Conquer Club

CCU [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:00 pm

qeee1 wrote:Or... what was wrong with green? If you could get something to look like grass, that'd be nice.

The main reason, I think, was so that I could use green for Athletics: apparently, the orange I was originally using there was too similar to the red, yellow, and brown of other continents. (At this point, I've grown rather accustomed to the idea of Athletics being green, because it seems fitting for the football field.)

Phobia wrote:theres too much text on it, espicially at the top

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Phobia on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:13 pm

sorry lol, i mean the text naming all the "countries" or classrooms, look squashed. theres a lot of text, for example "academic conselling" for such a small classroom
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby Fieryo on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I still dislike it. Is that housing thing really important in USA universities? And is administration thaaaaaat significant? And is a football field really needed? Im not sure, maybe our concepts of college are totally different due to cultural differences

yes, our colleges do really look like this. yes there do need to be that many buildings. yes we need all that administrative stuff because one thing america does very, very well is the beurocracy.
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Postby Jota on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Another update:

I played around with the colors a bit more. If this has returned it to eye-strain levels for anyone, I can re-desaturate it. I tried the dark grey background that was suggested, but that made most of the doors and stairs and such more or less vanish, which seemed unfortunate.

Obviously there are plenty of other little and not so little tweaks as well. I've still got a few more things on my to-do list for this one (including the XML and figuring out whether or not we need circles), but I think we're getting close to being done.
Last edited by Jota on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:43 pm

This map (and really like all your maps) are just like wine. With age they get better and better. Considering your first post, you've come quite a way since then. That said...

---As for any harshness, I think the majority of the map is fine. The only thing I am concerned with in that area might be the parking lot. That yellow on the light gray/white is a bit blinding. Perhaps a simple darker shade of yellow, or a more gray parking lot. (maybe even with cars or oil spots ;))

---The horseman in the quad looks a little odd. It doesn't seem to quite go with the surrounding area. Perhaps because everything is top down, while it is a side view/bottom-->up.

---Also, a minor thing, have you considered maybe adding basketball hoops to the gym? Or any other few aesthetic images?
    Perhaps that might just be too much for clutter. Thinking as I'm typing.

---Though piggy backing off that idea, maybe you should consider adding trees or more variances of the bushes you have. Though the trees would be top down (essentially looking like a large bush), might be something to look into.

---As for the legend, I like it. The only thing that strikes me is Student Services. The gray doesn't quite mesh with the color light colors on the board. But I'm not sure you can do anything to alleviate it. If you made the name more gray-white people might confuse it with the quad and the parking lot. Perhaps swapping colors? Really that might just be too much work for again a minor thing.

---The name looks interesting. I love the images you have chosen for it. Though perhaps the red is too striking compared to the rest of the colors on the map. Maybe something paler. Also I'll take the bait and ask what the banner says in plain english :). (though I think I know what it says).

---As for XML, I'm not sure if you will need the circles. I think if it was possible to keep the army shadows off this map, that would help it greatly. We'll just have to see when you do the XML and see how the army values look.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Jota on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:02 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The horseman in the quad looks a little odd. It doesn't seem to quite go with the surrounding area. Perhaps because everything is top down, while it is a side view/bottom-->up.

That's a good point. I'd like to have something appropriate there as a centerpiece for the Quad, but I'm not sure what would work.

Also I'll take the bait and ask what the banner says in plain english :). (though I think I know what it says).

The motto (suggested by Roger -- thanks!) is the beginning of a quote from Horace on the subject of war: "Dulce et decorum est [pro patria mori.]" It translates to "It is sweet and fitting [to die for the fatherland.]" It's also the title of a poem by Wilfred Owen.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby spiesr on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Perhaps a top down view of a fountian for the quad?
Captain spiesr

Postby Jota on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Here we go:

It's hard to find a good overhead view of a fountain. Let me know if that one is close enough.

I think this map is just about done. I've tossed a few numbers on there for testing, just to see how it looks, and I think they're fairly legible. I imagine there'll be a few more suggestions before it's quite finished, and I'll need to nudge some of the labels around to make all the numbers fit, but I think we're ready to go into Final Forging.

rock: Sorry I couldn't get the little people you asked for. I did really like that suggestion way back on the first page, but it was just too impractical.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Well it is coming along.

---As for the numbers, I think they work as is. Lets see if anyone has trouble with them. The parking lot and quad look better.

---As for the fountain image, I spent quite a while trying to find one, unfortunately I could not. Sheesh, why is drawing from the side so popular! :) Anyways, I suggest trying to make your own. Really all that is need is a square base, or some shape. An internal circle for water, then perhaps another smaller internal circle for more water.

---I like the books, they work well. Perhaps without the shadow due to the football not having one? Or at least similar shadows for it, since the tree and bush shadows are on the opposite side. As for the football...it does not. At least that football. Perhaps one similar to this would mesh with the map and style.

---And is the image near Chemistry a rack of test tubes? I can't quite tell...I thought at first it was maybe paintbrushes or something rainbow like. If it is something dealing with chemistry, perhaps green bubbling ooze to play off that old cliche.

=====================

I'll get it up in Final Forge most likely tomorrow. But we've got quite a few maps that are awaiting live play. ;)

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby spiesr on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:20 pm

I think you need to see how the numbers will fit on some places with verry little room that aren't on there yet!
Captain spiesr

Postby rocksolid on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:58 pm

I think the cartography department needs to be bigger.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby minihaymanz on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:49 am

engineering should be its own contient...with a bonus of 17, cause u'd have to be hellua stupid and uber smart to hold it

(stupid to take it, smart to stay in it...oh god what am I getting into next year?)
Captain minihaymanz

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:57 am

At first i wasnt too happy about it, its still nto too exciting but much better. I love the quad.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Haydena on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:57 am

*sigh*

So this is an american uni? :(

Looks damn pretty though, love it! The concept is brilliant.
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Phobia on Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:11 am

Haydena wrote:*sigh*

So this is an american uni? :(

Looks damn pretty though, love it! The concept is brilliant.

lol *goes and makes english uni*
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:42 pm

New fountain. Also made the shadows match, I think. I've still got to look at the chemistry art and finish the coordinates, but I thought I'd post this in the meantime so that people can comment on the fountain while I work on those.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby TitusFinn on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Too bad you can't find a better fountain...I'll see what I can do to help. I like this map, it's clever.
Lieutenant TitusFinn

Postby qeee1 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:42 pm

I'm liking the change instead of grey.

I liked the image you had of the horse for the centre... it is CCU after all, a fountain seems a little tame. Plus none of the fountain images so far have looked that good.

I think the books on the left look slightly off... perhaps a little oversized, or perhaps it's just that that image is a little too familiar to me. Definately something odd though.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 pm

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/ccu15b-large.gif]Image
(Click for large version.)[/url]

And here's one with the numbers on it. I've blended the fountain a bit better now. Is it really that bad? If so, I guess this just proves I shouldn't try to draw...

qeee: I liked the horseman as well, but Andy was right about the perspective. If you can find a statue of a mounted soldier seen from overhead that looks like it would work well, I'll be happy to give it a try.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 pm

OK, forget the fountain: a cannon is both military and recognizable from the top!

So between the cannon and the numbers, how are we doing?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Augusta on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:06 pm

Jota wrote:[url=http://grunk.org/risk/ccu15b-large.gif]Image
(Click for large version.)[/url]

And here's one with the numbers on it. I've blended the fountain a bit better now. Is it really that bad? If so, I guess this just proves I shouldn't try to draw...

qeee: I liked the horseman as well, but Andy was right about the perspective. If you can find a statue of a mounted soldier seen from overhead that looks like it would work well, I'll be happy to give it a try.

about the quad - I think it should have some patterns or something - like the footpaths have. As of now its looking very "flat and grey" and its the very first thing that meets your eye.

I like the idea of this map - but since its called Conquer Club University... couldn't there also be a "game section" - like "strategy", "tactics", "teamplay", "map design" etc... something typical for CC. Make it a little more CC and a little less "real world".

Just some thoughts though...
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
Sergeant Augusta

Postby spiesr on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Augusta wrote:I like the idea of this map - but since its called Conquer Club University... couldn't there also be a "game section" - like "strategy", "tactics", "teamplay", "map design" etc... something typical for CC. Make it a little more CC and a little less "real world"

I agree and think all areas should be renamed to a CC theme!
Imagine swiching to football field to to a picture of the classic map!!
Captain spiesr

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Well lets see...

---Call me a crazy monkey, but I liked the fountain! I thought it looked pretty superb. As for the cannon idea, I like it also. But that particular cannon doesn't strike me. It seems to look odd in that place.

---As for more of a nod to CC...it could be a good idea. I like it, though I don't think all areas should be renamed. I think the map would lose something if every area was named in CC style. But perhaps more of nod to CC wouldn't be too hard to do. Though it still might end up being quite a bit more work time wise.

--Andy

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Anyone want to vote on the cannon versus the fountain? I could try to draw a cannon myself, but that seems unlikely to be especially successful.

As for renaming things... well, the biggest problem is that (at this stage) it'd mean losing some of the existing country names, and I kinda like most of the ones that are there. And really, don't all of these things figure into warfare? Building tanks in the Engineering department, making black powder in Chemistry, reading De Bello Gallico in Classics, and of course there's Cartography...
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Augusta on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Well lets see...

---Call me a crazy monkey, but I liked the fountain! I thought it looked pretty superb. As for the cannon idea, I like it also. But that particular cannon doesn't strike me. It seems to look odd in that place.

---As for more of a nod to CC...it could be a good idea. I like it, though I don't think all areas should be renamed. I think the map would lose something if every area was named in CC style. But perhaps more of nod to CC wouldn't be too hard to do. Though it still might end up being quite a bit more work time wise.

--Andy

Just an idea regarding a nod more of CC.

Carparks aren't really that exciting - though its beautifully done Jota on this map.
So maybe that could instead be renamed "Gamings Skills" and transformed from tarmac to house?
Lets say with 3 or 4 "countries" named (again - just some ideas)
Strategy
Tactics
Team Skills
War Analysis... or something
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
Sergeant Augusta

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas