Conquer Club

Foundry Talk: Favorite XML Feature

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What is/are your favorite XML feature(s)? (Post your reasons in the thread!)

Total votes : 0

Foundry Talk: Favorite XML Feature

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 pm

What is/are your favorite XML feature(s) and why?
  • one-way attacks
  • bombardments
  • continents
  • collective bonuses
  • auto-deploys
  • auto-decays
  • starting neutrals
  • killer neutrals
  • starting positions
  • objectives/winning conditions
  • requirements/losing conditions
-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Foundry Talk: Favorite XML Feature

Postby greenoaks on Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 pm

i voted for winning conditions

i have won a few games where i was getting my butt kicked but sneakily acquired the right territories to win the game.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby MrBenn on Thu May 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Auto deploy and auto decay are technically the same thing; I'm not too sure what you mean by a collective bonus?; my favourite feature is probably the losing condition, because there are so many more possibilities fire how they can be utilised, particularly in conjunction with starting positions etc
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:Auto deploy and auto decay are technically the same thing; I'm not too sure what you mean by a collective bonus?; my favourite feature is probably the losing condition, because there are so many more possibilities fire how they can be utilised, particularly in conjunction with starting positions etc

I realize that they are, and I debated putting them together, but their functionality and uses are quite different, so I thought it warranted the separation (despite working the same way in the XML). Same goes for continents and collective bonuses (collective bonuses being, "hold 2 for +3", "+1 for each", etc.)

I personally am a fan of killer neutrals, as they can be used in so many situations. They can be used to help players gtfo and it can be a great way to balance out more powerful territories (have a killer neutral be able to attack starting positions, or have it block a certain bonus area, etc.).

I also agree with MrBenn about losing conditions, as they are not only a neat game mechanic to play with, but it also allows other gameplay possibilities beyond its original intention, as seen with Research and Conquer and Omega Cities - having non-battleground territories and such.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I have a fondness for killer neutrals, as they featured in my first map as a way to turn a super-connected territory into a gameplay-balanced element. I was split between Collective bonuses and Losing conditions, as both have made R&C possible.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Return to Foundry Discussions