Conquer Club

Map Making Programs

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Making Programs

Postby Eternal Shadow on Tue May 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I fully realize this has more than likely been posted dozens of times, but I can't seem to find a thread with universaly agreed upon programs.

I am greately considering designing and making my own map, but I have no idea where to start, except the idea itself. I know the basic layout and gameplay options, and also have a rough sketch, but don't know what programs to start building with. I am more than willing to download programs, but would prefer not to have to pay for them, online anyways. I would consider buying and installing a fairly cheap program that I can use for more than this.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have little experience in graphics except highschool tech courses, so easy to use/idiot friendly programs would be awesome. Once again, I am at the starting stage and ony have a hand drawn map so far I need to re draw on the computer

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for the umpteenth post on this :oops:
Sergeant 1st Class Eternal Shadow

Re: Map Making Programs

Postby Eternal Shadow on Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 pm

P.S. I'm not looking for the entire process right now, just the start, i.e. drawing the map and getting the basic stuff done. I have found other useful thing here such as the XML tutorials and will get to that when I need to.

Thanks again
Sergeant 1st Class Eternal Shadow

Re: Map Making Programs

Postby natty dread on Tue May 24, 2011 4:39 pm

GIMP is pretty cheap, you can get it for 0 dollars.

http://www.gimp.org

Then read my GIMP tutorials, starting here: viewtopic.php?f=466&t=140723
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Return to Foundry Discussions