Conquer Club

[Community Opinion] Suggestions

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

[Community Opinion] Suggestions

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Community Opinion

_________________________________________________________________________________

In the 50th Edition of the CC Newsletter, there will be a Community Opinion piece about Suggestions! We would like to know what you think about:

1. Which Suggestions should be implemented first?
  2. Which add-ons should be built into the site?
  3. If you were to make an ordered top 10 list of Submitted Suggestions to be Implemented, what would it be?
  4. What are some outstanding problems that you see with the Suggestions process?
  5. Are there any improvements you'd like to see?
  6. Which should have more priority:
    1. Suggestions that affect gameplay or
    2. Suggestions that improve site maintenance, hardware, processes, forum, etc (i.e. Usergroup Control Panel, https login)

If you would like to discuss anything outside of the bullets, feel free, and know that this is just a piece for the Newsletter, and isn't intended to have weight in what happens from the Webmaster.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Re: [Community Opinion] Suggestions

Postby Sniper08 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Which Suggestions should be implemented first?

shorter round time for speed games and then more medals for us premiums to get.

Which add-ons should be built into the site?

since click maps was built in i think they next best is map rank

What are some outstanding problems that you see with the Suggestions process?

slowness of the process,not getting enough feedback and the fact that there are 3 pages of suggestions without them being archived as rejected since no community interest.

Are there any improvements you'd like to see?

lack providing some sort of feedback on outstanding threads that are years old.A priority list of suggestion e.g.high medium low tag in suggestion title to indicate where the suggestion is going.

Which should have more priority:

Suggestions that affect gameplay or
Suggestions that improve site maintenance, hardware, processes, forum, etc (i.e. Usergroup Control Panel, https login)

i think gameplay can be held over for another 6 months to a year while lack upgrades more forum stuff. The site lags on occasion so i think a lot of us would like that to be sorted aswell as improving game finder even more than he just did and ofcourse the big one usergroup leader powers.

hope that helped :)
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Myself, I'd like to see Usergroup Leader powers instituted (as far as a suggestion that could feasibly be done soon). If nothing was off-limits, I'd say Adjacent Attacks, the 12-player increase, Paratroop Reinforcements, and Zombie Spoils are all neat ones that I'd love to see implemented.

As far as the Suggestions process goes, I'd say the gauging of interest in a certain suggestion (and the stickying of approval) doesn't seem to have any solid basis, other than the Suggestion mods' intuition. It would be nice to have at least an informative thread telling what is necessary for a suggestion to be stickied. That is not to say the Suggestions Team isn't doing a fine job - I mean, TFO kicks sugg butt - but it would be nice to have the comfort that their stickying is based on set guidelines.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby 40kguy on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
Which Suggestions should be implemented first?

shorter round time for speed games and then more medals.

Which add-ons should be built into the site?

map rank

What are some outstanding problems that you see with the Suggestions process?

how slow it is

lack providing some sort of feedback on whats happening and when things will come out.

Which should have more priority:

Suggestions that affect gameplay or
Suggestions that improve site maintenance, hardware, processes, forum, etc (i.e. Usergroup Control Panel, https login)

Suggestions that affect gameplay, this is a site for gameing, there for that should be dealt with first.
16:00:18 ā€¹Pixarā€ŗ Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
slowness of the process,not getting enough feedback and the fact that there are 3 pages of suggestions without them being archived as rejected since no community interest.

We just moved over 120 pages from the main area, we can have a break yet? 8-[
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

We cut it down when it reaches 4 pages. 3 has been the threshold for a while now.

-rd

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 am

An option for shorter round times in speed games

Game Labels for private games

Usergroup Leader Powers

Site Integrated Map Rank

Those aren't in any specific order, just they are all good suggestions :)
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks for the input. Keep commenting on my bulleted points, and I'm going to add this one in there right now:

If you were to make an ordered top 10 list of Submitted Suggestions to be Implemented, what would it be?

-rd

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:06 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:Thanks for the input. Keep commenting on my bulleted points, and I'm going to add this one in there right now:

If you were to make an ordered top 10 list of Submitted Suggestions to be Implemented, what would it be?

-rd

My List
1. Paratroop Reinforcements (it fills a gap in the current reinforcement options)
2. Zombie Spoils (will change the way maps are played like Nuclear did)
3. Integrate Map Rank
4. Integrate Watch This Game
5. Allow Assassin & Terminator to be game types available for team play
6. Increase players to 12 (this would allow Assassin & Terminator to be played by 3 Trips or Quads teams)
7. Remove Manual unique kills from everyone's figures for games on maps that didn't have Manual deployment
8. Add a 'Tournaments Participating In' dropdown to Game Finder (similar to TO dropdown recently implemented)
9. Add a Find All Active Games to a players profile
10. Allow medals for ALL game options
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Sniper08 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:02 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Sniper08 wrote:

so our opinions are up for scrutiny? i wrote what my thoughts were about the current system, ppl are gonna be unhappy with what others think .
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
Sniper08 wrote:

so our opinions are up for scrutiny? i wrote what my thoughts were about the current system, ppl are gonna be unhappy with what others think .

I think TFO was more or less joking, please don't let this refrain you or others from keeping your thoughts away.

-rd

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:24 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:[*]What are some outstanding problems that you see with the Suggestions process?

Lack of someone devoted full-time (or even part-time) to improving the website. We hear many promises of things that will be done soon or are in the pipeline, but they just aren't getting done. Suggestions are pointless when they take 3 years to implement.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:55 pm

jakewilliams wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:[*]What are some outstanding problems that you see with the Suggestions process?

Lack of someone devoted full-time (or even part-time) to improving the website. We hear many promises of things that will be done soon or are in the pipeline, but they just aren't getting done. Suggestions are pointless when they take 3 years to implement.

Would you consider this to be pressure for lack to hire a web developer?

-rd

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:21 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:

Would you consider this to be pressure for lack to hire a web developer?

-rd

That or do the job himself. The glacial pace of things changing on this website shows an unprofessional approach to meeting the community's needs. Some of the suggestions are very well thought out, well planned, and easy to implement.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Any more people have a list of things that they think should be done first? Any comments about the Suggs forum structure, etc? I'd really encourage people to list the add-ons that they want to see put in first and why, that would be interesting.

-rd

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 am

Why build any existing add-ons into the site at all? Why not focus on the things that have not been or cannot be provided by the community that have been suggested? That seems to me to be a more fitting use of a web developer's time than merging existing add-on scripts into the site's codebase.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 am

Anyway, here are my top 5 suggestions that I think the web developer should add:

Adjacent Attacks: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=51364
Mass Wall clear option: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=116709
Avatar picture on wall posts: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=123396
Increase player limit to 12: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=113234
Use HTTPS properly across the site: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=136613
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:05 am

jakewilliams wrote:Why build any existing add-ons into the site at all? Why not focus on the things that have not been or cannot be provided by the community that have been suggested? That seems to me to be a more fitting use of a web developer's time than merging existing add-on scripts into the site's codebase.

the reason i am proposing that some add-ons be implemented is because not everyone can use the browser they have been developed for. i will survive if they remain as they are it is just that i think they are so great they should be available to all.

Watch this Game is awesome for TO's and Map Rank for everyone wanting to know how far from a medal they are.

the only other one i use is Speed Turns so i can't comment on them other than to point out that i did not think any of them were worthy of adding-on in the first place.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:42 am

I am still a big fan of the 1 vs 1 team game idea. That could be super cool to play!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 am

Bruceswar wrote:I am still a big fan of the 1 vs 1 team game idea. That could be super cool to play!

I thought we already had that when josko and CoF were on opposite sides?
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 am

jakewilliams wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:I am still a big fan of the 1 vs 1 team game idea. That could be super cool to play!

I thought we already had that when josko and CoF were on opposite sides?

I was wondering when this would be baited out for the trolls to feed on. about 4/5 hours... nice
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:18 pm

jakewilliams, SirSebstar, stop. =;

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby HighlanderAttack on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:08 pm

My list:

1. Have the ability to know what the drop looks like in a fog game before your opponent starts his/her turn--at least know your starting positions. (not sure of any other game where you don't at least know how you started the game)

2. Have an add time button which you can use for all your games maybe once a week or once a month--maybe it adds 12 hours to each game for your turn.

3. Increase the tourney limit medals==30 is so ancient history.

4. Keep up the great work--CC is the best. I have tried two other sites and I didn't even finish the games because the sucked so bad :).
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby jimfinn on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 am

I would love to see Watch This Game integrated - I currently use it as an add-on, but if I use a different PC, I cannot view my watched games.
Jimfinn is looking for regular doubles/triples/quads partners. Please contact him if you are interested!
Corporal 1st Class jimfinn

Postby OliverFA on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:04 am

I agree with everything that Jakewilliams say.

First, I think that we all agree that we would like to see more updates to the site. I am not talking about dozens of updates per year, but maybe 2 or 3 well thought updates. Maybe even 2 would be enough. Let's say Spring update and Autumn update. Each of those updates featuring a big main feature and several small features. That would make the site look a bit more professional. Imagine, a newcomer comes to the site and sees the list of past Autumn and Spring updates, and how each of those updates added a killer feature and several small features. That would encourage them to stay!

Second, with so few updates, why implement what is already available in the form of community add-ons? In my humble opinion this is both a way to waste the very scarce resources available and a way to piss the community members that spent their time doing that update. Apologies if that seems a bit unrespectful, but I imagine I would not feel very happy if I saw that the hours that I spent doing an add-on were useless because that add-on is now in the site. If the site had dozens of updates, that would be understandable. But it's difficult to understand that one of the few updates is exactly a mirror to something a community member already did.

Third, again with so very few updates, implement things that really make a difference. Don't add yet-another-spoil mode. Add things that bring a completely new dimension not present yet in CC! Like the Adjacent Attacks suggestion. It has been around so long and really would bring a new way of playing the site.

Fourth, XML. There are dozens of wonderful ideas in the Foundry about new maps. Unfortulately, they can't be developed because XML does not allow mapmakers to implement those ideas. For this reason I think that the site will greatly benefit from more XML updates. Just a few tag ideas that come to my mind in no particular order: Lighthouses for FoW, Dice Bonus, Reinforcement Only Borders, Game start messages, and, the biggest of them all, TRIGGERS.

I also agree that the Suggestions process is a bit obscure and not transparent at all (again, sorry if that offends someone. I say it with good intention. Not willing to criticize just for the sake of it, but pointing what I think could be improved) and that some feedback from time to time would be nice.

Anyway, here is my list of suggestions that I would like to see implemented:
1-Adjacent Attacks https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 35&t=51364
2-More XML tags so mapmakers can do different and more varied maps viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103961
3-Upkeep Costs: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140398
4-Infected Neutrals: viewtopic.php?f=535&t=40294
5-Increase to 12 players viewtopic.php?f=535&t=113234
6-Adjacent Attacks
7-More XML tags
8-Adjacent Attacks
9-More XML tags
10-Adjacent Attacks
Last edited by OliverFA on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Next

Return to Newsletter Archives