which is try to throw a host of charges against people that call you out on your idiocy, hoping that something will stick. This latest charge of Pimpdave attacking your cadets just about takes the cake. Then you try to set yourself up as some sort of glorious champion of cadets, defending them against these ruthless attacks. The hero to the rescue.

Woodruff wrote:Your willingness to so publicly display your ignorance is fascinating. All of this knowledge of my teaching styles, lessons, capabilities and influences gleaned from my posts on an internet gaming site. You are impressive in your willfull stupidity.

But don't open your eyes to the reality here...the bright light might hurt them.

"You're willingness to so publicly display your ignorance".........oh shut it, would you? Nobody buys your bullshit anymore. Now you try to deflect the issue by setting up another of your pathetic straw men. Your posts reflect your character (or lack thereof).

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 11, 2011 7:55 pm

zebraman wrote:
Woodruff wrote:You say this, and yet that is not in any way what happened in this thread. In fact, it is YOU who is "arguing against the part they never said". But hey, that's ok because it fits with your preconceptions, right? Good work on that, Sherlock.

Guess that makes you Moriarty.

Preconceptions be damned, as I originally tried defending you a long time ago in a thread far, far away. You did then what you continue to do now, which is try to throw a host of charges against people that call you out on your idiocy, hoping that something will stick.

Which idiocy was pimpdave calling me out for in his original post in this thread, zebraman? Go ahead...back up your claim.

zebraman wrote:This latest charge of Pimpdave attacking your cadets just about takes the cake.

Does it? I suppose that's why you support his statements about those cadets so much. At least, I certainly don't hear you decrying his statements the way that you are mine.

zebraman wrote:Then you try to set yourself up as some sort of glorious champion of cadets, defending them against these ruthless attacks. The hero to the rescue.

Try to set myself up? I didn't set anything up. If anything, pimpdave set that situation up. And shouldn't I be willing to defend my own cadets?

zebraman wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Your willingness to so publicly display your ignorance is fascinating. All of this knowledge of my teaching styles, lessons, capabilities and influences gleaned from my posts on an internet gaming site. You are impressive in your willfull stupidity.

"You're willingness to so publicly display your ignorance".........oh shut it, would you? Nobody buys your bullshit anymore. Now you try to deflect the issue by setting up another of your pathetic straw men. Your posts reflect your character (or lack thereof).

Which strawman would that be, zebraman? I'd like you to point it out for me, because I am having a great deal of difficulty determining how you've come to the conclusion that my teaching styles, lessons, capabilities and influences can be determined based on my posts on this internet gaming site. Could you please explain where the strawman in that is for me? Thanks.

Postby luns101 on Wed May 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Gee whiz, can't you guys just say thank you to Woodruff for putting himself out there and sharing this stuff. It's not easy to lead high school kids and motivate them to do hardly anything these days. If they weren't involved in these types of programs I'd hate to see how they could turn out.

At least you didn't get stuck sponsoring the chess team like I did the first year I taught, Woodruff. Count your blessings.
Major luns101

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed May 11, 2011 11:54 pm

luns101 wrote:Gee whiz, can't you guys just say thank you to Woodruff for putting himself out there and sharing this stuff. It's not easy to lead high school kids and motivate them to do hardly anything these days. If they weren't involved in these types of programs I'd hate to see how they could turn out.

Gee, them rapping kids these days are terrible for our society.

[emphasis added]

Yeah, having the self-motivation to be creative through expressing oneself by rapping is a terrible way to end up. It's so much better to twirl a baton fake gun around in order to experience externally imposed discipline.[/sarcasm]

I'm not saying either way is wrong for any particular person, but at least I don't fool myself into believing that I know what's best for a kid and what isn't (regarding twirling batons and rapping).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,