Conquer Club

Mapmaking Medals: Present and Correct

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mapmaking Medals: Present and Correct

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm

The mapmaking and contest medals were put into circulation some time ago, after a number of maps had already been through the foundry process, and after the foundry had held a couple of revamp contests. Following a trawl through the foundry archives, some anomalies were identified... some medals had gone missing, been misspelled, or awarded to the wrong person... The following should hopefully be a comprehensive list of the amendments that have been made to correct any mapmaking and foundry contest medals issued prior to today:

WidowMakers
Won the Official Canada Revamp Competition
Won the Official Indochina Revamp Competition

DublinDoogey
Developed the North America map

zimmah
Co-developed the Iceland map

Gilligan (for Lunar War) and Unit_2 (for Holy Roman Empire) were both recipients of 2nd-mapmaker medals, which have been transferred to an alternative collaborator who made a greater contribution to the development of the map in question.

grayhawke
Co-developed the Holy Roman Empire 1648 map

isaiah40
Co-developed the Lunar War map

Premier2k and NemesisChild have been reissued with their mapmaking medals for the Atlantis map, to correct the link that was showing incorrectly on their profile pages.

natty_dread and dolomite13
For finishing as a runner-up in A Capital Competition (Official Foundry Contest)

thenobodies80
Won A Capital Competition (Official Foundry Contest)

Evil DIMwit and thenobodies80
Co-developed the Middle Ages / Capital Competition map

mibi, WidowMakers, oaktown, Incandenza, yeti_c and MrBenn have had their mapmaking medals that were awarded for their contribution towards the development of Classic Art transformed into Special Contribution Medals.

isaiah40
Finished as runner-up in the Official Golfe du St-Laurent Revamp Competition

Tisha
Won the Official Golfe du St-Laurent Revamp Competition
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Mapmaking Medals: Present and Correct

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice that this was corrected. However... this brings to mind another medal-related thing...

Whatever happened to the "foundry awards" medals? You know, the ones we had a contest to design and all? These special "non-official" medals were to be awarded to mapmakers for mapmaking achievements... were any of these ever given to anyone?

Hey, even found the thread: viewtopic.php?f=467&t=109517#p2457073
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:02 pm

MrBenn wrote:zimmah

Not that I'm complaining, but zimmah just did the xml in one evening. I did everything else, the rest of the year. I wouldn't really call it "co-developing".
Private RjBeals

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 pm

RjBeals wrote:

Not that I'm complaining, but zimmah just did the xml in one evening. I did everything else, the rest of the year. I wouldn't really call it "co-developing".

But where would you be without him? ;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:45 pm

RjBeals wrote:

I have changed the medal description to "Wrote the xml for the Iceland map" ;-)

From now on that I will issue more descriptive labels with the mapmaking medals, which will probably require more discernment with the application of the Foundry/Map Contribution Medal Policy (link)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Sun May 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I have also decided that we will no longer be issuing mapmaking medals to people who jump in at the last minute to write the xml for a map; the xml for Quad Cities took me around an hour to complete, and this is in no way comparable to the amount of time and effort that a "primary developer" puts in.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun May 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
RjBeals wrote:

But where would you be without him? ;)

her
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon May 09, 2011 8:57 pm

MrBenn wrote:I have also decided that we will no longer be issuing mapmaking medals to people who jump in at the last minute to write the xml for a map; the xml for Quad Cities took me around an hour to complete, and this is in no way comparable to the amount of time and effort that a "primary developer" puts in.

I know California didn't take me long either, so I understand the reasoning. The effort I put into Pachisi (and am still putting into it) far outweighs the effort it took to whip up California's XML. One issue, though, is maps like R&C and Omega Cities, where their XML is giant and the work that goes into it is most definitely comparable to the amount of work put into the gameplay and graphics of the map. Do you suppose you would hand out a medal for that?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Incandenza on Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 pm

MrBenn wrote:mibi, WidowMakers, oaktown, Incandenza, yeti_c and MrBenn have had their mapmaking medals that were awarded for their contribution towards the development of Classic Art transformed into Special Contribution Medals.

I noticed that awhile back... Made me a bit sad that I was no longer the least qualified person in foundry history to have a mapmaking medal... :(
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby natty dread on Tue May 10, 2011 2:34 am

Mrbenn! I love your new sig :D

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 pm

natty_dread wrote:Mrbenn! I love your new sig :D

But there are no blue or green ghosts in Pac-Man! **Mumbles something about how getting the details wrong somehow hurts the game's integrity or some crap no one really wants to listen to.**

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 11, 2011 1:29 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I have also decided that we will no longer be issuing mapmaking medals to people who jump in at the last minute to write the xml for a map; the xml for Quad Cities took me around an hour to complete, and this is in no way comparable to the amount of time and effort that a "primary developer" puts in.

I know California didn't take me long either, so I understand the reasoning. The effort I put into Pachisi (and am still putting into it) far outweighs the effort it took to whip up California's XML. One issue, though, is maps like R&C and Omega Cities, where their XML is giant and the work that goes into it is most definitely comparable to the amount of work put into the gameplay and graphics of the map. Do you suppose you would hand out a medal for that?

-Sully
Exceptions can always be made for exceptional circumstances ;)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

MrBenn wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully
Exceptions can always be made for exceptional circumstances ;)

Well, of course they can, MrBenn, but your new decision is really the place where the exception is being made, I think. After all, you did say no medals for
MrBenn wrote:people who jump in at the last minute to write the xml for a map

and I doubt that many mapmakers fall into that category (do they?). Moreover, Victor's examples do not approach that in any way.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby grifftron on Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am

Was that rule made JUST so vic wouldn't get a medal for cali?
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Thu May 12, 2011 2:31 pm

grifftron wrote:Was that rule made JUST so vic wouldn't get a medal for cali?

It's something we've been discussing for some time now, but particularly the last couple of months.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby grifftron on Thu May 12, 2011 3:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:

It's something we've been discussing for some time now, but particularly the last couple of months.

so pretty much yea so he wouldn't get one! LOL thats awesomely hilarious.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

grifftron wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

We've been debating the mapmaking medal for xml - not any specific contributor. The decision to post when I did was triggered by the fact that it took me so little time and effort to compile the Quad Cities xml - which I do not think I deserve a medal for.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu May 12, 2011 5:32 pm

grifftron wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

Haha, that never crossed my mind, actually. I'd like to think that's not the case. Despite our history, I don't think he would this solely to give me a good hit below the belt.

But ender has a point - you are the one making exceptions here and asking for controversy. "Well, why did so-and-so get a contribution medal for his XML and I didn't? I worked just as hard, if not, harder on my XML!" I mean, I understand your reasoning, but is it worth it?

And it's not like XML people are "stealing" contribution medals from the Graphics and Gameplay contributers, XML coders are usually the last to get the medal. So, like for California, TBK would get the map medal for his Graphics and Gameplay, and then the other one would just be given to no one because I don't deserve it? Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, it's just a pretty graphic to have next to my name and I just like doing the XML because I enjoy it, but I'm sure to many others that medal is worth something.

I respect your decision, whichever way you go, but just some things to consider.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Qwert has been PMing me since this discussion started, and I thought he brought up a half-way decent argument: Many other people have received medals for quickie XMLs, so why deprive the newer folk of this? Just something to think about.

-Sully

P.S. qwert refuses to post in the Foundry due to the fact that he doesn't agree with the Foundry process, so that is why I am posting his thoughts (in a grammatically correct and nicer way).
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Fri May 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Qwert has been PMing me since this discussion started, and I thought he brought up a half-way decent argument: Many other people have received medals for quickie XMLs, so why deprive the newer folk of this? Just something to think about.

With that logic, no changes could ever be made to any policy. The older people are grandfathered in, newer people will just have to suck it up... the cupcakes.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Qwert has been PMing me since this discussion started, and I thought he brought up a half-way decent argument: Many other people have received medals for quickie XMLs, so why deprive the newer folk of this? Just something to think about.

With that logic, no changes could ever be made to any policy. The older people are grandfathered in, newer people will just have to suck it up... the cupcakes.

I don't disagree, by any means, but it's certainly something worth taking into account.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby zimmah on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:55 am

RjBeals wrote:

true, the XML of that map was quite simple.

Oasis took me a lot longer.

on a sidenote, i also wrote the XML for Operation Drug War.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Return to Foundry Discussions