Conquer Club

Yet Another GM Tutorial [Tutorial]

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Yet Another GM Tutorial [Tutorial]

Postby Frop on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Greasemonkey Tutorial v1.0

The aim of this tutorial is to provide monkeyproof instructions on how to get useful Greasemonkey scripts like BOB and Clickable Maps up & running.

Firefox is one of the superior browsers that has been blasting Internet Explorer out of the water ever since its inception. Fast, secure and versatile, once you've gone Firefox you won't go back!

Greasemonkey is a Mozilla Firefox plug-in that enables you to customize and add functionality to any web page through the use of scripts. This can range from adding extra Google search fields to pimping your Conquer Club experience.

BOB is the most versatile of scripts around and for instance provides you with easy-to-read statistics (territory/army counts, bonuses, etc.), Map Inspect (shows attack and defend paths, connecting territories, etc.) and confirmation dialogs for auto attacks, fortifications and phase ends.

Clickable Maps is the freestyle speedgamer's script of choice - you can play your entire turn through handy keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks on the map itself. It enables you to instantly deploy, attack, advance and fortify any number of armies by simply using your mouse in combination with other hotkeys.

All these components can be used alongside eachother and are regularly updated with new features and bug fixes.

Step 1 - Mozilla Firefox

You can find the download link for the English(!) version of Firefox here. If you wish to get it in your native language please follow the 'Other Systems and Languages' link beneath the 'Download Firefox' button.

The installation is pretty straightforward, it does not require much user interaction and even offers you the opportunity to import your bookmarks and other settings from Internet Explorer.

Step 2 - Greasemonkey

You can find the download link for the latest version of Greasemonkey here.

Press 'Add to Firefox', wait for the dialog box and press 'Install'. After the installation is done you will be prompted to restart Firefox, afterwards you can check if Greasemonkey is activated and running properly by the happy or sad monkey icon in the lower right hand corner of your browser. If necessary click it once to make the monkey happy again!

Step 3.1 - BOB

You can find the official BOB thread here. You can find the download link on the first page or here.

Press 'Install this script', wait for the dialog box and press 'Install'. The next time you browse to a game the script will fully activate itself. As you might've noticed an additional 'BOB Menu' has appeared on the left side of your screen - all of BOB's options are configurable here, for a full explanation of every feature please click the 'Help/Info' button.

One of the latest features is an update notifier, once a new version is released to the public it will flash 'Update Available' in red. Visit that link and follow the same steps as above, you are not required to uninstall your previous version of BOB.

Step 3.2 - Clickable Maps

You can find the offical Clickable Maps thread here. You can find the download link on the first page or here.

Press 'Install this script', wait for the dialog box and press 'Install'. The next time you browse to a game the script will fully activate itself. As you might've noticed an additional 'Clickable Maps v#.##' menu has appeared on the left side of your screen - all of CM's options are configurable here, for a full explanation of every feature please click the 'User Guide' button.

You can manually check for script updates through the 'Check for Updates' button.

Questions?

Hopefully this tutorial has succeeded in teaching you the Greasemonkey basics - if you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me here.
Captain Frop

Re: Yet Another GM Tutorial

Postby chipv on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Excellent tutorial, first class, and now a great link for GM scripts posted on this forum.
Captain chipv

Postby lancehoch on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:21 pm

You should add Turn Watch or ConquerTell to the list (probably both). Otherwise, I cannot find any flaws.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Frop on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 am

lancehoch wrote:You should add Turn Watch or ConquerTell to the list (probably both). Otherwise, I cannot find any flaws.

No problem, that's exactly why I numbered the paragraphs the way I did. Definitely meant to amend the tutorial to include other scripts. Just wish this forum had some sort of 'hide' function for the different sections so as not to throw too much information at the reader right away...
Captain Frop

Postby MARCVS ANNIHILVS on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:01 pm

hey just curious where does that pic with the 2 monkeys with sticks come from?
Sergeant 1st Class MARCVS ANNIHILVS

Postby blakebowling on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm

MARCUS ANNIHILUS wrote:hey just curious where does that pic with the 2 monkeys with sticks come from?

I believe it is the spanking monkeys signature, but I have been mistaken before.
Private blakebowling

Re: Yet Another GM Tutorial [Tutorial]

Postby Frop on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 am

I had no idea this was still up after 3 years. :XD I see all the images have disappeared by now and that it desperately needs to be updated. I'll have a look at it next week.
Captain Frop

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 am

Before you spend a lot of time on updating this, take a look at the Conquer Club User Guides. This is an announcement in the Available Tools/Enhancements subforum of the Tools & Enhancements forum. The guides are very detailed, with lots of screen shots, and they contain information about the most popular add-ons.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Frop on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:02 pm

ender516 wrote:Before you spend a lot of time on updating this, take a look at the Conquer Club User Guides. This is an announcement in the Available Tools/Enhancements subforum of the Tools & Enhancements forum. The guides are very detailed, with lots of screen shots, and they contain information about the most popular add-ons.

True enough, that's a pretty impressive collection of guides. This thread might as well be unstickied (and it would be rather handy if the User Guides are stickied in Tools & Enhancements as well, seeing that it clearly supersedes my sticky). :D
Captain Frop

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 pm

I wondered about the location of the Guides myself. They do describe available tools, but I am left wondering what is supposed to be up at this level.

Postby Frop on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:37 am

ender516 wrote:I wondered about the location of the Guides myself. They do describe available tools, but I am left wondering what is supposed to be up at this level.

I'm assuming the average user will first check out the root of Tools & Enhancements. Just a hyperlink there to the guides would be enough.
Captain Frop

Postby littlejerry on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:44 am

Frop wrote:
ender516 wrote:Before you spend a lot of time on updating this, take a look at the Conquer Club User Guides. This is an announcement in the Available Tools/Enhancements subforum of the Tools & Enhancements forum. The guides are very detailed, with lots of screen shots, and they contain information about the most popular add-ons.

True enough, that's a pretty impressive collection of guides. This thread might as well be unstickied (and it would be rather handy if the User Guides are stickied in Tools & Enhancements as well, seeing that it clearly supersedes my sticky). :D

I don't know what a sticky is, but please let's keep this guide. It's a good, complete (in my opinion) introduction w/o being overly detailed (which would be confusing and/or time-consuming). There are new references to this guide (which is how I found it). And thanks to Ender, it now has a reference to additional information. (You may even decide to add that link to your initial post). =D>
Corporal 1st Class littlejerry

Postby ender516 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:23 pm

littlejerry wrote:
Frop wrote:

I don't know what a sticky is, but please let's keep this guide. It's a good, complete (in my opinion) introduction w/o being overly detailed (which would be confusing and/or time-consuming). There are new references to this guide (which is how I found it). And thanks to Ender, it now has a reference to additional information. (You may even decide to add that link to your initial post). =D>
A "sticky" is a topic that has been given special status so that it does not slide off the first page of a forum as it gets older. These are the ones with an exclamation point icon.
This topic will continue to be available through the Tool Archives forum.

Return to Tool Archives