Conquer Club

[Forum] Add BBCode support for [table][/table]

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby newline on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Official Suggestion:
ender516 wrote:Concise description:
  • The BBCode constructs of [
    , , and allow forum posters to construct tables of information without pasting in images or painful exercises in code boxes with monospaced text. However, the current CC forum does not support this feature.

Specifics/Details:
  • Modify the phpBB code to support this feature. This may be something already available from phpBB, or we may need some development done. The phpBB website does seem to have an active community, but I am not familiar enough with it to say just what it would entail to implement my suggestion.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • In the Map Foundry in particular, tables of information can be very useful for discussion and development. Being able to avoid the intermediate steps of creating an image, posting it to a sharing site, and inserting an image link would be very welcome.

<-------------------->

<Subject>:

BBCode tags

<Body>:

BBCode tags
* Would make a table with multiple rows and columns.
* Why it is needed: To help tournament organizers record and display player options in a post. It would tidy up and put all the information in one neat spot, making it easy for entries to make sure their info is correct.

<-------------------->
Sergeant 1st Class newline

Postby hecter on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Something like this may come out with phpBB 3.0, but I don't really know. It is really a suggestion you should be posing to them, as lack won't be implementing it (at least not any time soon). Besides, it would require a lot of coding to be able to just make the table. You're better off with a screenshot of something you made in exel or something like that... I mean, really, what would be more difficult? PrntScrn or:
Code: Select all
[table]
    [th colspan=5]
         Tourny Title
    [/th]
    [tr]
    tourny info, row 1
    [/tr]
*do the above step four more times*
*do the same as above for the next row*
[/table]
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:43 am

Create a spredsheet - save as "Formatted Text (Space Delimited) (*.prm)"

Then copy and paste the contents into a [code] tag.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 am

Yeah, but we could nest images into a table tag, we can't do that with code.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby hecter on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Coleman wrote:Yeah, but we could nest images into a table tag, we can't do that with code.

I think an addition to code tags, say, an [BBcode] tag would be neat. It would allow you to use BBcode in Code tags. I think it would be nice... But that's PHP, not CC.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm

Coleman wrote:Yeah, but we could nest images into a table tag, we can't do that with code.

Why you need an image in yer table?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Concise description:
  • The BBCode constructs of [table][[/table], [tr][/tr], and [td][/td] allow forum posters to construct tables of information without pasting in images or painful exercises in code boxes with monospaced text. However, the current CC forum does not support this feature.

Specifics/Details:
  • Modify the phpBB code to support this feature. This may be something already available from phpBB, or we may need some development done. The phpBB website does seem to have an active community, but I am not familiar enough with it to say just what it would entail to implement my suggestion.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • In the Map Foundry in particular, tables of information can be very useful for discussion and development. Being able to avoid the intermediate steps of creating an image, posting it to a sharing site, and inserting an image link would be very welcome.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Add BBCode support for [table][/table]

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I might use this for tournaments, if it wasn't too complicated to use
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 pm

You can see an example of this on the BBCode Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Basically, the [table][/table] construct surrounds [tr][/tr] (table row) which surrounds [td][/td] (table data). It might get a bit bulky, but should be straightforward to use.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 pm

I had brought this up to Andy a while ago, and I think they put it down to be worked on so that it could be operable with less tags. Good suggestion nonetheless, however.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 am

it would make my life easier as a TO. i have a lot of tournaments where i use the code tags to create a table showing win/lost for each player.

great idea
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:35 am

I like this suggestion!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 am

Blakebowling actually did some work on this, but his solution to getting such BBCode was something like 6 separate BBCodes that work together to make a table, which seemed very un-userfriendly. However, I think he was onto a much better solution with only 1 BBCode. Perhaps I'll see if I can jump start that again.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:I had brought this up to Andy a while ago, and I think they put it down to be worked on so that it could be operable with less tags. Good suggestion nonetheless, however.

-rd

A latex style table input with "&" separating cells and "\\" ending rows would be a good idea, for example. But then I guess you'd need a way to escape an & symbol if you actually needed it in your table.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:I had brought this up to Andy a while ago, and I think they put it down to be worked on so that it could be operable with less tags. Good suggestion nonetheless, however.

-rd

A latex style table input with "&" separating cells and "\\" ending rows would be a good idea, for example. But then I guess you'd need a way to escape an & symbol if you actually needed it in your table.

The standard(?) method of [td][/td] around cells and [tr][/tr] around rows would not be much more to type, and the system already has to recognize [anything][/anything]. It's probably better not to throw different syntactical forms into the mix.

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:33 pm

ender516 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

-rd

The standard(?) method of [td][/td] around cells and [tr][/tr] around rows would not be much more to type, and the system already has to recognize [anything][/anything]. It's probably better not to throw different syntactical forms into the mix.

i'd be happy to use the 3 codes to bring a table together if they implement it as i can't imagine how 1 BBCode would know where my cells & rows end
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 pm

ender516 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

-rd

You or I might think that, having worked with, say, HTML for many years. But I'm not convinced that the "average" forum-goer would find this mix of syntax confusing, since many don't have a reasonable expectation of what code should look like anyway.

Postby dowian2 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm in favor of this suggestion as well. Would be very useful for tournaments.
Major dowian2

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
ender516 wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

-rd

You or I might think that, having worked with, say, HTML for many years. But I'm not convinced that the "average" forum-goer would find this mix of syntax confusing, since many don't have a reasonable expectation of what code should look like anyway.

Maybe so, but mixing syntax leads to weird stuff. As it is now, if your post has something in square brackets, it is special, otherwise it is plain text. I wouldn't want to have to watch for other special strings as well. But, in the end, what really matters is a feature that works. The rest is detail.

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 pm

ender516 wrote:Maybe so, but mixing syntax leads to weird stuff. As it is now, if your post has something in square brackets, it is special, otherwise it is plain text. I wouldn't want to have to watch for other special strings as well. But, in the end, what really matters is a feature that works. The rest is detail.

Absolutely. I don't want to bog this thread down with syntax discussions anyway. Let it suffice to say that this would be a neat thing to implement, although perhaps with not too grand of a scope outside Tournaments.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

The Academy might be able to find use for this. Keeping charts of progress for students, perhaps.

-rd

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:The Academy might be able to find use for this. Keeping charts of progress for students, perhaps.

-rd

Clans and Usergroups could use it much the same way to track & display their member's activities.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:03 am

To expand on this, I think that having 2 tags would be sufficient. We already have the list function, which can use two (one for bullets, one for [list]), and this probably is one of those things that could be used similarly. Just a thought, as it would be incredibly useful!

-rd

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 am

I think you will need three tags. With the list, you have the tag around the whole list and the tags that mark the separations. In a sense, it marks positions in one dimension. WIth a table, you need to mark positions in two dimensions: row markers and column markers.

Postby jpcloet on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 pm

If you are going for a display all you really need is a single bbcode and a javascript to go with it. I'm not sure what you think people are going to do with the [th] anyways.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Next

Return to Suggestions