Conquer Club

XML/Gameplay updates

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

XML/Gameplay updates

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:54 pm

hi, i've been gone for a long time and i've got no idea what updates (if any) have been done to the xml.
last time i was here great things were in discussion and from what i remember lack even promised to add some of the features requested by mapmakers.
where could i see a list of such xml features?
from what i remember bombardments and decay where the last things added.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: XML/Gameplay updates

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I guess you could take a look at the XML guides, all the XML features should be listed there...

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=23382&start=0

Off the top of my head, the most notable things we have now are:

- Killer neutrals (territories that reset to neutral when held for 1 round)
- Losing conditions (territories you need to hold to stay in the game)
- Starting positions (you can set territories as starting positions)
- Reinforcement adjustments (adjust the usual 1 for 3 territories bonus)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm

natty_dread wrote:I guess you could take a look at the XML guides, all the XML features should be listed there...

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=23382&start=0

Off the top of my head, the most notable things we have now are:

- Killer neutrals (territories that reset to neutral when held for 1 round)
- Losing conditions (territories you need to hold to stay in the game)
- Starting positions (you can set territories as starting positions)
- Reinforcement adjustments (adjust the usual 1 for 3 territories bonus)

damn. that's all?
i already read that thread and i thought/hoped it was incomplete.

except for losing conditions there's nothing new.... wow
killer neutrals - used them on AoR3
starting positions - used them on AoR series and CC Mogul
reinforcement adjustment - used this on CC Mogul and AoR 3 (i think)

i can't believe it's been 2 and a half years since i left this place and only losing conditions have been added :(

that means i still have lots of maps i can;t make because i'm lacking the necessary xml features :(
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Oh, not exactly an XML update, but we can make supersize maps now, the old size limits don't entirely apply anymore...

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=136363&start=0

edit - we can use continent tags in objectives now.

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm

the bigger map size is truly a great thing to hear.
i always had a problem with the size restrictions. :mrgreen:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:39 am

Yeah, restrictions suck :D

There's currently only one supersize map in play:

http://maps.conquerclub.com/First_Natio ... cas2.L.jpg

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 am

Plus, Christmas and Easter were Supersize. Also, with regards to starting positions, one may now control the maximum number of starting positions one can get (i.e. you could make it so that each player only starts out with 1 castle on Feudal Epic, no matter how many players there are).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 am

are triggers possible in the xml?

for example terit A can attack terit B but only if you also hold terit C.

if it's not possible now is there a chance it might be in the future? or are the xml updates dead in the gutter?
i mean there's only been a single update in 2.5 years so things don't look that good...

edit// one quick question about the supersize maps. what conditions does a map have to meet in order to qualify for a supersize exception?
does it need lots and lots of terits or can it have few terits but lots of beautiful artwork on the side?

edit2// back to xml. random xml selection and random rules are possible?
for example a map might have several xml files and each time a game is initiated a random xml is chosen.
and the random rules mean that inside the xml a terit might have several rules attached to it (decay/deploy/bonus/connections) and after each turn a different set of rules applies to that terit.

edit3// i keep remembering things. :)
12-16 player games. still a dream or it might actually come true at some point in the future?
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:28 pm

DiM wrote:are triggers possible in the xml?

No.

DiM wrote:if it's not possible now is there a chance it might be in the future? or are the xml updates dead in the gutter?

Updates are slow in general, but XML updates have been promised, and lately we have been getting more of them than before. The next XML update should be one that allows collection bonuses to be coded in the XML, reducing the size of XML and allowing more complex bonus schemes for maps.

Also, lackattack is looking for a web developer for the site, which should allow for faster updates when he does.

DiM wrote:i mean there's only been a single update in 2.5 years so things don't look that good...

We've had more than a single update, but the other XML updates haven't been new features, rather they've been improvements in earlier features (such as allowing continent tags in objectives or allowing setting a maximum amount in the starting positions).

DiM wrote:edit// one quick question about the supersize maps. what conditions does a map have to meet in order to qualify for a supersize exception?
does it need lots and lots of terits or can it have few terits but lots of beautiful artwork on the side?

Generally, the gameplay of the map must require the supersize. I don't think they allow it on artwork alone.

DiM wrote:edit2// back to xml. random xml selection and random rules are possible?
for example a map might have several xml files and each time a game is initiated a random xml is chosen.

Nope, not possible.

DiM wrote:edit3// i keep remembering things. :)
12-16 player games. still a dream or it might actually come true at some point in the future?

Nothing official has been announced yet... they might be implemented in the future, but at what time, no one knows.

Postby zimmah on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 am

DiM wrote:hi, i've been gone for a long time and i've got no idea what updates (if any) have been done to the xml.
last time i was here great things were in discussion and from what i remember lack even promised to add some of the features requested by mapmakers.
where could i see a list of such xml features?
from what i remember bombardments and decay where the last things added.

cool i recently rejoined the club as well :)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:46 am

@natty. thanks for the answers. to be honest i'm rather disappointed as i'm unable to finish any of my old projects because of missing xml features :(

@zimmah. hi. i noticed some of the old people had periods of absence as well but they eventually returned. it seems CC nobody can stay away from CC forever :P
Major DiM

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

DiM wrote:@natty. thanks for the answers. to be honest i'm rather disappointed as i'm unable to finish any of my old projects because of missing xml features :(

Which specific features were you hoping for? Hopefully lack will show the foundry some more XML-love in the coming months...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm

MrBenn wrote:
DiM wrote:@natty. thanks for the answers. to be honest i'm rather disappointed as i'm unable to finish any of my old projects because of missing xml features :(

Which specific features were you hoping for? Hopefully lack will show the foundry some more XML-love in the coming months...

a long long time ago there was a thread with xml suggestions. i posted there pretty much everything i wanted. i don't know if it still exists.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Conditional autodeploys, please!

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm

DiM wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

a long long time ago there was a thread with xml suggestions. i posted there pretty much everything i wanted. i don't know if it still exists.

DiM, i think this is the thread you're after.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103961&hilit=xml+modifications
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:30 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

DiM, i think this is the thread you're after.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103961&hilit=xml+modifications

nope. that thread is too new. :)

i'm actually talking about the original xml suggestion thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17885
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:48 pm

DiM wrote:...

i'm actually talking about the original xml suggestion thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17885

Good, you've found what you're looking for, :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:33 am

cairnswk wrote:

:-k It's a shame XML Modifications II doesn't have the nice approval process with the [Yes] [No] [Maybe] tags.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:09 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

:-k It's a shame XML Modifications II doesn't have the nice approval process with the [Yes] [No] [Maybe] tags.

-Sully

what's really a shame is that almost none of the hopes and promises found in the initial thread have been fulfilled.
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:24 pm

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

-Sully

what's really a shame is that almost none of the hopes and promises found in the initial thread have been fulfilled.

lol. welcome back DiM
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:lol. welcome back DiM

cheers widowmakers :mrgreen:
Major DiM

Return to Foundry Discussions