Continuing the TPA going forward

The place for ideas, discussion of tournament related topics, and finding answers to questions about tournaments.

Moderators: Tournament Directors, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Continuing the TPA going forward

Postby MudPuppy on Thu May 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I hadn't really cared much about the names until this recent discussion but, since it's been brought up, I would tend to think that a "premier" event is of more importance than a "major" event. My suggestion would be: Grand Slam Event, Major Event, Minor Event.

Secondly, while I recognize the desire to put an emphasis on participation on the key events, leading to the scoring of 100% of the 4 MAJORS, 62.5% of the 16 PREMIERS, and 50% of the 32 STANDARD events, The scoring becomes weighted heaviest on the PREMIER (mid-level) events since
4 MAJORS = 16 STANDARDS
10 PREMIERS = 20 STANDARDS; and
16 STANDARDS = 16 STANDARDS

While only a minor tweak, I'd consider reducing the number of premier events scored from 10 to 8 (50%) so that each event category contributes approximately the same number of points for the top finishers. Though, I understand there would be more total points awarded for events with more participants (likely MAJORS and PREMIERS).

While I feel the reduction to 8 premiers makes a bit more sense, I do see the benefit of keeping it at 10 and am basically just throwing out the idea as a discussion point.

Imperial Dragoons - CC's longest running clan.
Major MudPuppy
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Medals: 97
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (11) Training Achievement (8)
General Contribution (1)

Postby jrh_cardinal on Fri May 13, 2011 4:45 pm

MudPuppy wrote:I hadn't really cared much about the names until this recent discussion but, since it's been brought up, I would tend to think that a "premier" event is of more importance than a "major" event. My suggestion would be: Grand Slam Event, Major Event, Minor Event.

I think Major should definitely stay at the top. It's the same term that Professional Golf and Tennis use. In Tennis, winning the 4 majors is called a Grand Slam; I could definitely see the system looking confusing to a new player who sees the tennis analogy, Grand Slam tournaments, and Major tournaments, all in the same post.

I agree Standard is confusing since it's a game type. I would go Major/Premier/Minor or General (I know that's a CC word too)
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (2)

Postby greenoaks on Fri May 13, 2011 8:11 pm

calling something a General tournament might stop people of other ranks from joining
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby MudPuppy on Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:I think Major should definitely stay at the top. It's the same term that Professional Golf and Tennis use. In Tennis, winning the 4 majors is called a Grand Slam

Good point... I somehow forgot that Grand Slams were made up of Majors. I'll retract my suggestion in favor of keeping Major #1. Still think Premier sounds like a higher level but I'm sure I'll be able to keep them in order.

Imperial Dragoons - CC's longest running clan.
Major MudPuppy
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Medals: 97
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (12) Clan Achievement (11) Training Achievement (8)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Lufsen75 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 am

How is it organized for the Premiers and Standards. It is done who have what?
Sergeant 1st Class Lufsen75

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (30)

Postby Dukasaur on Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 am

jrh_cardinal wrote:
MudPuppy wrote:I hadn't really cared much about the names until this recent discussion but, since it's been brought up, I would tend to think that a "premier" event is of more importance than a "major" event. My suggestion would be: Grand Slam Event, Major Event, Minor Event.

I think Major should definitely stay at the top. It's the same term that Professional Golf and Tennis use. In Tennis, winning the 4 majors is called a Grand Slam; I could definitely see the system looking confusing to a new player who sees the tennis analogy, Grand Slam tournaments, and Major tournaments, all in the same post.

I agree Standard is confusing since it's a game type. I would go Major/Premier/Minor or General (I know that's a CC word too)

How about Major, Marquee, and Regular?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Previous

Return to General Info, Q&A, Discussion